Alright guys, let me have it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
http://choicetreecare.com/pictures.htm#

I'm here to learn ( as well as have some fun ) so I may as well put it out there. I know our website needs some wok but it's a process that we're trying to handle ourselves and not have to pay anyone to do. What I want is your harshest critiques of my work. The oak was just a little deadwooding and getting the large branch leaning towards the house off but the comments I really want are on the silver maple. The customer did not want it taken down even though it was in bad shape. She wanted the danger factor lessoned so she didn't need to worry that it would fail and hit her house. We took close to half of it's height in order to accomplish this. Well, do some clicking and let me know what you think.

TimberMcPherson

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That was a pretty savage cut of the maple, just remember that often the customer isnt right. You should have the expertise and judgement in whats right to do with regards to the work on that tree. Think of yourself as a vet, your trying to do whats best for the tree while taking into account what the customer is after.
I often quote jobs where the customer wants something overly severe done, I give other options and if they really want it done, I let the hacks have the job.

A job might be worth some money, but that tree and everyone who sees that tree in the years it stands (less years with a cutting like that) will remember your work.

Its a tough call to turn down money to do the right thing, but thats the difference between an arborist and a hired cutter/hack.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
That was a pretty savage cut of the maple, just remember that often the customer isnt right. You should have the expertise and judgement in whats right to do with regards to the work on that tree. Think of yourself as a vet, your trying to do whats best for the tree while taking into account what the customer is after.
I often quote jobs where the customer wants something overly severe done, I give other options and if they really want it done, I let the hacks have the job.

A job might be worth some money, but that tree and everyone who sees that tree in the years it stands (less years with a cutting like that) will remember your work.

Its a tough call to turn down money to do the right thing, but thats the difference between an arborist and a hired cutter/hack.

I get that. I know 1/3 is usually the maximum that we should remove in a crown reduction and we went to half in this one because of the proximity of the house and neighbors garage. I guess the pictures don't really do justice of just how bad off this tree was. One lead in the back was completely busted off and rotten, I chunked it all the way down to the trunk and it was about 25 inch diameter where it joined in. You can see in some of the pics just how decayed a lot of the wood was that we were removing. We tried to shape it at a higher point but could not for the life of us find any worthwhile branches to save. The only healthy ones were down low so we took it back to them.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
On that maple you need to give your customer their money back and pray they forget your name.

And I should get a clue. A guy like you would know better. Lady wants it done? Its done.
Poor Blakey baby? No, he's a learning. Great job on the climb and getting it done. Now its done, let it stay done. The Dan abides.
Anyman who goe up against a homeowner who want a tree at some given height like that and comes out with all ten fingers intact gets a PBR (@ about 28 degrees) from the cooler strapped to the pick- up. The Dan knows.
I do abide and I do bide. I am bide-ing time right now to see when the silver maple over my one neighbors house crushes it cause ain't nobody took a saw to it yet. Actually, they are in denial.
Let me ask you this: do you want to sleep or do you want to call 911? If they can't afford to cut it down at least... for now... one hopes.

Last edited:
epicklein22
I agree with Timber here. Don't do those hack jobs. That is your reputation on the line. I imagine that tree will go into shock soon, look at the first picture, then the last, just too much. I would suggest you do a crown clean and deadwood on these types of jobs. Opening it up too much will result in the trunk and crotches getting too much light. That will cause sucker growth and will also weaken the limbs.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO CARVE UP A HUNK OF SILVER!
Shut up and start listing the logistic options... right NOW!
Loud enough for ya NAilS? Come closer, my friend ( no joke), let's see how loud it gets.
I got some great pictures of some great maples.

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK Blakes, here we go, I'm going to be pretty critical but keep in mind I don't actually give a sh1t how you roll. This is only because you specifically asked for it.

The whole spikes are for sissies moto is tired. Good shots of Sean with no eye protection, one handing, running a saw that is not tied off, and sporting a large ear ring. Also, you state that topping is a bad practice yet you caption one of your pictures stating the tree is to be topped.

If I am seing something wrong, please disregard.

I like that you put it all out there Blakes, good luck with your gig.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
I agree with Timber here. Don't do those hack jobs. That is your reputation on the line. I imagine that tree will go into shock soon, look at the first picture, then the last, just too much. I would suggest you do a crown clean and deadwood on these types of jobs. Opening it up too much will result in the trunk and crotches getting too much light. That will cause sucker growth and will also weaken the limbs.

Alright. Now, I know the guy that I learned pruning from ain't all he thinks he is but I have gleaned some things from him as well as a lot from this site. I understand that suckers will come out at that these re-sprouts are not strong wood. But won't continued maintenance of topping the sucker growth and shaping the tree prevent it from getting to tall on this unstable wood thereby keeping it safe? I've walked away from jobs and customers that wanted me to do this type of stuff to an oak or hickory or a hemlock but in my experience trees like silver maples and willows will come back from this type of cutting. Granted I've only been in the biz 6 years so I can't see the long term effects yet I can only go on what I have learned from others. Does anyone know of a silver maple that died from a trim job?

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Abiding Dan, give a guy some warning so I can get my ear plugs in before you start barking again. I want to keep my hearing right where it's at, and throw me a PBR while your at it. Signed, Labowski.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK Blakes, here we go, I'm going to be pretty critical but keep in mind I don't actually give a sh1t how you roll. This is only because you specifically asked for it.

The whole spikes are for sissies moto is tired. Good shots of Sean with no eye protection, one handing, running a saw that is not tied off, and sporting a large ear ring. Also, you state that topping is a bad practice yet you caption one of your pictures stating the tree is to be topped.

If I am seing something wrong, please disregard.

I like that you put it all out there Blakes, good luck with your gig.

I know you don't like the motto, Nails, we kinda do though. I'll try to talk the boys into something more professional before too long, I'm sure. Yep, no eye pro, yet. Not many services in our area do and I'm still undecided as to whether or not to force the guys to wear it all the time. And yeah, I didn't word the captions ( topping ) and that will be remedied shortly as well. In my experience, everyone one hands from time to time and yeah, my bro likes his ear ring. I didn't notice his saw wasn't tied off though. I'll need to recheck.

Sunrise Guy

Sunrise Guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
The Silver Maple is truly a travesty. What the :censored: were you thinking? You are a senior member here, right? I sincerely hope that you are not giving any arboricultural advice to others.

You should have walked away from that gig instead of butchering the tree.