Alternative Methods for Throw Lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treefeller,

I'm north of you here in CO, cutting mostly Pondos, with some Doug Fir, etc. I suppose with practice--a lot of practice--I could improve my throw, but the Big Shot is what I use. I free-throw only occasionally at a low, nearby limb. (I also welded a 2" trailer hitch ball to an eye bolt that I attach directly to my rope when I need to hit a very nearby target--we call it "the mankiller" and there's only limited situations where it comes into play.)

With the tight holes you typically need to aim for in Pondos, I can't imagine not using the big shot. Quite often I hit my target on the first try. When you fall short of target, aim higher on the next shot, etc. Usually several shots get me where I need to be.

I use 10-oz. throw bags w/ the big shot (lighter bags seem to get more distance), though I carry 14 & 16 oz bags and occasionally use them when the friction of bark won't allow the 10 oz to fall well. Ran into that recently w/ some willow.

Also, since the conifers we have here are crazy full of limbs, I attach a 10 oz bag on both ends of my throwline (which lives in a plastic kitty litter bucket). Once I get the throwline over my target limb, as it comes down it's likely to trap other limbs inside the loop--I climb DDRT exclusively--so I pull up the other end of the line and then swing/work the bag as it comes down trying to get a clean loop with no other limbs inside. (Although I'm sure it's great for others and other situations, SRT means extra gear and I'm already gear-heavy and equipment-heavy.)

I remember when I thought $120 for a big shot seemed like big $. But that thing pays its way every day at work, can't imagine going without it. I'm impressed by the guys who can throw accurately, but I'm not one. I have the two piece pole, and it lives behind my pickup seat.

My boss is one of those guys who can throw VERY accurately and work the throw bag to where it needs to go, super impressive but I am not one of those guys. I know it comes with time and practice, but sometimes I dont have time. I will likely be buying a big shot after hearing how many people swear by it.

I find that I can more accurately throw the bag in underhand than I can with a big shot. As others have already stated, it takes time and practice to get it right, but once you do, it's faster and easier than dealing with another piece of kit, especially when lugging as much stuff into a yard as I do. There will eventually come a time where you find yourself without the big shot for whatever reason, and you'll need to throw in manually. If you're going to go the route of the big shot, try two or three manual throws at your target before go over to the slingshot. You'll eventually get better at throwing, without feeling like you're losing too much time to trying to learn the manual route.

Just my two cents.

Shaun

Nice vid - had to mute it for the crappy music, and skip from the motion sickness, but I see now why I stink at freehand throwing. I'll have to try that technique next time - I don't give near enough length from where I hold it.

I use a compound bow with heavy aluminum arrow with a blunt heavy brass tip. Very accurate.
First shoot a piece of monofilament over where you want it, then pull over a nylon cord, and use the cord to pull the rope.

Have gotten a 5/8" wire rope 100 ft high this way using the cord on a 3/8" nylon rope and then pulling the wire rope.

BTW, the brass head on the arrow is about 8 oz. Using too heavy a draw pull REGULAR (non compound) bow will bend even a good aluminum arrow. - (the 'too heavy' bow when I bent an arrow was an 80# fg Bear bow). Have not tried a crossbow with solid arrow.

The climbers companion says to visualise the bag going where you want it to go. I think that's good advice. Also remember that it's coming from 5 feet in front of you. Not from your eyes. I make myself wear gloves if I'm throwing hard at all so I don't burn the crap out of my fingers. I also make sure my stupid dog doesn't run behind me when I swing it back.

Back before the throwing bag we had the hard rubber Johnny Balls, and before that, I put a one ounce weight on 60 pound test mono and cast with a light spinning rod, reel combo. Got good enough I could hit a bass in the head with the sinker and knock him out. But, there is a reason that dinosaurs are dead, and reasons that I'm retired. Couldn't adapt to throwing that little bag, Joe.

We set up to 20 lines a day in 120+ft pines. We might have 3 guys using big shots placing tipping lines and srt lines in trees in an giving area. Some times the trees are really crowded and you only have a small target way up there. Big shot does it no problem. It a short learning curve. Its hard to toss a throw line in a tight space or crowded forest floor.

Air/potato cannon made from PVC/ABS and a M203 grenade sight if you are daring. Don't forget a pressure release valve for the 'tank' side.

Or go with a 12oz and learn to baseball - may be better to buy the throwbag and throwline separate. I bought the Weaver 12oz 150' package, and this throwline likes to knot up and tangle if you even look at it wrong - about to say F it and tie 250' of paracord to it.

Hey guys,
I am relatively new to rope work/climbing and have been having a tough time hitting my targets when using a throw bag. I know it is a skill I need to develop and I will continue working on it. However, I was wondering what type of alternatives there are to hand-throwing a bag? I have seen the APTA and the Big Shot but they seem a little over-kill for my needs. I mostly climb ponderosa pine using SRT and my target limbs are usually between 30'-60'. I want a system that is compact, quick and easy to reload, and will allow me to accurately hit certain branches. Considering some sort of sling shot with a small weight attached to the line... Wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks!
Hey guys,
I am relatively new to rope work/climbing and have been having a tough time hitting my targets when using a throw bag. I know it is a skill I need to develop and I will continue working on it. However, I was wondering what type of alternatives there are to hand-throwing a bag? I have seen the APTA and the Big Shot but they seem a little over-kill for my needs. I mostly climb ponderosa pine using SRT and my target limbs are usually between 30'-60'. I want a system that is compact, quick and easy to reload, and will allow me to accurately hit certain branches. Considering some sort of sling shot with a small weight attached to the line... Wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks!
A method i use a soft ball or base ball drill a hole in it about the size of your thumb. Put a dowell in that hole. Use glue. And tie your line. Practice a few ways to throw it. Grab the stick throw over hand lob it. Or my favorite throw it up over opisite shoulder

A method i use a soft ball or base ball drill a hole in it about the size of your thumb. Put a dowell in that hole. Use glue. And tie your line. Practice a few ways to throw it. Grab the stick throw over hand lob it. Or my favorite throw it up over opisite shoulder
How do you keep it from getting caught in tight crotches? Even throwbags get caught.

Back