Altitude question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m giving a saw to a friend who won’t be able to do any tuning. I’m at 1400 feet and they are slightly above sea level. Is there much of a difference in say 1200 feet of drop? Maybe I’ll just tune it blubbery rich and send it off? Just a homeowner Poulan so not super important if the saw eventually burned up.

I’m giving a saw to a friend who won’t be able to do any tuning. I’m at 1400 feet and they are slightly above sea level. Is there much of a difference in say 1200 feet of drop? Maybe I’ll just tune it blubbery rich and send it off? Just a homeowner Poulan so not super important if the saw eventually burned up.
I'd like to hear the opinions from pros as well
Im starting to believe porting recipe at given altitude has to be different as well

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

I took a few of my chainsaws camping with me last month. I live at about 5000 ft, and our campsite was at about 7500 ft. Both saws were as you say "blubbery rich". I didn't tune them up there, brought them back to work, and they were right on again. It definitely makes a difference.

I took a few of my chainsaws camping with me last month. I live at about 5000 ft, and our campsite was at about 7500 ft. Both saws were as you say "blubbery rich". I didn't tune them up there, brought them back to work, and they were right on again. It definitely makes a difference.
Precisely how altitude increase will change the tune
Which makes sense why porters approach on high altitude saws differ, they give more time/area on the intake and transfers.

Could be due to lack of air up there, that recipe might not work down below. Even if they did, it probably will have lower throttle response and torque to some point. Interesting

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

I went from 230 ASL to 2300ASL and couldn’t lean a ported saw out enough. It was a 440/460 hybrid than was so lean at 230’ that I needed to drill the jet out to keep the H needle in the 3/4 turns out range. I had to purchase a new carburetor at the GTG just to compete.

A stock saw will be more forgiving in tune than a ported one. Agree, fatten it up a bit and maybe ask the guy to make a short video/audio of him running it.

I’m giving a saw to a friend that won't be able to do any tuning. I’m at 1400 feet and they are slightly above sea level. Is there much of a difference in say 1200 feet of drop? Maybe I’ll just tune it blubbery rich and send it off? Just a homeowner Poulan so not super important if the saw eventually burned up.
There won't be a difference at that. Now 1200 ft may be more significant at a high altitude.
I know Walker's set their
saws up at maybe 4-500Ft for a lot of Fallers that don't tune. It works out about right on for Heli-Falling. Conventional blocks can be a good drive up the mountain. They set them up pretty fast at the shop to utilize all power.
They are definitely not pushing tachometers to their customers.
Obviously these are pro-line ported saws that have unlimited coils.

In the winter the molecules have less energy therefore tighter molecules = denser air= leaner conditions to you settings.
The saw will be more affected as the seasons change than the elevation you speak of.

Well unless you go there yourself all you can do is tune
it rich, when the user receives it, instruct them to warm it up for a minute,
then find the biggest log they can and video two or three long cuts.
Even just record the sound using a phone will do, you can advise then
if any tuing is required, might seem a hassle, but the saw will stand a better chance.

As in the above post, run the saw on a cold night for the test, reasons explained post above this.

My opinion is 1200' on a stock saw at ASL is less susceptible than 1200 feet of difference when nits 5000' to 6200', but I'm not a tuner or even pro capable. Just ues a sharpie marker and write on the cover which screw and which way to turn it. Video or facetime is easy.....

Thanks guys.

The saw is just for cleaning up at a rural home lot that abuts farm field on two sides so just occasional clean up. You could probably level every tree on the lot with two or three tanks. So I’ll probably be doing a carb kit and fuel lines on this one in a few years long before they’d wear it out.

Back