am i in the wrong here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v-ridge

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
almost two years ago i ordered 3 -25' rolls of .325 .063 chain online( rather not say from who just yet). went through the first roll just fine and just now opened the second box saturday. without noticing that the spool was marked 3/8 .058 in the box marked .325 .063, i broke of two chain lengths. long story short, i contacted customer service, and was basically told TS. am i in the wrong here?

/

I don't care how long you had it, as long as you have proof they sold you the wrong item, it's their oops.

I don't care how long you had it, as long as you have proof they sold you the wrong item, it's their oops.

thats what i think, but they said since i broke some off the spool, its my problem. even though the box says its the correct chain.

I think they should take care of you. Maybe make you pay a couple bucks for what you took off the spool, but come good for returning the rest of it. You relied on the label and may not have noticed right away it was labeled incorrectly. Easy mistake to make. If I order a fish sandwich and I take a bite and it happens to be chicken bet ya the fast food chains take it back:). If they don't take it back due to their mistake I can imagine the bad PR they are going to get as you spread the word. Just by word of mouth they will lose more in the long run than the cost of that loop.

I would give them one more shot - maybe a bad customer service rep rather than a bad company. I f you get the same response from another rep then I would shout out their name. A reputable company should correct their error no matter how much time has passed.

Be a cold day in hell before I bought anything else from them.
And you should rat them out to prevent someone else from getting stung.

i'm going to see if i can talk to someone higher up tomorrow. i told him that i am by no means trying to get something for nothing, and that i would send it back, if he would send me the correct chain. his reply was "what am i going to do with it?"

diplomacy

Okay, the receiving department (you) checked in the three boxes of chain, based upon the box... which is just fine (most of the time)
The retailer that sold you the chain thought that it was the right one, based upon what is written on the box, again most of the time is just fine. Now what to do?

I might be tempted to whine a little and see if someone sell you a bar for .058 really cheap to use it up!

You never really know what is in a box until you open it. I worked retail in the receiving department and some surprises have been discovered! From the manufacturer, not the warehouse :hmm3grin2orange:

Okay, the receiving department (you) checked in the three boxes of chain, based upon the box... which is just fine (most of the time)
The retailer that sold you the chain thought that it was the right one, based upon what is written on the box, again most of the time is just fine. Now what to do?

I might be tempted to whine a little and see if someone sell you a bar for .058 really cheap to use it up!

You never really know what is in a box until you open it. I worked retail in the receiving department and some surprises have been discovered! From the manufacturer, not the warehouse :hmm3grin2orange:

i totally agree that it was the manufacture that was at fault, but this company sold it to me. i'll let you guys no more tomorrow, and thank you all for the replies of encouragement. mark

his reply was "what am i going to do with it?"

UH, Sell it to customers in loops? Make chains for guys who need that chain type? Gripe to the manufacturer and get credit for it?

I think your offer to pay for the chain you broke off and get your money back is more than fair. From working in retail I think you may have better luck asking for store credit. Not as good as your money back if your PO'd but spend it up and end your business with them. Ultimately you "bought" and paid for the chain you wanted, not what they sent you.

Good luck, Hellbent :rock:

i'm going to see if i can talk to someone higher up tomorrow. i told him that i am by no means trying to get something for nothing, and that i would send it back, if he would send me the correct chain. his reply was "what am i going to do with it?"

Your too nice, I damn sure would have told him what to do with it.:hmm3grin2orange:

If the manufacturer flubbed it, and the retailer didn't check it on arrival, then why blame you for not checking it. The retailer should take it back and deal with the manufacturer. One or the other can probably write it off as a loss anyway.

If they don't want to make it right, by all means call them out. Bad PR spreads allot quicker than good. Make up the loops that you broke off, then sell the loops an the spool :rock:.

You didnt use the loops, still new? You or they could spin them back on the roll, and relabel the box correctly. This shouldnt be a problem.

It might be the manufacture's fault but face facts, he (the company) got its markup. That chain would be going back. If I sold you the chain, I'd be more than willing to take back the chain just to save my good name and keep you as a customer.. (who would be telling your friends about what a great guy I was)

i totally agree that it was the manufacture that was at fault, but this company sold it to me. i'll let you guys no more tomorrow, and thank you all for the replies of encouragement. mark

Two years? C'mon!

Most retailers, wholesalers and whatnot have return policies... and most are willing to stretch those policies a bit from time-to-time. But two years? C'mon, your asking a bit much from the seller, and it would be totally unfair to blame them. After two years you expect the seller to just "take-you-at-your-word", c'mon. After two years your only real option is to contact the manufacturer/packager directly... maybe you'll get satisfaction, maybe not. Personally I'd just sell the roll if I had no use for it and buy what I needed... heck, it's probably worth one-and-a-half-times what you paid for it two years ago, you could sell it for more than you paid and still make someone a heck of a deal.

Chalk-it-up as a "lesson learned" and open the boxes on receipt next time.

I see both sides here guys, but I buy parts for my unimog in bulk, say 6 fuel filters at a time, 3-4 oil filters, hydraulic filters and other stuff. It comes a ways away and you saving shipping costs and if an emergency arises, you have it on hand. I do not open everything and inspect it. Maybe I'm lucky. I work retail where we receive goods from vendors everyday. Lots of things come in prepackaged and you can not see inside. If something goes out from our yard and is discovered to have hidden damage or be incorrect we call our vendors and we get it taken care of. This particular instance with some removed from item, we would have swapped him out for the correct item and just ran an in house special to get something for the return. I would have at least called my vendor and explained to them the issue to see if they would help compensate, but our first priority is to make the customer happy with-in reason.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back