am I out of the loop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I can do it

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last edited:
I would get along with that guy... as long as he had my fee in his pocket.
Its not him that scares me though, its his ground crew.

never seen that before lmao. can that one guy drag that pile of limbs,,,,,,,,,, if so hes hired and im gettn a bigger chipper

i knew a guy that climbed with a chain buck strap. we had a 16' trailer loaded with wood 8' high. him and another guy threw they big green dolly up top and didnt make sure it would stay. handle bar ate his forehead a little. it wouldnt normally be so bad, but we had this one reinforced and she was pretty heavy lol.

I hope OSHA gets hold of this video. NO PPE ANYWHERE. Not tied in in TWO places when running the saw in the tree. although I suppose you don't need it with chain that big:dizzy:

Osha

Industry,
Why does one wish for OSHA to get involved. I work for a company that has all these saftey rules, you cant back up wihtout a spotter and no one handing yada yada yada. I am not all for breaking the rules but sometimes its done, and some rules are stupid. Getting involved with OSHA is no joke, more or less you will get cited for something, reagrdless of how nit picky you are about saftey.
People are gonna do things their own way, and their will always be guys who climb with just a buckstrap for removals, but so be it. Cant have a watchdog for everything.

Thill; I don't believe that someone should be touted as an arborist on local TV, then shown with NO ppe on their jobsite at all. His groundies were walking into his DZ with no Hats on, no hearing protection at the chipper, No safty glasses. That is just a Piss poor example to be broadcasting to the uneducated populace.

Where did you find this clip? The news channel who aired it just portrayed the image that tree work involved climbing with chains and blocking down wood and using no climbing line or rigging. No PPE, no direction.. ARBORIST??? What the heck! That insults us!

We should get TCIA to request that the news channel checks certifications and only portrays PROPER practicing, REAL arborists. Also, how about they air an apology for showing the scabs of the industry?

I mean, its one thing to have YouTube videos, but this is the local news!

Yeah so the roots like stretch n stuff and they like fall over....

Yeah so trees are like sails and if you attach them to a ship they will propel it when the wind moves.

Osha

Well I would agreed another idiot making all of us look bad. But they are a dime a dozen, you cant get rid of em all. I saw a line clearance guy the other day,boom between primaries and secondaries, in the rain, bouncing wood out into a main road. The best part was the detail cop was leaning on the truck.
The guy I work for on Saturdays refuses to wear a helmet, even thought I got him a brand new one. Some are just stuck in their ways.
But OSHA is a big deal thats all, I know first hand what its like to be involved with them. Not something to joke about, nor someone who is behind the times on gear and PPE. Also correct me if I am wrong but doesnt OSHA only apply to companies 11 employees or bigger?

Last edited:
Take a look at this video..How many of you out there climb with a 3/8 truckers chain?

I don't know, maybe he's broke and can't afford two fliplines. I remember as a newbie climber, i couldn't afford a decent saddle and was stuck with an old buttstrap. Duct taped a board to the buttstrap and turned it into an almost comfortable batten seat. But i got laughed at alot-how many guys go up a tree with a board taped to the saddle? Maybe he likes the chain. Or maybe he's just an innovator-who came up with the idea to climb up a tree with what's basically a cable? In ten years, we may all be using chains as lanyards. (Ok, maybe i've out in the sun too long.):laugh:

lots of loggers here on the West Coast of BC and on the Mainland use chain for fliplines, more so on the BIG cedars and douglas firs./

something about being eaiser to get it around the tree and flipping it up.....

PHP:
Well I would agreed another idiot making all of us look bad

He is not making us look to bad..... I did like the comment about the roots stretching though. The crew had NO protection at all.

Also correct me if I am wrong but doesnt OSHA only apply to companies 11 employees or bigger?
Some OSHA rules only apply to to 11 person or larger like injury record keeping and such, but general safety rules like hard hat apply to any one that calls themselves a business. This can be a 1 man operation and include part timers. Hard hat fines are about 5k for every person on the jobsite without one.
Sad that the news crew was allowed to display the footage of the obviously unsafe crew at work.

Back