Almost that time of year again.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisneaky

Lost in the woods
Reaction score
Temps are supposed to drop into 50s for highs and 30s for lows in the next few weeks here. I was wondering when do you guys and gals usually start firing up your wood burning stoves, furnaces, or fire places? I'm going to try and not use any LP this year and heat with wood so I might start some small fires soon.

Dam dude, where are you at? 30's already? The fireplace normally gets lit around the end of October/beginning of November timeframe. Once the house has a tough time staying warm with a couple baseboard heaters running, it's time to shut it down and let the wood heat take over.

End of October here there is normally snow on the ground. I have made a fire in the stove almost every night this last week. Been in the upper 30s low 40s at night, 50s in the day.

No 30's here yet, but lows in the 40's end of this week... 30's won't be far behind. Normally it's end of October before we fire-up also, but, the way this summer as been so cool, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm lightin' the firebox this month.

Everything has an early fall look to it... more like mid-to-late September 'round here. The undergrowth in the woodlot has already thinned noticeably, I can see much further in than I could just a week ago. The grasses in the ditches are all headed-out, and some of the oaks have dropped near half their leaves. Even the river "looks" cold... and I hear the Walleyes have started hitting already. There is something strange, or weird about it though... (some) oaks are droppin' leaves at an increasing rate, yet I haven't seen a single acorn on the ground.... and although the hard maples are still holding on to their leaves, I ain't seeing' any pods. The oak leaves ain't really "changing", they're just shriveling-up and falling, still sort'a greenish-brown in color... almost like they "know" there ain't time for a lazy shut-down, or the normal change of color, and such. Same with the squirrels and chipmunks... they seem to be working with urgency.

My wife grows little decorative pumpkins (more like gourds) every year in the garden... they're ready to be harvested already‼ Heck, I don't remember ever harvesting them before October... ever‼ The cucumbers stopped producing over a week ago, the tomatoes have all but shut-down, and all the onions have been pulled. I know the calender says September 3rd... but damn, except for the green leaves on most of the trees, it just "feels" more like October 3rd 'round here.

I'm thinkin' this month will be interesting to watch as it unfolds.

I actually harvested a pumpkin 2 weeks ago. My garden is totally done. Sure is weird this year.

No 30's here yet, but lows in the 40's end of this week... 30's won't be far behind. Normally it's end of October before we fire-up also, but, the way this summer as been so cool, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm lightin' the firebox this month.

Everything has an early fall look to it... more like mid-to-late September 'round here. The undergrowth in the woodlot has already thinned noticeably, I can see much further in than I could just a week ago. The grasses in the ditches are all headed-out, and some of the oaks have dropped near half their leaves. Even the river "looks" cold... and I hear the Walleyes have started hitting already. There is something strange, or weird about it though... (some) oaks are droppin' leaves at an increasing rate, yet I haven't seen a single acorn on the ground.... and although the hard maples are still holding on to their leaves, I ain't seeing' any pods. The oak leaves ain't really "changing", they're just shriveling-up and falling, still sort'a greenish-brown in color... almost like they "know" there ain't time for a lazy shut-down, or the normal change of color, and such. Same with the squirrels and chipmunks... they seem to be working with urgency.

My wife grows little decorative pumpkins (more like gourds) every year in the garden... they're ready to be harvested already‼ Heck, I don't remember ever harvesting them before October... ever‼ The cucumbers stopped producing over a week ago, the tomatoes have all but shut-down, and all the onions have been pulled. I know the calender says September 3rd... but damn, except for the green leaves on most of the trees, it just "feels" more like October 3rd 'round here.

I'm thinkin' this month will be interesting to watch as it unfolds.

Dam dude, where are you at? 30's already? The fireplace normally gets lit around the end of October/beginning of November timeframe. Once the house has a tough time staying warm with a couple baseboard heaters running, it's time to shut it down and let the wood heat take over.

Northern Wisconsin

Wood boiler puts out too much heat until temps are consistently at or below 30 so that's mid November. Will have a fire in the fireplace (as soon as I install the new cover) on any chilly evening.

My hunting cabin is solely LP right now but once my toddler daughter gets a little older I will be putting a freestanding unit in there also. Not that propane is that expensive for a small place but it is two-three 100 pounders a fall when it's all done.

It has been a cooler summer here as well.
I dont think we had one day of 100 degrees.
Lots of 90+ with humidity of 70 to 75 percent.
Will not be burning wood any time soon.
The 90 degrees days are supposed to last for another month or so.

In general it's below 60 inside before the Shewolf will want a fire. Here in Delmarva we get some wide temp swings, especially during spring and fall. So we might start a fire one evening and not have another for the rest of the week. Daily burning typically kicks in around October

Around here temps up and down every other week . Getting the last of my 4 cords for this winter next week. Will light woodstove in about 2 weeks.
I wasn't expecting to have to burn this early. I got a cord cut up so far and have another cord from last year. I'm going to buy another 4 cords that I found of oak that was cut two years ago in the next week or so.

38 degrees yesterday morning, cold enough for me to get a morning stove fire going. Winter advisory in the higher elevations tomorrow, so likely another morning fire again. Fall is early and here. Got wood, and I'm happy. :)

We run 9 months of the year, mid September to mid June. No we're not running the stoves hard at either end of that stretch but the stoves are being used.

100% wood heat and plenty of wood so no reason to be cold.

Around here humidity hanging in the 75-90+ range temps swing from 60 night or so to 80+ days last couple weeks. I try to get a 1/3 cord split before work mornings and I am soaking wet in 20 minutes. If it isn't that then its been rain showers just enough to keep that humidity way up. Still I have managed to get 8 cords CSS in the last 4 weeks. Goes into the 3+ year rotation so it is not crunch factor. Weather like this just kinda drains ya real quick, course I got a fair amount of snow on the mountain if ya get the drift.

this last year was my first time using wood. Little nervous at first because I wasn't sure if I'd burn the place down and I got my share of burns on my arms filling her up, but I am sure glad we made the switch to wood when we did. Saved a lot of money so far.

There's some learning and more then some effort in heating with wood, but very gratifying to have control over your energy heat. If the electricity goes down, or oil/gas goes ballistic, wood will be there for you.

There's some learning and more then some effort in heating with wood, but very gratifying to have control over your energy heat. If the electricity goes down, or oil/gas goes ballistic, wood will be there for you.
only problem with my drolet tundra if the electricity goes out my blower doesn't blow and the damper shuts. I'm going to buy a little generator for backup just in case though.

I expect to start burning my shoulder wood sometime in October. Supposed to be close to 90 tomorrow with high humidity. Hard to think about getting a fire going.

I haven't stopped burning this year. We run the Garn year around to heat the domestic water. It was high 80's hear today and the AC condenser just shut off. I still need to get more of my locust logs split up before harvest starts and then they will be no time to split wood.

A little 90$ harbor freight generator is cheap insurance to have around . This year will be bad with heavy snow and you can expect ice storms. Last year there were multiple places I read about in the us that had a week with no power. Don't be caught unprepared

Latest posts

Back