Almost 27 years old and still making money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

262 husky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got my choice of a saw for high school graduation, no beach vacations or things, I wanted a new saw. I chose a husky 262xp even though my father tried to talk me into a 265. I kept looking at the hp and rpm and just knew the 262 would be perfect for me cutting firewood. I used the saw to cut a lot of firewood for the first 5 years or so, then I got too busy to sell firewood as a side job. The husky still cuts about 10 or so tandem dump trucks per year of firewood that I use for my house and farm shop. The saw always gets used other times of the year but mostly in January. The last 5 years or so I have contracts with the state for hurricane or other storm debris cleanup, and still the husky always starts, always works and still makes me money. This past weekend we had a big ice storm, I had a crew of people with me, but I always reach for the same saw from 1994, the only time it shut off was for fuel and oil this past weekend. We worked 35 hours straight with the same crew clearing highways and I can't imagine how lucky I got choosing that saw that day. I have bought other saws over the years of course, I have a second 262 I bought a few years ago, a 372xp that I bought when I cleared my house lot, a 55 that I bought my father after his super 25 poulan was borrowed out of the back of his truck. I still always reach for the 262, the 372 is nice and plenty of power but the 262 is a perfect saw. I have always joked that it was going in the ground with me when I pass away, but it would seem like a waste of a good saw honestly. I have never been through the engine in 27years, I have always had a 24 in bar on the saw, I think I have replaced fuel line a few times, a few pullcords and actually very few spark plugs and it has never let me down. I have only used husqvarna oil in it since day one. There are some days that I just love to hear it idle and smell the exhaust call me weird but it sure is relaxing

I've got a 262 I was traded for fixing a Wisconsin engine for a fellow cranberry grower last year, and have another with aftermarket piston and cylinder that was burnt up and I refurbed last year. I agree on it being one of the best Huskies I've run. I feel the same as you do about my first Husky.....a 1982 266 se/xp .I was clearing land to build bog and a co-worker from the high school I taught at had a 266 he let me try when we were cutting together. I ran out the next day and traded my Homelite 410 in on a new 266. It was my primary saw from 82 till now and cleared 25 acres of land or so. One recoil rope, 2 plugs, one carb retightening, and more bars and chains then I can count. Always starts, runs and cuts. The last couple of years I've been playing with saws and don't use her so much as I want to try out my new girls LOL.....still my first love though....She's had nothing but Husky XP oil in her.

Basic technology 2&3 series chainsaws - easy to work on and maintained will last for a long time, Bought a used 266xp a couple of weeks ago for 200$, - good looking and compression is amazing and runs great, - will take the time to go over it and clean it up but Just couldn't resist buying it, owned them before and great saws built to last.

Latest posts

Back