Almost ashamed to ask, Poulan question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gt2003

gt2003

ArboristSite Member
Yep, those are a lot of my same thoughts. "If I'd have just spent the money X number of years ago this probably wouldn't be happening now..." I will tell you one thing, if this is the start of continuous problems with the saw then I will not keep sinking money into it. If these are all the problems I have with it in the next few years then the repair is well worth it to me. No more than I use it, it really has done an excellent job for me. I can't complain about spending 50 bucks on it after all the times I've fired it up and completed random, small chores here and there. It doesn't get regular use but has always been ready when i've needed it. It fires up and is ready to go. Thanks for the comments and i'll give the final "damage" figures ($$$) once I get it back. Thanks again, Greg

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Also think about this. it would have been a good saw to learn to do the work yourself on and get the parts for almost nothing, from all the parts saws on ebay and friends etc. You might of had $10-$15 in it if you had tried yourself, maybe next time try it and good luck. pretty easy with the good people here to lead you every step of the way.

NEK VT

NEK VT

ArboristSite Operative
why I won't buy poulan any more

I saw give or take 12 cords a year 10 all hard wood and 2 softwood and limbs any way I am lucky to get a full 1.5 yeas out of a poulan before it just wears out.... I mix fule properly.... even a bit rich some times... but the moter just wears out....

vapnut257

vapnut257

ArboristSite Operative
I keep my Poulan on hand for when my Husqvarna 359 and Stih 028 are in the shop being repaired. I've never had to put the thing in the shop, I just work on iy myself and if I mess it up, what have I lost? A air filter for a Stihl cost me $28, for that much, how many parts can you buy for that lowly Poulan and keep it running? I'd keep it if I were you.

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Poulan

I have had really good luck with my little 2550, it has a good anti vibe and just keeps going! It was what brought me to this sight just looking for info. But most of the guys on here are saw snobs anyway. But I don't care it has been very good to me and will start when it is -30 most of these guy's would be dead in that temp! Keep it if it wont cost you much! I used a saw when I was young often as a smoke jumper it was a husky so I do have a bit of experience with a saw! I Just have not found anything wrong with it but then it might be one of a thousand?

Chainsaw Master

Chainsaw Master

ArboristSite Operative
A couple months ago I picked up 2 recon'd poulans on sale at Big lots. I got one to run a log wizzard for cleaning logs, and the other 'cause they was only $80 ea. Something I noticed after getting them home, was that the , "Woods Shark" which has a durability period of 125 hrs, while the Poulan Pro PP142 had only 50 durability hrs....I thought that odd......

keith c raymond

keith c raymond

ArboristSite Operative
This site has been the source of stories about that same saw that has been modded woth good result.For a home owner ,is is a good saw.I Imagine more harm has come to them when users leave gas in them and dont do anything to them for years then expect them to start.

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good point

This site has been the source of stories about that same saw that has been modded woth good result.For a home owner ,is is a good saw.I Imagine more harm has come to them when users leave gas in them and dont do anything to them for years then expect them to start.
Yes if you keep care of it it will last, the better saws will take more abuse but when you think of it it is still abuse!

gt2003

gt2003

ArboristSite Member
Repair myself? Maybe next time

After watching the guy at the hardware store disassemble the saw, I am seriously considering doing future repairs myself. I mean he went through the whole saw pretty much and it didn't take him much time at all. Heck, If I can't fix it I can always take it to him and say "hey, this thing stopped running, don't know whats wrong with it". Bet he loves people like me, lol. I'll let you all talk me through it and I doubt I'll have any troubles at all. Thanks, Greg

troutfisher

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite

To prepare a saw for a long sit on the shelf,I was told to empty the fuel tank and then run the saw until it quits. When you add fresh gas months later it should start right up.

scottr
Displacement

Scott, went out to the saw shed to gawk at the saws, the woodshark sticker says mod pp3314 42cc tcw, and the other says pp4218 42cc tcw.....or twc

Chainsaw Master , on my 38cc PP220 there is a sticker that has a family number , a displacement number , and a serial number . My displacement number is 42cc EM , but the saw has 38 cc . The poulan website has a chainsaw section that shows each of your saws and gives the specs . You can also download the IPL . If you don't believe me or the website you can call the factory in ARK. toll free and ask why they have several saws in the same family that have different displacements .

Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
I think the wild thing will do ok in the homeowners or true occaisonal user's stable. A lot of us who are not pros do extensive sidework and cut a lot of firewood or something of that nature, therefore we tend to like teh user friendly Stihls Huskys, Dolmars, Echos, Jonsreds etc. But you shouldn't feel like you need to apologize for posting about a poulan. I am curious, when you got the low profile chain, did you get the green label 63PM1 or the yellow label 63PM? A friend of mine has a craftsman version of a similar saw and I sent him after a 91VS Oregon chain and teh shop would not make him one, since obviously he isn't a pro. I look at it this way...all thjose chains acan and will cut you to pieces if youa re careless, and they can all be used safely with due care. I also doubt you will see extensive kickback with a 42cc saw and 3/8 lo pro chain, even the "pro" chain unless you are being very careless. Still PPE is a good idea, and lots of caution and respect is a must.

gt2003

gt2003

ArboristSite Member
Thanks for the votes of confidence in the Poulan. I am a true homeowner and only use it in that arena. I don't mind the saw at all, I was expecting maybe a little ridicule from the experts. Wow, how you all have surprised me. Professionals all the way. The most the saw has done is cut up some trees from an ice storm. Other than that its just little jobs here and there.

Don't get me to lying about the chain. If I remember correctly, the box had a yellow label on it. It was a low profile chain, similar to the Oregon chains that I had. Is there a yellow labeled, low profile chain? What I really wanted was one of those steroid chains that sticks about 3 feet or so (maybe only 3-4mm but a lot more than the low profiles) above the bar. They look like they could tear up just about anything. Unfortunately I was out in the shop watching the owner tear apart my saw while the guy inside made my new chain. I wish I hadn't thrown out the box. I'll check at the hardware store and see what he fixed me up with. Thanks, Greg

gt2003

gt2003

ArboristSite Member
No time to get to the hardware store today. My saw should hopefully be ready tomorrow. I'll f/u with a post on how it performs. The weather is supposed to blow in an ice storm tomorrow. With a little luck, maybe it will blow some branches down and I'll have to fire up the saw.

Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
Only chainsaw you will miss is the one you let get away. If you own it already, fix it, if it is cost-effective. If you dont like it for whatever reason, get ya another one. You will still have the ole Poulan. My dad has an old Poulan, and he swears by it...(by the way, he also has a 036 Stihl ) :laugh:

Latest posts