Am I the only one who feels this way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I somehow got involved selling firewood. (another story) But I feel like it's a lot more fun running the saws and cutting wood than splitting. Maybe I need a more exciting reason to want to split. Shhhhh don't tell the wife but I've got visions of a Timberwolf in my possession.:biggrinbounce2:

hawk---same. but, i have a guy keep telling me i should sell him some of my firewood pile. uh huh. nope. i like all aspects, but i know hed want a truckful for measley. i get more value out of it in my woodstove.

I enjoy splitting firewood as much as I enjoy cutting it. That is probably because I enjoy using the splitter that I built myself. Prior to building my own splitter I used to use my former landlords splitter to split my wood and his. I never enjoyed splitting with his splitter but since building my own I can't wait to get out of the woods and start my other monstrasity up and put it to work....

I somehow got involved selling firewood. (another story) But I feel like it's a lot more fun running the saws and cutting wood than splitting. Maybe I need a more exciting reason to want to split. Shhhhh don't tell the wife but I've got visions of a Timberwolf in my possession.:biggrinbounce2:

A timberwolf hmmm,When life gets a little easier and ''then'' she's splitting the wood around the house.Just Don't Tell Her the Price..LoL ""Great Choice"" :popcorn:

I don't mind the splitting mainly because I can see the result of my efforts. Running the saw is a lot of fun. Especially since I bought a new one. The part that I really hate, is the loading of the cut wood and throwing of branches into a pile. That part seems to be the most labor intensive and not a lot of fun.

Matt

Hawk, I don't like splitting with a hydraulic splitter much. It is a slower and loud process. We have two hydraulic ones and one for the front of my skidsteer for the big stuff.

I do love splitting with the maul though. Peaceful and you can hear the crack of the wood when you smoke through it. In the smaller wood it is faster when you can just line the rounds up and go to town.

I enjoy cutting because I can grab a bigger saw and get really good production. Instant gratification when you see the pile mount up quickly.

Splitting and moving the wood to stack is what I like the least, and even at that it beats most things.

I normally hide in the corner, but today I felt like typing.

We don’t sell wood but for the last 5 years we have been playing in our woods collecting firewood. I’m starting to get a little cabin fever and looking forward to getting out in to the woods with the saws.

For almost 20 years we have been doing the yearly firewood thing but up until 5 years ago we would just have a load of logs dropped off and cut, split & stacked away.

Now having our own woods (just short of 60 acres) we are spending more time in the woods collecting blow downs and selectively cutting down some trees. I find the whole process to be rather fun. I like to cut, but I like loading the trailer. I like to climb up on to the tractor after throwing on a couple thousand pounds of 16-18” logs. I find the feeling very gratifying to feel totally drained and exhausted from head to toe after loading 3-4 trailers a day by hand.
After all our wood is out of the woods splitting is not what I want to do. The wife runs the splitter, and will split up all the wood (about 20-22 face cord). I’ll come back to help when it’s hauling and stacking time.

I enjoy the splitting about as much as cutting I split all mine with a maul, I just enjoy it. I do enjoy useing my power splitter also I think because I built it, mainly I use it at my moms place.When I help there with wood I dont always alot of time. If I was selling wood I would probably use the power splitter,I would like to build a bigger one with a 4 way for faster splitting.

As many here in this post have stated. It is gratifying in many ways to see the various stages of your efforts. Seeing the tree fall, then all the chunks you bucked from that tree, the thousands of pounds you just loaded on the truck and trailer, the beautiful stack of wood that is created after the splitting is done. They all have moments that make you feel good. I guess maybe its the slowness of the splitting process that leaves me feeling the way I do. I've also been considering a different splitting maul. Maybe I could get more enjoyment if I had something that worked better. Then I may be able to exceed the pace of my hydraulic splitter. :confused: Since the wife knows how to run the splitter (and does so reluctantly) maybe I could be doing the manual splitting. Hey maybe she would like the Timberwolf better too!!! (naw - I can hear it now "How much was this :censored: thing?" One thing's for sure, through all of this I'm in better shape than I have been for a few years.

Depending on the wood alot of the time you can split by hand faster than the average splitter. No you wont keep up with the splitter in elm or real big knotty pieces and may not be able to do it hours and hours on end thats why I have the splitter also. Splitting buy hand is alot of accuracy and knowing the wood by doing it alot ( I know it sounds silly but I find it true). After doing it alot you will find you should be able to hit a penny sized spot consitantly with an over hand swing. I also dont split while I am cutting I haul it home in chunks and split as I have time. Again If I was trying to sell alot of wood a large splitter with a 4 way and fast cycle time might be the way to go.

Last edited:
While I prefer felling and blocking. But splitting is not bad either when I get my niece or nephews out to help. They are five eight and nine years old. My youngest nephew has been running the controls since he was three. And they all wait until I give them the nod to let them know I am ready for them to bring the ram into the wood. When I ask if they want to split wood their eyes light up and you can hear the excitement. Many times they will ask if they can come out and split wood. It also keeps me feeling close to my Grandpa. He built the log splitter I am using. He passed away 20 years ago. But I feel like he is right there with me when I am using it.

Billy

Cowboy,

I know that feeling with the young ones at the controls. My 7 year old boy has been doing the wood thing with me for the past 3 years. He goes out with me on Saturday mornings and loads the trailer while I cut limbs. He knows to stand by the truck when I drop the tree. He runs the controls on the splitter. I am always very aware of where my fingers are and he knows to do nothing until I nod or say go. I couldn't get quite as much done without him helping and he really enjoys it.

I like cutting, do not mind splitting (kids help makes it fun tho). I just plain hate to stack. When the kids help and they like to, it is fun and we can sit out there and laugh, they even try to stack as they know I hate it.

Don't know if I could make money at it, might get boring then. Right now it is my relaxation time:clap:

Doug

I like it all, but for different reasons.

I like running a saw, because there's nothing better than felling safely and seeing a huge tree drop withing a foot of where you aimed it... and bucking/limbing is like the enjoyable after party post 4th of July fireworks.

I like splitting, all of it with a maul, because I like the exercise and seeing the wood transformed from heavy and immovable to split and burn ready, all under my own power. Plus there's nothing quite like having your maul head bounce back off a round of red oak and seeing the round split in half.... or when you split a big round into eight pieces all without one of them falling over.

I like stacking because you get a good sense of how much you really harvested, and there's nothing like five or six nice piles of wood in various stages of seasoning all lined up ready to provide heat for you. Plus I like driving a nice 4WD tractor/wagon full of wood through deep snow and around the tough terrain here in NE.

I think you need to be careful. When I started lurking on AS, I had one humble saw. Then I learned about square filing and power porting, and before long I found myself sneaking out to the garage to ogle over my latest purchases and saw collection.

If you start talking about new splitters because you "need" one; its going to be very expensive. I can hide an extra saw or two, but if more splitters start showing up in the yard...

Back