Aloe Vera Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxx

Reaction score
I'm new to this board. I hope someone can give me some advice. I have a HUGE Aloe Vera Tree in my back yard. Its leaves (spikes?) are turning yellow. I am wondering why. Too much water? Not enough water? I have a cactus garden planted underneath its canopy and that is dry. BUT ... there is a vine on a back fence that gets water, so I am wondering if that water is getting to the trees roots.

Does anyone know anything about Aloe Vera Trees or where I can get information. I tried a few nurseries and the Arboretum here (L.A.), but no one is familiar with my tree. I appreciate any and/or all advice.

I wasn't aware that Aloe Vera grew into trees. I have a few aloe plants around my house, and my mom always had them when I was a kid. Never saw one over 18" high.
Perhaps the tree you have is something else? Or a different variety? I'd take a leaf with me on my next trip to the plant nursury.

Hey, thanks for the response. I have been told by several gardeners at 2 nurseries that the tree is in the aloe vera family, but none of them claim to know much more than that. There are apparently only 5 of them in the greater L.A. area and one is mine. I keep hoping that someone will know about these trees. It is truly amazing.

You might be right though. It is possible that these people are guessing.

The leaves on my tree are sharp/spikey and fan out. Once a year, it has a bloom -- reddish in color. It did not bloom this year, so it is obviously in stress.

I will keep searching ...

Sounds like Tree Aloe-native to South Africa. They do not bloom every year. Unfotunately I don't know about the color change you are experiencing. Did you have an unusual frost?

Hi, Stumper,

You pinpointed the tree! I actually found a picture of it. It is definitely one of the Aloe trees from South Africa.

There was some frost this year ... surprising for Southern California. I did lose some smaller plants in other parts of my garden due to it. It never occurred to me that it might affect the tree.

As I now have the type of tree it is, I am going to contact some tree arborists today. Hopefully there is someone who is familiar with this type of tree.

Thanks for figuring it out ...

Back