Almstead Tree Care

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Almstead Tree and Shrub Care? In particular, are they a good employer; i.e. What is their business philosophy, how do they treat employees, what kind of equipment, etc? I've seen their website, I just wanted the 411 from someone who's been there. Thanks.

I really like their page on Preventing Storm Damage.

Who would want to move from FL to NY?

Originally posted by xander9727
Someone who is sick of mosquitos, hurricanes and senior citizens.:D
oh yeah, I forgot. I'd need a gun to my head before moving back to tampa full time. then again in NY I'd get cabin fever by january.

It's easy to get spoiled when you live in the lovely latitudes of NC; the perfect compromise.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur

It's easy to get spoiled when you live in the lovely latitudes of NC; the perfect compromise.

Except for the chiggers, sandflys and mosquitoes. Well, maybe you don't have the sandflies in The Triangle area.:D

They seem very well educated and interested in others who share threir perspective.

Didn't see any mention of climbers only stuff used was bucket truck and crane. Hmmm?

Jack

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Are you thinking selling your company or moving up north Brett?

Back on topic, I can't give info on the Almstead but I did live in NYC for 30 years. High cost of living, insurance rates will make you cry, and the traffic will make you the poster child for Prozac pretty quickly. If tired of the Fla heat but still like the east coast, think about coming Mid - Atlantic, seens to be plenty of work around this area and I personally know a really good sub for stump work. :)

Matt? Where are you? You always have an opinion on every tree care company in the Northeast, especially that one owned by that one Lovell guy.

Why Nick, I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about ;) I know a little bit about the company. They are located somewhere down county, and I see them up here once in a while. I've talked with a recruiter, and he was big on that no compete thing for I believe 2 years? They have some nice equipment, and work at some nice places. Personally, I wouldn't work for them... I fear big companies to a certain extent. There is a company down in their general area which from everybody I talk with is THE company to work for as far as just being an overall good company. Serpe Tree Service which is owned by Carmine Serpe or his son is a small company, about 10 people I think. Carmine is probably in his mid - late 70's by now, and still climbs once in a while. I believe that he and 1 other guy are the only registered ASCA people in the area. The other guy I think I remember hearing about an accident with that company a couple years ago, so I don't know anything about them since. However everybody I talk with who knows of Serpe says good things about them.

I hope you don't fear companies of CTL's size. Thirty five is our glass ceiling at the moment, and maximizing the sales with that many people is the real challenge. Er, the bottom line I should say.

At about 3am, I had this conversation with my dad, actually. We both share the view that there's an intrinsic value in employing people. It's not just about the bottom line, or net income, or the size of your business's checking account. If increasing shareholder value is the goal of your business, my, you have an unfulfilling career ahead of you. But if you see a value in making a living that sustains you and your family and affords opportunities for others to succeed, I believe that half the battle is won right there. Other factors like customer satisfaction, making a difference in our world (especially for trees), and the like fall in line with those.

Nickrosis said:
...if you see a value in making a living that sustains you and your family and affords opportunities for others to succeed, I believe that half the battle is won right there...

You're a lucky guy to have a dad that can instill values such as those in you. It took me a long time to figure out that most of my satisfaction comes not from making a lot of money, but from knowing that my success in turn supports my employees and their families. I feel a deep obligation to provide for my employees the best work environment, the best wages and benefits, and all the rest so that they themselves can be successful. "Orr, something like that."

Treeman14 said:
You're a lucky guy to have a dad that can instill values such as those in you.
I am lucky. :angel: Lots of pluses and minuses with family businesses, but I'm happy.

Treeman14 said:
I feel a deep obligation to provide for my employees the best work environment, the best wages and benefits, and all the rest so that they themselves can be successful.
I know exactly what you mean. It gets hard at times, to be sure. Last night, I was frustrated since I spent the whole day at the shop, cleaning, mopping, scrubbing, filing, organizing, etc. for Monday morning. Glens stopped by, we went to lunch, came back, worked some more, went home.

My brother swung by a little after midnight and an employee had opened up the gates and left them wide open? :rolleyes: What's up, guys? Don't you see that looking out for the business's best interest is looking out for your best interest? We're all in this together....

Almstead

The company is located in New Rochelle New York, westchester county. They work in some of the same areas as my company and they could be viewed as my compitition. About 2 months ago I had a job across the street from one of their job sights. We both eyeballed each other as we worked.
I would say that there safety program is not what it should be. No hardhats and 2 guys riding in the bucket (1was a climber being placed in the tree). One of my co workers told me that Almstaed had a major accident a while back, I will try to get the details.

As far as working in the Northeast my company is reopening an office in ridgewood new jersey (about 15 minutes from the George Washington Bridge. They want to hire skilled, reliable people. Call me at 914-403-6178 corey :)

Back