Am I going to hurt much this cherry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus139

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a detached garage in the back of the yard and when it rains water accumulates in front of this garage and sometimes it goes into it. To alleviate that I'm digging a channel around it so water can flow to lower ground.

My problem is that I have a big cherry tree nearby and I need to cut some of the roots, but I will do this only if it's not going to hurt it much. I have some pics here to give a better idea.

Any thoughts on whether this is going to hurt/damage the tree?

Today it's raining so I'm planning on continue with the dig hopefully tomorrow or later in the week.

m.-

i know that this isn't what you asked, but perhaps it can help... the Do It Yourself home repair list i'm on has been discussing the "huge puddle at the garage" topic lately-- i just went back to review, and the solution applauded was to cut through the cement/asphalt at the entrance to the garage, dig a low trench, then a drain installed with a grate on top that you can drive over... a cap on one end, and then extend with flexible gutters to drain the water to the area that can handle it... that could prevent slicing through the roots...

if you want more details, PM me and i can pass the info on...

Oh! I would like to learn more about that. I think it's a good appproach, thanks for bringing that up. My case might be a slightly different though. Today is raining and I can tell that by digging the small trench I started, the water flows away from the front of the garage. So I might not need to cut the asphalt.

Now, as you indicated, to get the water to the area that can handle it, well I think we need to get beyond those cherry roots to the back of the yard. Whether with flexible gutters or with the trench I'm digging, those roots are in the way and I can only think of cutting them or try to go underneath them (I don't know if this is possible, I think there will be more).

m.-

I assume you plan to follow the trench that was started in the picture. If so there will be some stress on a really cool old tree. However, if you dig by hand and trench under the bigger roots, those that would be hard to cut with a shovel, you should be ok.
In on spot I see you have a 3 or 4 inch root exposed, just dig under it, trying not to injure it. Then install the drain tube underneth.
As a rule of thumb, measure the base of the tree and multiply that diameter by 5, you must stay at least that distance away from the trunk, when trenching on one side. That is a minimum.
So your tree is what, 5 feet? Times 5, give you a minimum of 25 feet. You can break the rule if you dig by hand and avoid cutting big roots. Or how about going around the other side of the shed?

why not dig a trench along the foundation of the garage? that would cut a lot less roots, and the water would still flow, right? That tree is qute an asset, and you've already damaged it. Smart to step back and thingk about it.

I don't but the root/leg analogy-- we only got 2 legs and we can't grow anymore, except the lizards who are reading this...

Mike, it would take some very careful shoveling to get a tube under those roots without wounding em pretty bad, but it's not a bad idea.

Whatever you don. when the leaves fall this year chop em up with a shredder or something and use em as mulch. You gotta work to invigorate the uncut roots so they can do the work of the cut roots.

See Treatment of construction damaged trees and Proper Mulching etc in the link below.

Mike Maas said:
I assume you plan to follow the trench that was started...
Yes, I need to get it all the way to the back fence where the water can keep going. Today we have rain again, so I'll continue during the week.

Mike Maas said:
In on spot I see you have a 3 or 4 inch root exposed, just dig under it, trying not to injure it. Then install the drain tube underneth.
I wasn't planning on installing a tube. My idea was to line it with bricks and leave it open so it can be cleaned when I do the yard. Some of my neighbors have pipes and they are all clogged.

Mike Maas said:
So your tree is what, 5 feet? Times 5, give you a minimum of 25 feet... ...Or how about going around the other side of the shed?
Unfortunately it's a tight space for the size of the tree. There are many more roots in front of the shed so either way we are going to run into them.

My idea was that for a tree this size, the roots must go really deep and in all directions, so chopping a few on the top wouldn't affect the tree much. I'm glad I'm getting better advise here.

m.-

treeseer said:
why not dig a trench along the foundation of the garage?
I thought of that, but I was trying to go around this bush next to the garage. Now I think I rather remove that than damage the tree.

treeseer said:
You gotta work to invigorate the uncut roots so they can do the work of the cut roots.
So far there's only been one root I cut and I did it because it wasn't going anywhere. Previous owners may have cut it before and there were some rocks in front of the tip it so I just shortened it about 6 inches. Other than that, well that's why I'm here with my questions. I'm going to check that link you posted.

m.-

I been doing apt maintenance for 26yrs and looks like you have a good slope
on drive out to street.Dig 8" trench along right side of drive,put in 2"s gravel
lay in 3" french drain and 12x12 grate with elbow at corner of garage,let it
drain to street.Get 3" french (green pipe w/ holes) and drain grate at Home Depot along w/ gravel. depending on driveway lenght probably less then
$75 then cover with grass from trench,just remember to slope trench.
Should work great form your pics & you can leave roots alone.

Mike E.

Sorry Marcus my mistake! The side pic from front yard looked like slope
was enough but in new pic i can see rise in drive.
I'd say trench around garage too then! only can work with what ya got,but
it's nice yard and a beautiful tree.
Good Luck
Mike E.

Latest posts

Back