Am I slow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was cutting splitting stacking Red Oak yesterday I figure I worked about 3 hours and only have I'm guessing 1/2 a cord stacked. Cutting 16" pieces and splitting with a Speeco 25 ton splitter. By myself a one man show, am I slow? Seems like I should have got more wood stacked in that time, but I'm not exactly young anymore either.

I was cutting splitting stacking Red Oak yesterday I figure I worked about 3 hours and only have I'm guessing 1/2 a cord stacked. Cutting 16" pieces and splitting with a Speeco 25 ton splitter. By myself a one man show, am I slow? Seems like I should have got more wood stacked in that time, but I'm not exactly young anymore either.

Being slow or fast is all relative, and it all depends on many things. How far from the pile you are, how motivated you are to make production, type of wood, size of rounds, the list goes on and on. On a good day I can crank out a cord per two hours with red oak, but only if the wood is ideal. 20 rounds, four way head, decent temperatures, minimal interruptions( I sure wish our neighbor would quite tanning on her deck within eyesight of my wood pile) etc.

The big thing is work within your comfort zone, if you exceed it you just wear yourself out faster and you end up quitting earlier. There are boatloads of guys who are faster than I am, and I dont really care. I know a guy nearby that busts a cord an hour, and he is a marvel to watch, but I also know dang well that by the end of the day he is shot and aint good for splitting for at least three or four days, while I can bust wood at my pace day after day. In the end, I still get more done than he does, and in my book that is worth far more.

Sounds about right to me. I spent around six hrs by myself and did about 1.25 cord splitting with the fiskars. I didn't really even take a break. Having a helper sure helps.

A 4 way on the spiltter would certainly help, and the cycle time is not exactly fast on that splitter. When it gets colder out and or frozen wood I will do it with a Fiskars maul.

Definitely found a helper makes a huge difference when splitting. When I was splitting with my neighbour's splitter, he sits there and runs the controls for me. He's in a wheelchair, so he doesn't do anything else but handle the controls and occasionally pick up a split that falls on his side that needs to be split again. All of it gets tossed in a pile, and I move/stack it later.

I've run the splitter on my own, and I find it's almost twice as fast to have him there... I can have two hands on the round to hold it in place, grab what's gonna fall, grab the next round, etc.

i usually base my cord processing on about 3 and a half man hours per cord ... it normally takes me 1 hr to cut a cord of rounds off a log pile ,then 1.hr 10 min each to split and stack in a rack with a helper [son] on the smart end of the splitter... then add 10 min each to toss into the trlr for delivery . time ends up being same if i m keeping it for myself [ having to shuttle the splits across the property and stacking it in my racks takes just about same time .but everybodies terrain,equipment,motivation is diff and those are the variables ,hope you arnt trying to make a living of firewood ,ive been sellin for years as a hobby/second income venture keeps my firewood racks full and cad financed cheers jk

If you are working at a comfortable pace, who cares? If you don't feel a little tired by the end, speed up a little. If you feel too tired, slow down. There are a lot of variables in how fast or slow you can go. Cutting large wood with a dull chain is a good example. Having to walk too far or the position of the splitter relative to the rounds and your wood pile all plays a part in how well you produce. I would be more concerned with being as efficient as possible with each movement than how much wood I have at the end of three hours. If you are moving at a good but comfortable pace and are working as efficiently as possible, then you are doing what you can.

I tend to think it's the splitter, if I had a 4 way I could cut the splitting time in half. I don't sell wood and am not in a race to see how fast I can go, but I think I could be doing a cord in 3 hours. Maybe I need to cut down on the beer breaks. No bad idea!

Hmmm...

You're getting a cord every 6 hours while drinking Beer.

I'm getting around that, without Beer, but don't go at it like I'm killing snakes to avoid sucking the fun out of it.

I'd say ya have a good pace. Any faster and it would be work, and you would risk spilling Beer...which is contrary to the objective.

Add in the potential for pulling a hammie or torqueing the back at a faster pace, and then the subsequent costs of meds and downtime, and your pace makes perfect sense.

Just stick with it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well to be honest about 3 hours is all my out of shape 54 year old body can take on the wood pile. So what ever I do in 3 hrs. I do.

Nope

You got it done, you didn't keel over..that's the speed to work at. It's neither slow nor frast, it is "just right".

Why reinvent the rat race for your own firewood? I work to the point it is good exercise, but not past that. There ain't no medals awarded for doing your own wood, and you got a whole year season to season to get it up and stacked.

