Aluminum Snaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm....that was blocked. And fast too...must be automatic.

:::Entering NINJA mode:::

You didn't hear me say this.

STOP! STOP! STOP!

Don't let this thread go any further.

The myth about stress fractures in aluminum is just a bunch of "bollocks". That's a direct quote from Denny Moorhouse, The Wizard of Iron.

Go to the "Rated" thread on the TB website and you'll get more information.

Tom

Stop the insanity!

Don't let this thread go any further.

The myth about stress fractures in aluminum is just a bunch of "bollocks". That's a direct quote from Denny Moorhouse, The Wizard of Iron.

Go to the "Rated" thread on the TB website and you'll get more information.

Tom

PS When I got done writing this reply I scrolled down to 165's thread on the "Reply" page and the link is complete, maybe I shouldn't let the cat out of the bag :)

The cat, Darin, is sleeping hopefully. Maybe we mice can get a couple dances in on the kitchen table before he wakes up.

Tango?

Tom has cleared up my last doubts on aluminum attattchments, and i thought the stuff was magically light and strong before!

Even after having to make last lanyard after gas rinsing old one, i put Sherrill aluminum snap on it, thought i'd miss the weight for tossing out and around, but it doesn't seem so!

But, instead of being not being as careful with aluminum; i have taken those habits and turned them around to be more careful with all the gear (like i was anyway). So hope that journey hasn't been in vein!

I have 3 of them the one I climb on regularly is 3 years old.

16010.jpg

IMHO, an aluminum snap is less secure than a carabiner due to the fact that a snap takes only two moves to open them. A posi-lock carabiner requires three. Toss those snaps and get a William. :D

Tim, Go back and check the Z. It says Posilocking carabiners or self closing snap. The double locking snap addresses a "problem" that may never have existed. ( I don't know if a statistic exists re an injury attibutable to snap failure) I climbed for 16 years with Bourdon 1210 snaps on my lanyard with NO instance of accidental gate opening or unclipping. The snaps are fundamentally different than a 'biner. They have deep , narrow hooks for clipping to a ring and a short gate that is MUCH less suceptable to accidental opening because of it's positioning and leverage factors. If snaps have a disadvantage it lies in their weight and limited versatility compared to 'biners. The Aluminium snaps make a great deal of sense-just wish they weren't so ugly and clunky looking.

Back