Alpine Magnum Teeth Problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scouse

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
HI,

I've just bought an Alpine Magnum, the machine itself is great but the teeth dont seem to last very long at all.

Ground out a few stumps the other day,less than an hours worth of grinding, the soil was clean (no noticeable rocks,stones etc) but the teeth are now destroyed :/ there not even just blunt there chipped and cracked to death, there would be no chance/point of sharpening them.
Is this they way it is with the grinders or do you think it could be a bad batch of teeth or something?

If they only last that long then i can see it being a VERY costly machine to run, the teeth are about £6+vat+shipping so its about £50 a set :(

So then, to all owners of the Alpine how to you rate the teeth,machine etc? And do you buy new teeth or get them retipped? (I havent found anywhere that retipps them yet,so info on this would also be appreciated)

Thanks

Teeth

Alpine Machine recently dumped there tooth supplier due to lack of quality control and now make there own. The new teeth are great but there is no batch# to know what you have. If the carbide has come of clean it is likely to be a soldering? fault contact your supplier.

I use my machines alot and replace teeth several times a day (with sharp ones) although I just bought there diamond sharpening wheel and fitted it to a 18v dewalt angle grinder and this seems to work great In the field.

I tend to break more left teeth than right ones I have found out you can order left teeth only so have done. Before this I have averaged a set a month over the past year but this will decrease about 1/3 by replacing the left teeth.

Cheers Sbusta for the info;)

Changing the teeth several times a day dont sound to good to me :(. How much was the diamond grinding wheel? I cant get a price from there web site.

Hopefully i got a set of the old bad batch, tbh i also got a free set with the machine that look like the Tungsten carbide is slightly thicker than the ones supplied with the grinder?Ive took a few photos of the new and old battered teeth but cant get them on the site yet :(

To any other owners of the Magnum tell us how your getting on aswell please :D
Thanks.

scouse said:
Cheers Sbusta for the info;)

Changing the teeth several times a day dont sound to good to me :(. How much was the diamond grinding wheel? I cant get a price from there web site.

Hopefully i got a set of the old bad batch, tbh i also got a free set with the machine that look like the Tungsten carbide is slightly thicker than the ones supplied with the grinder?Ive took a few photos of the new and old battered teeth but cant get them on the site yet :(

To any other owners of the Magnum tell us how your getting on aswell please :D
Thanks.

Scouse we can sell you a diamond disc for an angle grinder. £49.95 + vat and about £2.50 p&p. Ring me at Prochip 01449 770044. Have sold loads so far with only one complaint. We gave him another and told him how to use it properly. Complaint withdrawn. Regards Mike.

I bought an Alpine in Nov. 2004 along with 4 sets of teeth. I still have one unused set left, but I don't grind a whole lot of stumps. I agree the teeth don't last very long, but mine have held up a lot better than what yours apparently has. I will need to order teeth soon. I charge a premium price to use the Alpine, because usually no other grinder can get to that stump. That easily pays for new teeth.

Scouse we can sell you a diamond disc for an angle grinder. £49.95 + vat and about £2.50 p&p. Ring me at Prochip 01449 770044
I will do when i end up with some teeth that are worth sharpening :D

I charge a premium price to use the Alpine, because usually no other grinder can get to that stump

Yup think ill have to start doing the same thing.
I spoke to the guys who sell the Alpine in the UK (Arborplant)they also reckoned it could have been a dodgy set of teeth so there sorting me out with some new ones at a decent price :D
Ive also been havin a think and i reckon i can retip the Alpine teeth with the tungsten from my old Vermeer teeth,looks simple enough so gotta be worth a try :p

Cheers for the info felllas.

Back