Allowable sparks exiting muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My friend just called me and explained that his Husky 281XP is throwing small sparks from the muffler. A few sparks sound allowable. What causes excessive sparks to exit the muffler? The saw is equipped with a spark arrestor, any maintenance on that item? Thanks

Yeah my buddy is positive about the sparks coming from the muffler. He runs Stihl oil 40:1 mix.

whoa, sounds freaky, never had any sparks fly from muffler...

thou sparks flying a bit when limbing a huge spruce is common....

As far as Im concerned their All allowed to come out of the exhaust, as long as they dont start a fire.

A lot of the old saws I work on will blow out copious amounts of sparks when fired up after a long nap. Sometimes even after being run for a few minutes. I think this is due to thermal shock of the excess carbon in the cylinder.

If this saw was just woke up this could be the cause.

blis said:
whoa, sounds freaky, never had any sparks fly from muffler...

thou sparks flying a bit when limbing a huge spruce is common....

Run your saw hard at night... You'd be amazed what sparks!

sparks

Has the duly elected secretary of the wildland firefighters needing more overtime from the American taxpayer committee, (WFNMOTFTATC), you bet saws throw sparks.

The saw is an older 281XP that my buddy got for his recent B-Day. I guess the previous owner stored it in the garage most of the time. Since he has gotten it, the saw has cut approximately 2 cords. He uses Stihl Oil and 92 octane with 40:1 mix ratio. The saw runs great with no probelms. The sparks emitting from the muffler is something that has recently developed. He took the muffler apart and cleaned it out. Not sure how it's performing now.

Back