Almost bought the 044 Muffler cover today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stump doctor

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Went to the Stihl dealer today after reading here that they sell a muffler cover with an extra hole for the 044. I left with the ElastoStart handle but did not think the $50.00 they were asking for the cover with the very small hole in it was worth it.

Does anyone on this site sell moded mufflers for the 044?
I could always mod my own which I may end up doing with a couple of bushings and a stick of brazing rod. Not really sure what size I.D bushings to get though.

I did have a chance to closly look their new saws over. I was supprised to find the only saws that still had magnesium covers on the left side were the MS440 and larger all the rest were plastic. My old 028AVS was magnesium. Sure hope these new saws are still as bullet proof as the ones built 20 years ago were.

stump doctor said:
Does anyone on this site sell moded mufflers for the 044?
I could always mod my own which I may end up doing with a couple of bushings and a stick of brazing rod. Not really sure what size I.D bushings to get though.

Do a search on the chainsaw forum and you find a lot of good reading. this is one example....044 muffler mods

stump doctor said:
....I did have a chance to closly look their new saws over. I was supprised to find the only saws that still had magnesium covers on the left side were the MS440 and larger all the rest were plastic. .......
Well, my MS361 from late 2004 has magnesium covers on both sides. :)

mag

Pro saws, excepting the 270/280, are still full magnesium cases. You are looking at the starter, which is plastic. As far as I am concerned, that is an improvement.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Doc- $50 is flat out ridiculous. I just bought a muffler cover for TRUSSMAN on here, and sent it to him. My dealer sells them for $29 +tax. I sold it to him for $37 to cover shipping. I'd be glad to do the same for you. Let me know if you're interested.

Jeff

Thanks for the offer Jeff! I will check with a few other dealers in the area as I thought the price was extreme.

I am finding that we have 3 dealers within 20 miles and I think they must get together and Price fix as they offer virtually zero discounts on new saws. Can someone please tell me what the MS200 is going for, also a MS361 at a good Stihl dealer? Or is it just the way it is with Stihl dealers in my part of the country full retail plus a dealer markup? :confused:

stump doctor said:
Thanks for the offer Jeff! I will check with a few other dealers in the area as I thought the price was extreme.

I am finding that we have 3 dealers within 20 miles and I think they must get together and Price fix as they offer virtually zero discounts on new saws. Can someone please tell me what the MS200 is going for, also a MS361 at a good Stihl dealer? Or is it just the way it is with Stihl dealers in my part of the country full retail plus a dealer markup? :confused:

Make sure they aren't trying to sell you the entire muffler. I've heard of some dealers who don't think the dual port cover is avialable on it's own. It is. Some want to sell you the whole thing.

The pice tag on the 200T I just bought was $509. When I bought my 361 last year, I paid $540, but I've heard that that retial price has gone up to around $600.

There's been several thread on Stihl dealer's pricing. Do a search on here and you'll have alot of reading. Yeah, there's some gougers out there, but most guys are just trying to pay their bills.

Jeff

Just bought a 044 muffler cover # ST1128 140 0801 for my MS 440 , the cost in Cincinnati is $31.00 + $2.16 Tax + $2.25 for shipping( :censored: ) for a total of $35.41 . I would say it was a worthwhile investment.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Make sure they aren't trying to sell you the entire muffler. I've heard of some dealers who don't think the dual port cover is avialable on it's own.Jeff

Update: I called the same store today and told them I was confused on the $50 price they quoted for a ported 044 muffler cover. I told them they were selling at other dealers for $28- $32 He looked it up and said that the price is in fact $32 and he would let me have it for $28. The other lady must have quoted the entire muffler although she told me the plain cover was $30 so I don't know what really happened. Bottom line is I bought the cover and will install it with the Elastostart handle. I am amazed how small the hole is though.

I had a chance to look at their saws again. Sure do like the look of the 0361 it does not feel that heavy to me and I know it will make more power then the 028AV it will replace. I think they were asking $569 Cash price I like this dealer and he has always treated me right in the past and I think he would throw in an extra chain. I would probably run it with an 18" or 16" bar.

Originally I was looking at the MS200 which is nice but the 036 seems so much more saw for the money. Decisions, Decisons.......

stump doctor said:
Originally I was looking at the MS200 which is nice but the 036 seems so much more saw for the money. Decisions, Decisons.......

Like I said before, the 200 is a specialized, albeit nice saw. Specialized saws fill small niches and often don't lend themselves well to tasks outside those roles. I just bought the 200T, and while the thought of it being used to clear up small stuff and firewood on the ground is appealing due to it's light weight and maneuverability, in reality, it's just not ideal for that. It's ideal for it's intened job-up in the tree. The 361 will do everything and more than the 200 will, and it will share the same bar and chain as your 044.

Get the 361.

Jeff

Back