Alright guys, meet the new love of my life!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure that one is a Magnum model? All of the original Magnums and Mag II i have seen have a different nameplate. The "Magnum" sticker found on top was never used on 038's to my knowledge. I have one on my MS440 which is much newer. Or did the previous owner put the 52mm topend on it? Just bringing this up because I have seen a lot of people put the new style "Magnum" sticker on a regular 038 and try to get more for it....

Regardless, this is a beautiful saw!

Yea, she's the real deal. I've seen a few others like this one. Brad Snelling's Mag looks like this one. It was the newer models that got the plain 038 tag with the sticker I believe. All the Stihls changed over from the AV, Electronic, MagnumII, etc, maneplates to just the Plain "Stihl XXX" after a certain time. Thats when the "Magnum" stickers came along.

Last edited:
Good deal! I learned something new today :) I really have only seen a handful of 038's in person, so I don't know all that much about them.... But I did know a guy who put a sticker on his and tried to sell it on fleabay....

Are you sure that one is a Magnum model? All of the original Magnums and Mag II i have seen have a different nameplate. The "Magnum" sticker found on top was never used on 038's to my knowledge. I have one on my MS440 which is much newer. Or did the previous owner put the 52mm topend on it? Just bringing this up because I have seen a lot of people put the new style "Magnum" sticker on a regular 038 and try to get more for it....

Regardless, this is a beautiful saw!

Yea, she's the real deal. I've seen a few others like this one. Brad Snelling's Mag looks like this one. It was the newer models that got the plain 038 tag with the sticker I believe. All the Stihls changed over from the AV, Electronic, MagnumII, etc, maneplates to just the Plain "Stihl XXX" after a certain time. Thats when the "Magnum" stickers came along.

That's right. Mine is exactly the same.

I guess I was thinking of the older ones from the 80's.... My buddy has an old 038 Mag, not sure what year but the plate on the starter housing says "made in west germany" so I know its pretty old. Just curious, what year did they stop making 038s?

very nice. but are you sure it isn't a knock-off? it looks too nice to be that old and THAT clean. nice pics also.

Yep, shes O-riginale. :rock:

Mahle cylinder. I've been through it and stripped it down. All Stihl factory parts throughout. it came from a member here and it's a one owner saw. Well, two owner now. :)

It's just done alot more setting than it has cutting I reckon. :)

Last edited:
Congrats on a very fine saw. One of my buds has one just like it(only not near that purrdy) he swears by it.
:cheers:

I'm kinda on the ropes about a muffler mod. I'm thinking maybe just get rid of the baffle and be done with it. It's opened up pretty good.
Anyone else getting gains from muff modding their 038?

Congrat's on a great saw. Wish mine looked that good. It has to go down as one of the best saws made regardless of brand.

Very nice saw Anthony. Finding one in that good condition anymore is extremely rare. It's one of my all time favorite models also.

My son and I built an 038 mag from about 95% NOS parts about 5 years ago. I ended up selling it and wished I hadn't. The ironic part is I sold it to a guy somewhere in Arkansas I believe and a tornado hit his property and broke the gas tank on this saw about 6 months after he bought it.

I felt guilty selling the saw so I bought this one for my son and have it stowed away. Its never been started or gassed.
177857d1301370761-p1110116-jpg

177860d1301370769-p1110118-jpg

177859d1301370766-p1110117-jpg

177858d1301370764-p1110119-jpg

Last edited:
Very nice saw Anthony. Finding one in that good condition anymore is extremely rare. It's one of my all time favorite models also.

My son and I built an 038 mag from about 95% NOS parts about 5 years ago. I ended up selling it and wished I hadn't. The ironic part is I sold it to a guy somewhere in Arkansas I believe and a tornado hit his property and broke the gas tank on this saw about 6 months after he bought it.

I felt guilty selling the saw so I bought this one for my son and have it stowed away. Its never been started or gassed.

Did you buy that 380 in the US? I was wondering if they changed them to 380 before they quit selling them here.

I'd love to have a 381, just for the heck of it. Be like an 038 Mag with spring AV. I'd think the 381 would be a killer saw.

Did you buy that 380 in the US? I was wondering if they changed them to 380 before they quit selling them here.

I'd love to have a 381, just for the heck of it. Be like an 038 Mag with spring AV. I'd think the 381 would be a killer saw.

Yes I did end up buying it here in the US, but from a buddy of mine. He ended up purchasing a few from some guy that must have imported them. It is a Brazilian made saw. To be honest with you, there are just a few small features the MS380 has than your 038 Mag II, and those are negligible. I know the MS381 has these extra small features along with a decomp, but it doesn't have spring AV mounts either. All 3 (yours, MS380, and the MS381) have the rubber mounts.

As you can tell my MS380 doesn't have any warning stickers on the chainbrake or the step flange. Every country that sells stihl OPE has their own warning/safety stickers designated for that country. I know even between the US and canada they look different, but I honestly haven't read them to check to see if the verbage was the same, but it probably varies slightly.

Latest posts

Back