Am I Nuts????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I only have a few pieces that need it, and they are easy splitters, I will use a maul instead of getting splitter out. Other than that, I spent enough time on the handle of a maul for Dad, who wouldn't buy a splitter. He said he had me , why buy one? I don't find the enjoyment of them that some people do. God made a man that was smart enough to figure hydraulics out. Why should I beat myself up? There are other jobs that are more than willing to beat me up, I need don't look for them. This guy doesn't seem to tire though. >:chop:

I sometimes split with a maul or an ax and my splitter works just fine. It's good exercise. I have a couple of old two man crosscut saws but my wife said hell no. So you're not nuts or we both are.

I have a splitter for my skid-steer, a couple hydros, a Fiskars, 6 & 8 lbs. mauls, axes, and sledges & wedges. And sometimes I will noodle. I use the tool I think will handle the job most efficiently. I figured once I had a skid-steer mounted one, the rest would rust away... not so. Guess I must be nuts too, because I enjoy using them all.

Except for partial-noodling of unsplittable forks & knots, I hand-split everything, with a MAUL.
By that I mean a maul whose head has been shaped, either at the foundry or by me, with flat head-faces & an edge. Head weight 5-6.6 lb. Crude cheapies and fanboy-toys need not apply. Keep the anchors-on-a-stick, please.
No CO-dosing, noise, or fussy cold-weather starts; easily portable out into the woods. Faster than hydraulics. :chop:

I have both - a splitter and mauls . If I pick up a couple rounds somewhere by themselves I will most likely use the mall on them. Too much stuff to move around in the shop to get the splitter out for just two rounds. :)

You are not nuts. I enjoy splitting by hand as long as it splits easy enough. If I can't split it with the x27, it goes to the splitter. I don't split by hand as much as I would like to, it tends to bother my back if I do to much splitting by hand. I am currently in the process of getting my back straightened out, literally. I have scoliosis pretty bad and am seeing a chiropractor.

You are not nuts. I enjoy splitting by hand as long as it splits easy enough. If I can't split it with the x27, it goes to the splitter. I don't split by hand as much as I would like to, it tends to bother my back if I do to much splitting by hand. I am currently in the process of getting my back straightened out, literally. I have scoliosis pretty bad and am seeing a chiropractor.

Get an inversion table, and a chin up bar. Do dead hangs until your back stretches out and starts joint popping. Same thing the expensive chiros do. Actually better.... Then hit the full extension chin ups as well, strengthens the back and gut muscles the same time as the arm muscles. Straight up and down, then twisties, and also leg lift scrunches as you go up, first for one rep, then for many.

When I blew out 12 disks, man, I had to try everything to avoid surgery, that is what I finally settled on that works.

Get an inversion table, and a chin up bar. Do dead hangs until your back stretches out and starts joint popping. Same thing the expensive chiros do. Actually better.... Then hit the full extension chin ups as well, strengthens the back and gut muscles the same time as the arm muscles. Straight up and down, then twisties, and also leg lift scrunches as you go up, first for one rep, then for many.

When I blew out 12 disks, man, I had to try everything to avoid surgery, that is what I finally settled on that works.
12 discs. Dang. I had 4 bulging and thought that was unbearable.

to put it bluntly... yes you are nuts like the rest of us!! splitting by hand(axe or maul) works for me with just a single cord. if more than that needs to be worked up, its splitter time with one hand and a cold drink on a hot day or just the opposite! just like they say "even a nut can find a blind squirrel once in awhile".... lol

I have thought getting an inversion table, just never took the time to look into them. When you talk about popping, that sounds like it could do more harm than good if one is not careful.

I know you said all that worked for you but that doesn't mean that it will work for me. I have been going to the chiro for several weeks now and I am making pretty good improvements. I have scoliosis and a nerve gets pinched in the lower back. When I first started going to the chiro, my pelvis was 2 inches higher than the other. Now it is less than an inch higher and the degrees of the spine is looking much better too. If I didn't have any back problems, I would split much more wood by hand.

I could not imagine the pain you felt when you blew 12 disks. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to cause that?

I have thought getting an inversion table, just never took the time to look into them. When you talk about popping, that sounds like it could do more harm than good if one is not careful.

I know you said all that worked for you but that doesn't mean that it will work for me. I have been going to the chiro for several weeks now and I am making pretty good improvements. I have scoliosis and a nerve gets pinched in the lower back. When I first started going to the chiro, my pelvis was 2 inches higher than the other. Now it is less than an inch higher and the degrees of the spine is looking much better too. If I didn't have any back problems, I would split much more wood by hand.

I could not imagine the pain you felt when you blew 12 disks. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to cause that?

4 guys standing up 1200 lb crate. 3 pros, opne temp, temp on my side. half way up he wimps out and lets go. The other guys on the other side didn't know and kept lifting. the crate went unbalanced and was falling on me. One of those microsecond realities, I was going to get smashed good. I did a major push, crate stood up, I collapsed. That effort blew them out, ruptured them.

Oh I thinik chuiro is good too, I did that as well, hydrotherapy, anythuing. Accupuncture, chinese herbs, you name it.

The straight docs wanted near immediate surgery, remove disks, insert rods, with me in a wheelchair or walker forever. I said no, with some choice words added, did any and all alternmatives.

I got better long tem enough to work part time, but had two bouts of poverty and being homeless in between. I still have relapses now and then.

Pain..ehh...ya. Wasn't sure I was gonna make it a few times there.

4 guys standing up 1200 lb crate. 3 pros, opne temp, temp on my side. half way up he wimps out and lets go. The other guys on the other side didn't know and kept lifting. the crate went unbalanced and was falling on me. One of those microsecond realities, I was going to get smashed good. I did a major push, crate stood up, I collapsed. That effort blew them out, ruptured them.

Oh I thinik chuiro is good too, I did that as well, hydrotherapy, anythuing. Accupuncture, chinese herbs, you name it.

The straight docs wanted near immediate surgery, remove disks, insert rods, with me in a wheelchair or walker forever. I said no, with some choice words added, did any and all alternmatives.

I got better long tem enough to work part time, but had two bouts of poverty and being homeless in between. I still have relapses now and then.

Pain..ehh...ya. Wasn't sure I was gonna make it a few times there.
Ooouuuuccccchhhhh!12 ruptured disks. I ruptured 3 at once and thought it was over for me. No surgery for me either,lost 50lbs lots of sit ups and eating a lot healthier and so far so good,I mean I have good days and bad ones but I'm so glad I didn't opt for the surgery. The surgeons said they had something like 30 40% success rate, no thanks

Latest posts

Back