Alright.. Fess up.. Who's NOT ready?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have some room in my woodshed for this winter. I'm not too worried about it as I also have about 4 different trees at work that I know I can go cut up this fall still that will easily get me what I need. I also have wood ready for next year if need be, I don't really want to break into those stacks though.

I'm a little different 6 cords cut and stacked sitting pretty new wood doctor that I ordered in may not here???
They keep telling me they don't have a full truck load going east yet to send it. I'm not happy!

still waitiing!! ABF fright picked it up fri in south dakota

Hello,
I'll confess.....I'm not ready yet !!!!!!! It's been raining so much here that it's hard to get any outside work done !!!!!! However, the weather report says that it should be a nice week coming up, so I'm hoping to get more dead standing stuff dropped and bucked. Also, Wanda is ready to help me run the splitter and get it stacked. I hope it will be a productive week !!!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

wood

that was when i started my first year burning all i did was burn green after that year i was 2 years ahead some years you get lots of wood some years less just get more then you use no problem after that not to be smart just my 2 cents

Holy hell! How big is your house?
Mine is 4000+ with 2 blowers. I go through 12+ cords a year in NW Minnesota. My son & I cut & stacked over 5 cord this weekend and there's at least 3 cord cut in a pile, plus at least 3 cord in log length still. It was over 80 degrees here today (Oct. 2 - WOW!!!) so not a fun day to be dressed in full cutting gear and tossing big hunks of wood around.

BUT - it could be worse. It was a really nice weekend and I got to spend it outside with the dogs.

I'm fortunate because I've never been this fat with wood. Got 3+ years here, and I can get as much more as I want. Logger/buddy doing a woodlot 5 miles from the house. Doesn't get any better than that.

ready ? hmmm short answer , No.

Long answer is 'sort of'.

Mine's been cut to stove length and stacked since last fall, 5+ cords. I couldn't get in to haul it out for one reason or another. Wet last Fall so I walked in to cut, Never froze good in the bottom land without snow so there it set all winter. Spring was wet when I had free time. Summer I couldn't cross cropland to get there and wasn't fighting the blazing heat after harvest. Fall well, here we are and I'm looking at the 1/4 cord left from last year. Barring bad luck and wood thieves finding my stash I'm 2 years ahead. I have some of a 2 1/2 cord takedown from a dead Elm on the trailer for next year. The rest is waiting for me to make time to go after it. I'll feel a lot better once it is all safe and secure at home.

Who's up for splitting some nice Elm , by hand ? :cheers:

READY "ok"

well just to add to the mix, I'm ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cut 20 cords last year, I burn 7-8 a year.

Problem alot is rotting as most is stacked outside, woodshed (s) only hold 11 cords. And a horrible rainy snowy last winter.summer!!!!

Guess I'll cut another two years worth!!!!!!!

I am not even close to being ready. This was going to be our first year cutting all our own wood. In years past I would buy a couple cords and cut a few. Usually around 6 cord for a winter. Well I bought my own place and decided I was going to cut all the dead stuff from the property. Well it hasnt added up to near as much as I thought it would. A quantity of it is in our bottoms and i havent got the road cut that far into the property yet. I am going to spend some time on the loader this weekend and see if I can get cut on back to at least the second ridge top, but that is 3 times the road I have gotten cut all summer.

I may buy 3 or 4 cords to get us going. then try and be ready for next year.

Whew... I measured three times... I'm pretty almost definite that I have enough, but in a week or so I'll probably be sure that I don't then go out and get more.

ready ? hmmm short answer , No.

Long answer is 'sort of'.

Mine's been cut to stove length and stacked since last fall, 5+ cords. I couldn't get in to haul it out for one reason or another. Wet last Fall so I walked in to cut, Never froze good in the bottom land without snow so there it set all winter. Spring was wet when I had free time. Summer I couldn't cross cropland to get there and wasn't fighting the blazing heat after harvest. Fall well, here we are and I'm looking at the 1/4 cord left from last year. Barring bad luck and wood thieves finding my stash I'm 2 years ahead. I have some of a 2 1/2 cord takedown from a dead Elm on the trailer for next year. The rest is waiting for me to make time to go after it. I'll feel a lot better once it is all safe and secure at home.

Who's up for splitting some nice Elm , by hand ? :cheers:

Piss Elm or Red?

Got back to the woods after work yesterday. Concentrated on blocking up big stuff for the splitter. Looks like I have about a truckload of small stuff left till it's time for the splitter. Then I would guess about 4 truckloads ready to split. 6-7 if I go after this big sycamore that is down.
(to explain a bit) The way I typically cut is to drop the trees and load the stuff that is to small to split. After I have a bunch of big stuff lying around the woods The wife and I take the splitter back and clean up all the trees. The I'll start all over dropping trees and loading the tops. I don't know if this is the most efficient method but it seems to work out for me.
About that sycamore. It fell last fall from a wind storm. Bil and I cleaned up the top and the BIG base is still laying there. I'll bet 2-3 truckloads maybe more. The dilemma is all the ash that is there. Don't know if I wanna spend the time with the sycamore or just let her lie there and rot and get the ash.

Piss Elm or Red?

Oh I wish it was Red Elm ! I think it was a Siberian Elm to be honest. The bark was darker than what I call American Elm. Structure was similar to Red Elm, straight with few forks, and didn't have a dark heartwood or that cinnamon smell when cutting rounds.

It's dry enough it doesn't tear apart. Between a couple different axes I have and the maul it won't stand a chance, when I make time for it. The first couple'o whacks bounce off then you hear the tell tell 'POP' and I know it's owned.

We are a long ways from me worrying about going cold this winter

Better late then never. I just started splitting last week. Luckily for me most of my wood is from dead oak and locust that's been cut for a while. Still needs to be split to dry the rest of the way. Only about 7 or 8 more cords to go!

Latest posts

Back