alright..a litte disturbed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KodiakKen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
cleaning out the garage last weekend taking summer stuff out to the barn..noticed the log splitter return line condensating hydro fluid...please tell me this is normal. none of the high pressure lines are doing it..just the return line. I checked everything over even started it up to make sure nothing is leaking..all good. do they make a high pressure line that I can use for the return..darn them speeco splitters..lol..although I made almost enough to pay for it in a month..I suppose a little lost fluid isn't that big of deal. Thanks for the replies in advance

no dry rot

just bought unit a year or so ago. it isn't like a leak..it is like dew on the truck in the morning but slippery. didn't look at it too much didn't see a big puddle on the plywood floor so will keep an eye on it and see what is going on..just didn't know if a not high pressure line would leak hydro fluid..

I hate to admit this

But my speeco return line does this too.. just like above poster said it looks like dew.. Only it is little tiny bumps of oil.. The saddest part about this situation.. The splitter is made overseas.. yet the darn hose that is leaking CLEARLY states right on it.. MADE IN THE USA. I am going to pick up a few feet of imported hose and see if I can fix it. LOL

return side is low pressure...less than 10 psi(?)

just about any hydraulic hose will work.....or even hard pipe it.

I busted my return line some time ago by dropping a piece of wood on it, and replaced it with a handy piece of radiator hose I had in the shop.Havent had a leak from it for three years now, and a whole lot cheaper than a hose from a hydralic shop.

I am a little embarassed to admit it, but I used the clear washing machine tubing from Home Depot, the one with the string in it. It worked well for about five years until I upgraded the pump and needed a larger hose.

It is not right. Go to the auto parts store and buy a new piece of hose, its not rocket science.

Don't know much about speedco, but I run several machines that have hydraulics, including firewood equipment. Hoses, cylinders, and fittings wear out, break and leak all the time. I am lucky to have a shop close by that can replace or fix just about what ever breaks for less than 20 bucks in 5 minutes or less.

Don't know much about speedco, but I run several machines that have hydraulics, including firewood equipment. Hoses, cylinders, and fittings wear out, break and leak all the time. I am lucky to have a shop close by that can replace or fix just about what ever breaks for less than 20 bucks in 5 minutes or less.

We are not speaking about old hoses.. We are talking about hoses on 1 year old machines.. These hoses are not leaking on a fitting they are basically leaking through the pores in the rubber.. Looks like sweat, only it is oil.

But my speeco return line does this too.. just like above poster said it looks like dew.. Only it is little tiny bumps of oil.. The saddest part about this situation.. The splitter is made overseas.. yet the darn hose that is leaking CLEARLY states right on it.. MADE IN THE USA. I am going to pick up a few feet of imported hose and see if I can fix it. LOL

made in america does not mean quality any more.

We are not speaking about old hoses.. We are talking about hoses on 1 year old machines.. These hoses are not leaking on a fitting they are basically leaking through the pores in the rubber.. Looks like sweat, only it is oil.

Regardless of the age of the hose if it is weeping oil it is dangerous and should be replaced. Probably a bad hose to start with or could have been damaged by accident while using splitter.

Its incapadability between the oil and the rubber. I see it alot in Phosfate ester hyd oil. Unlucky combination. Most likely any hose you get to replace it will be a little different compound and won't leak. I too just use heater hose on most applications but my 3pt splitter return hose I bought from a hyd supply.

Some people think that it's overkill but on my stuff, everything downstream of the pump gets high pressure hose put on it, just in case something gets stopped up in a line somewhere for whatever reason, nothing is going to blow apart as long as the reliefs are working.

Latest posts

Back