Almost refused free elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a look at the tree today. Standing dead, finished dying this spring. Tree co going to cut it down in the next week or so, limb it and leave the THREE trunks for me. should be a couple cord. And it is right next to the driveway, load and go.

stihly dan,

Either American or Rock elm.
Nice firewood either way and I have a feeling this winter is a repeat of last so a couple cords of elm will go a long way to keeping toasty feet this winter.

haveawoody,
Rock Elm does not split into a triple-trunk tree... at least I've never seen such.
A couple cord just from the trunks?? Rock Elm that size?? Hardly... at least no where near a common occurrence.
And a Rock Elm that large, growing next to a driveway, in New Hampshire?? Not impossible... but I'd call BS in a heartbeat.
Only two "common" elms fit the description from stihly dan, American and Siberian... my bet's on American.
(shrug)

Monsoon tomorrow, so later in the week I will stop in and take a pic. Then figure out how to get it from the phone to here.
Haveawoody- can't imagine it would be ready for this winter, its going in the 19/20 section.

We have an abundance of Siberian Elm around here. It's actually one of the best hardwoods we have available as oak, hickory and other good wood doesn't grow here aside from a rare black locust. I never turn it down unless I didn't have a hydro splitter.

stihly dan,

If it's been standing dead for a while split and a month or so and it's usually ready to go.
A good sign standing dead elm just needs a month or so to remove residual moisture is if bark is falling off in sheets.
I've cut standing dead elm that was ready to burn that day and others that needed 3 more months.
All the limb wood generally is ready on day 1, the upper main trunk a couple weeks after splitting and the lower trunk 1-2 months.

elm 002.jpg elm 003.jpg elm 001.jpg elm 001.jpg elm 002.jpg elm 001.jpg

Here are the pics, better come thru as this was a 2 hr post. Stupid pics from phone. Watcha think spidey American yard tree horrible elm.

I've said it more than some of you might like to hear, but Elm is my absolute favorite! Red, White, Siberian, or whatever.

One of the reasons was already mentioned in this thread, that it doesn't pop or spit and it's plenty hot in our open fireplace, causing us to sometimes have to crack open and door and window to let some cold air in.

I have two cords of it that I got last Spring (2013) and am looking forward to burning it this Winter. I hope I can come across some more soon to start curing for next year!

stihly dan,

IMO it's American elm.
All the limb wood should be ready to burn soon after cutting it to size but the main trunk with the amount of bark still on it I think will be a couple months after splitting before it's ready.
If you plan to start burning it about Nov on you should be fine to go.

BillNole,

You got it Elm is fine firewood.
Sometimes a little more work than others but then if Elm was easy I wouldn't keep getting mountains of it delivered from tree companies that won't spend 5% more time:)

010.jpg 008.jpg 008.jpg 012.jpg

Went to get the wood today, to my unhappy surprise it was all cut up and ready to go. I invited a coworker to come get some, so he got an 8' bed worth aswell. Figure I have 1 1/4 cord. Got home stacked the pile and split the very bottom section of the tree, 48% moisture according to the meter. 15' up 42%, 6" branch 35%. Oh and what killed the tree? I am thinking butterflies.
014.jpg

View attachment 364602 View attachment 364603 View attachment 364603 View attachment 364604

Went to get the wood today, to my unhappy surprise it was all cut up and ready to go. I invited a coworker to come get some, so he got an 8' bed worth aswell. Figure I have 1 1/4 cord. Got home stacked the pile and split the very bottom section of the tree, 48% moisture according to the meter. 15' up 42%, 6" branch 35%. Oh and what killed the tree? I am thinking butterflies.
]

Fossil giant prehistoric butterflies!

!#^%&^$@## Godzilla right behind them!

Latest posts

Back