almst died yesterday!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My FIL, wife and myself were in the middle of a hardwood forest getting firewood.

I felled a nice 24" white oak and of course it missed where I wanted it to land (by a ft) and got hung up in a big maple.

So my FIL being the more experienced chainsaw operator than myself began cutting the maple. So he cut 3/4 way threw and backed off. We were standing there just watching it (at the time, I had thought was a safe distance and angle away from where we anitcipated the trees to fall), the whole time you could hear the maple kreeking and cracking from the weight of the oak. We knew it was just a matter of seconds before both the trees fell.

After about a minute of cracking sure enough both trees came crashing down. The catcher is, the weight from the white oak caused the maple to spin coming right towards me!!!!!!!

I took off running and dove to the left as the top of the maple came crashing not 10 ft. away from me. I hit the dirt and covered my head. Thank god I never got hit.

now I wasnt at a safe distance, but I figured it wouldve been impossible for that tree to come at me from the angle I was standing at. boy was I wrong!!!!!!!!

I learned alot from that day!! and Ill probably remember it till im dead. Just when I get thinking Im getting the hang of dropping trees and handling a saw........ Its hard to believe just how dangerous getting firewood can be.

Last edited:
That story was great...you just have to take more precation then you think you need to take...thank God you are ok.

Glad you are alright! And a word to the wise, it is VERY dangerous to cut a tree that another tree is hung up in. It is best to fence post the hung up tree down, by cutting chunks out of the hung tree. You still have to be very careful as sometimes you can cut enough chunks out that the hung tree will stand up straight and fall in any direction. Have multiple escape routes cleared and never turn your back on the tree.

They can be down and still hurt you.
I had a big red oak down in my yard blocking our street.I went to work limbing it...well on one limb I had the tree roll on me..at me with and arm of a limb smashing me to the ground. I had limbs all around my feet and could only get a step away. Had I not moved I'd lost a leg or smashed my innards.
I saw in turning and I was like a deer in the headlights....scarred the crap out of me along with some nice scrapes on my forearms...got lucky!

Fence posting

Glad you are alright! And a word to the wise, it is VERY dangerous to cut a tree that another tree is hung up in. It is best to fence post the hung up tree down, by cutting chunks out of the hung tree. You still have to be very careful as sometimes you can cut enough chunks out that the hung tree will stand up straight and fall in any direction. Have multiple escape routes cleared and never turn your back on the tree.

I like to fence post the hung tree part way down so it is still leaning but just a little on the other tree. Then notch and drop together in a much more predictable fashion. That running from a falling tree is best left for / best not to have to.

cedarman and CrappieKeith,

Thanks for the great reminders about how careful we should be when dealing with trees. We can NEVER be to careful...especially when we cut by ourselves!

Kevin

I'm glad that you're still with us today Cedarman. It's easy to make mistakes and most of the time we get away with it. I was cutting wood with my father-in-law more than 30 years ago and he did the same thing that you did. He cut the tree that was still standing and when they came down I thought they had him.

Everybody be careful out there.

Every now and then we all need a reminder about how fragile we really are .
Glad you're OK and were able to tell us about your reminder .
As Turkeyslayer said , fence post or stair cut would have been a better option , putting a line and come a long would be another option .
Stay safe , think ahead !

:cheers:

Glad you got out of the way in time. I always make sure to keep a good tree's length away or at least behind heavy cover ever since I had a maple land 180 degrees from where I'd planned after it bounced off a small hemlock which I was sure it would just crash through.

My FIL, wife and myself were in the middle of a hardwood forest getting firewood.

I felled a nice 24" white oak and of course it missed where I wanted it to land (by a ft) and got hung up in a big maple.

So my FIL being the more experienced chainsaw operator than myself began cutting the maple. So he cut 3/4 way threw and backed off. We were standing there just watching it (at the time, I had thought was a safe distance and angle away from where we anitcipated the trees to fall), the whole time you could hear the maple kreeking and cracking from the weight of the oak. We knew it was just a matter of seconds before both the trees fell.

After about a minute of cracking sure enough both trees came crashing down. The catcher is, the weight from the white oak caused the maple to spin coming right towards me!!!!!!!

I took off running and dove to the left as the top of the maple came crashing not 10 ft. away from me. I hit the dirt and covered my head. Thank god I never got hit.

now I wasnt at a safe distance, but I figured it wouldve been impossible for that tree to come at me from the angle I was standing at. boy was I wrong!!!!!!!!

I learned alot from that day!! and Ill probably remember it till im dead. Just when I get thinking Im getting the hang of dropping trees and handling a saw........ Its hard to believe just how dangerous getting firewood can be.

Glad to hear you are okay.

Hope your FIL does NOT mention he and I discussing life insurance on you.

Only a rumor.

You have to watch, when you block them out there still are terrific dangers present. That block can fly out with tremendous force, being thrown 10-12+feet. Seen it happen...immeadiately afterward the tree dropped down on the stump, turned just enough to dislodge, and the whole trunk shot back over the stump over 10 feet. Never actually S#it my pants yet, but that was REAL close!

I took down a dead oak last Monday. It was already leaning towards another tree and there were really no other good options to bring it down. Dropped into the other tree and hooked a chain to the butt end and pulled it down with my truck. I was afraid that if I started cutting chunks it would slide into a crotch and I would never get it down. Easy to cut up and load once I got it on the ground.

Glad it turned out okay for you.

I cut one that was busted about 12 feet up and laying across a creek bed, well i was standing on a steep bank and when i got through the stump with the fell cut the stump went where it was supposed to but the other half of the tree tore loose and came down and smacked me in the head. Luckily that steep bank i was on i just slid down the hill. i think if i would have been on steady ground i would have broke my neck. My brother stood there laughin at me all in a daze. The cooler full of beer helped with the headache.:msp_blink:

Glad to see your okay, I know i didnt cut down another tree for at least a year

Back