Am 900 altec

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

since16

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was looking for a bucket truck. Have been looking hard at a used am 855 but found a low miles local am900 it is 72' I think I understand the non over center boom but it says 37' side reach. The only buckets I have used were forestry and over center you could do pretty much everything. Would a am900 b good for tree work or am855 b better. Any down falls I would need to know about? 72' would b sweet yes I climb. It has two buckets I would remove one. I have used a bucket once in 10 yrs and thought this would make my days much better.

The 900 is looooooong when stowed. The double bucket is a bigger problem than most think. I looked at an 855 with double bucket and would cost 5k to remove one. Its not as simple as cutting one off due to the hyd. controls.

Do NOT buy a unit with the fiber optic controls. Make CERTAIN the knuckle bearing and rotate bearing are good or you will end up spending HUGE coin.

I am running an 855 and an XT60. The 855 will certainly do things the XT can't but I think I'd take the xt over the 855 just because of the amazing amount of over center.

Back