Almost has the driveway cleared out...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenToys

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
..until my friend who's wife volunteers at the church down the road a piece calls me and says some "pine trees" blew down during TS Irene and didn't have the funds to get rid of it. 3 trailer loads later I got another 2 cord and more coming when this is split.
[yes, I know it's locust...they kept calling it pine trees]
Looks like I am parking on the other side of the house again. :msp_sneaky:

"Pine trees?", I'd keep that secret... People who buy wood around here don't know what Locust is, they only want Oak. I'm not telling them what AWESOME firewood Locust is, I'll sell them the Oak & keep my Locust!

"Pine trees?", I'd keep that secret... People who buy wood around here don't know what Locust is, they only want Oak. I'm not telling them what AWESOME firewood Locust is, I'll sell them the Oak & keep my Locust!

Exactly. I am a very lucky guy...at a cost, at a cost. I went from heating my hourse for over 30 years with nothing but willow to heating it now with nothing but locust. From the bottom of the rankings to the top in one jump. All due to a little insect - the Locust Borer that is killing all the locust here.

It makes me sick to see those fine old trees, most planted by the settlers dying off but they look fine in my woodyard.

Harry K

Nice Score!! Looks like you and Harry both did well with that free stuff.

Locust here is all the scrub wood - it literally pops up everywhere! It's usually the first to come over with big windstorms too i'm beginning to notice.
The trees themselves must have been about 60-70' or so and near pole-straight. Out of the the trees - one snapped about 15' off the ground; all the others were tipped out of their roots.

Locust here is all the scrub wood - it literally pops up everywhere! It's usually the first to come over with big windstorms too i'm beginning to notice.
The trees themselves must have been about 60-70' or so and near pole-straight. Out of the the trees - one snapped about 15' off the ground; all the others were tipped out of their roots.

It grows in the hedgerows here, & like you said, blows over easily. Kind of funny that so many blow over, considering that they have so few branches compared to other species & the leaves are so small. Also, something kills a ton of them before they get very big.

Just curious if you know what variety of Locust we have here on the Island? I feel as if it is one variety I see everywhere at least where I work on the North Shore. I would venture to say after Irene and the heavy windstorms from last year 95% of the tree's that were down were Locust.

Just curious if you know what variety of Locust we have here on the Island? I feel as if it is one variety I see everywhere at least where I work on the North Shore. I would venture to say after Irene and the heavy windstorms from last year 95% of the tree's that were down were Locust.
I think yellow locust 'is' black locust...after some wikipedia research they seem to be all part of this : ( Robinia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) .. which also mentions natural hybridization along with 10 different natural varieties. I have had Locusts that are really dark brown/black grained and had some near flourescent yellow when cutting. some with big thorns, some smooth, i honestly can not say for certain which is which.
I'm in the middle of the forks here (11901) and I have seen numerous varieties on both sides.

Latest posts

Back