When I chainsaw I go slow and careful, when I hand split sometimes I like to let it rip, that's my "woodrobics" workout. 10-15 minutes, that's it, but I do like that almost every day when I have the time. I feed the dogs then and that is as long as they want to wait with eating then off the chains and out for a walk and ..dog business.

Sometimes I like just getting medieval on horrible nasty pieces, I'll stand there as long as it takes, I'll whack them into splintered submission eventually. Ya, easier to go grab a saw and noodle them up, but not near as much fun....although I do get some where the dang wood wins, despite my best viking with a battle axe routine....grumble....throw em on the bumer pile for "nest time"..but ya know what? No matter how freaking nasty a chunk of wood has been..eventually they all wind up somehow in small enough chunks to go into the heater. Might take me three years with a chunk of wood, I don't care, eventually they be cleaved down.

When I have run a power splitter, I just do it all right then. Every round waiting, just keep at it until done. Production rate, who knows, too many variables, some stuff splits like a dream, other stuff strings together and is a PITA. It's just easier, just lifting and tossing, doesn't seem like much sport to it. Hand splitting is much more art and finesse combined with getting physical. Power splitting is just grunt work. (to me, just sayin')

Wood to me is *fun* just as much as it heats the cabin and keeps the pastures shipshape. Just plain fun, love cutting and splitting! I hardly ever am glad I have to stop, it doesn't seem to tire me that much. Always planning my next foray to go get more...like "when between which other projects can I slide in more cutting"? It is about the number one thing I look forward to outside, it's #2 really, I admit I like sneaking off and thrashing the shoreline with some crankbait and hauling in bass.

Really,if I wasn't doing this general farm job, I'd like to run a small wood business (still doing rescue dogs and cats though, they are family so it don't count as work, and it sure ain't a business, just costs tons of money). Sell different types of wood, cordwood, cook wood, pulp, saw logs, don't matter, just whatever I could get and move, then on off days like rainy days and stuff, do some custom furniture with the wood like I used to. Guess that means I would be doing some milling as well.

My number 3 is gardening, but ye aulde ladyee likes doing that so much I leave it mostly to her. I'll run the tiller a few times a year and haul and spread some manure for her, after that she does it all.

I tend to think it's the splitter, if I had a 4 way I could cut the splitting time in half. I don't sell wood and am not in a race to see how fast I can go, but I think I could be doing a cord in 3 hours. Maybe I need to cut down on the beer breaks. No bad idea!

If I was going to cut back on one thing or the other, it wouldn't be the beer...

I am in bad shape. Worst of my life probably. Confirmed it over the last 2 days. I thought I'd take a week off and fix my roof before winter. It'd be a good warm up for the wood gathering season. Yesterday I humped pretty hard and got most of it tore off. Today I got the rest done, but now I'm in here wondering how I'm going to get out of this chair. I called my uncle and he is bringing a crew in to sheet and shingle it tomorrow. It'd be too hard to haul the material up there by myself anyway and the price he quoted me is far worth it. :msp_thumbup: I am glad that I have maybe 2 winters worth stacked and ready to go, but I am always eager to get out there and work. I am going to ease into it that is for sure.

I know that it seems like I don't get much done for the time I put in, but I always think of it in terms of going out for the enjoyment and don't try to work myself to death if I don't have to. I have found that working by myself is far more enjoyable then working with someone that is hung-over and puking and has a phone attached to his ear. Mostly I go alone with my daughters tagging along to keep an eye on me. I don't even like to answer my phone while I am in my happy place. It is my time to check out of the rat-race and just enjoy the natural world.

Sounds like par for the course, with the variable being the size of the splits.

Since I have the same machine, I know that if the rounds are stacked in 8'wide rows so the operator is never more than a step away from the wood, an 8" round is split into 6pieces, and tossed into a pile or truck, then 6hours can show close to 2cords. The splitter keeps getting moved closer after each row is completed to save steps.

With what you are doing, a long day would be 1cord/day. Cut/split/stack.

About 4 hours I get close to a cord if I am in good spirits that day, else it is more like 3/4 of a cord manual splitting. Really do not have help since my 3 1/2 year old has no concept of staying away from the wood I am cutting/splitting. He helps once I am done splitting, but until then I am alone.

Tes

Fast or slow is relative. Only thing that matters is if you get it done before its too late to do any more.

Latest posts

Back