Am I competing against myself?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. I am looking to go into solar. I plan to finish a degree and go in as a manager or project manager and pick up tree gigs here and there.

I forget.. how long has the dan been at his own gig?? I'm just wondering if you're giving it enough time. I was feeling sort of down about the tree biz after last year, but so far this year it seems like things are better than ever, every day the phone rings with more good solid jobs coming in (mostly refferal/repeat customers). This should be my last week of sitting on my ass (thankfully). I actually feel like things might actually start paying off again, like they were in 08. I say hang in there dano....

besides, WTF is solar?? is this part of that whole going gay.. I mean "going green" deal??

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Why not give me the same deal that they gave my old boss? It seems they are trying to whore me out to do their dirty work while reaping all the benys. I think i'm going to demand that I get the same deal as Arborcare or NO DEAL!!! I really don't need the money right now, doing fine by myself.

There ya go! Don't let them fool ya! They are wanting to be holding the long end... which would leave you, well...holding the short end.

Good to hear you are doing well.

I forget.. how long has the dan been at his own gig?? I'm just wondering if you're giving it enough time. I was feeling sort of down about the tree biz after last year, but so far this year it seems like things are better than ever, every day the phone rings with more good solid jobs coming in (mostly refferal/repeat customers). This should be my last week of sitting on my ass (thankfully). I actually feel like things might actually start paying off again, like they were in 08. I say hang in there dano....

besides, WTF is solar?? is this part of that whole going gay.. I mean "going green" deal??

I have been at it for some time. I could never stop but I would like to do different stuff to. I have a good backround in electronics and mechanics and enjoy that stuff too. I was looking at climbing towers.

Yeah, I agree, if you are doing well enough on your own why would you want to go to work for someone else. Another thing is, whats going to happen when you commit to working for these guys and your own jobs start coming in. That's why I was saying that I would look at what they had and if it's worth your while do the job but I wouldn't hire on as an employee.

Things are starting to pick up here too. Weather and having to deal with doctors has got me backed up. I did a job today (easy one) have to do a large removal tomorrow, another large removal Friday and have four more large trees to look at. In addition, my stump sub has a job for 27 trees he wants me to look at. So I'm as busy as I want to be for the moment.

There ya go! Don't let them fool ya! They are wanting to be holding the long end... which would leave you, well...holding the short end.

Good to hear you are doing well.

remember that golf course job I was telling you about? Well he finally called me now that it is spring and i'm busy, go figure! I'm working on another quote for him. If your still interested and I can make money then on this job??? He is trying to low ball me a little though I think. He wants to do a couple of half days.

I have been at it for some time. I could never stop but I would like to do different stuff to. I have a good backround in electronics and mechanics and enjoy that stuff too. I was looking at climbing towers.

you should install solar panels. Some bucks to be made there. I cut down trees before just so people could have solar panels on their roof. You could make money both ways.

Yeah, I agree, if you are doing well enough on your own why would you want to go to work for someone else. Another thing is, whats going to happen when you commit to working for these guys and your own jobs start coming in. That's why I was saying that I would look at what they had and if it's worth your while do the job but I wouldn't hire on as an employee.

Things are starting to pick up here too. Weather and having to deal with doctors has got me backed up. I did a job today (easy one) have to do a large removal tomorrow, another large removal Friday and have four more large trees to look at. In addition, my stump sub has a job for 27 trees he wants me to look at. So I'm as busy as I want to be for the moment.

thats what I call the spring mad rush, then slows a bit in the heat of the summer.

I'm climbing for a landscape co tomorrow...their client wanted a tree done and they were not confident they could do it the way he wants and called me.
I gave them my day rate...$273 half day $550 full, they talked to their client, green light, let's get it done!
If I have rigging to do I will bring my own guy, I won't risk running ropes with people who have never done it before +/or don't speak good English!

Last month subbing for another l'scape co paid the bills, all my estimates, they make their $$ on markup, trucking and cleanup...besides my truck is parked on site with my logo, and my bright green shirts don't look like anyone else but me!

the hell with the towers , go be an Ironworker good pay full beni's and flexible hrs...

I'm climbing for a landscape co tomorrow...their client wanted a tree done and they were not confident they could do it the way he wants and called me.
I gave them my day rate...$273 half day $550 full, they talked to their client, green light, let's get it done!
If I have rigging to do I will bring my own guy, I won't risk running ropes with people who have never done it before +/or don't speak good English!

Last month subbing for another l'scape co paid the bills, all my estimates, they make their $$ on markup, trucking and cleanup...besides my truck is parked on site with my logo, and my bright green shirts don't look like anyone else but me!

Thats Ok if your company vehicles are on site then your getting some recognition for your work but when the customer gives the referal it won't be you it will be the landscape co. Then in 5 years the landscape co. will decide to start their own tree service branch and hire their own full time climbers.

Also your teaching them how you do things. I can see subbing for someone out of the area but not for someone who could be direct competition down the road.

Last edited:
Well this lot's customer requsted a proper tree surgeon, they don't have one.
There being no locals in training anywhere, for them to hire a tree surgeon they'd have to advertise overseas...pay mucho $$$ to the Government for a work permit, pay taxes and insurance find accomodation etc. etc...might as well sub to me.
So if you see an ad for a tree surgeon in Bermuda...STAY AWAY because you'll become my competition!!:buttkick::)

Your an exception Bermie considering you live and work on an island.
If I every make down your way i'll be sure to bring on tree gear.
:):cheers:

Back