Am I the only one who prefers .043 over .050 on small saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I converted a couple of my smaller saws to .050, was pretty surprised how much I prefer .043 for limbing and small stuff. I know some of this is the grabbier stihl yellow chain over the safety chains, but even safety .050 vs .043.. A lot less grabby on the small stuff with the .043. I think I'm going to back to .043 for anything 14" or less

Stihl 61pmm3 is the 0.043 gauge 3/8lp is the chain I use in this class. There is Oregon and probably Oregon that comes new on battery chainsaws that has small cutters. Just calling out the 0.043 gauge as a class of it's own omits the fact some chain is just the 0.050 stuff assembled with different drive links, essentially, Carlton N4c for example.

I have bought a number of the 44dl Stihl bars to adapt in this class and have recently bought a 55 dl Stihl bar and modified it to fit an Echo 361p. What is preferable to a user may vary over time.

Stihl 61pmm3 is the 0.043 gauge 3/8lp is the chain I use in this class. There is Oregon and probably Oregon that comes new on battery chainsaws that has small cutters. Just calling out the 0.043 gauge as a class of it's own omits the fact some chain is just the 0.050 stuff assembled with different drive links, essentially, Carlton N4c for example.

I have bought a number of the 44dl Stihl bars to adapt in this class and have recently bought a 55 dl Stihl bar and modified it to fit an Echo 361p. What is preferable to a user may vary over time.
do you mean the Carlton n4c uses the larger cutters from the .050 chain? As Stihl and Oregon use smaller different cutters for their .043 version. As I think some guys would use this chain if that was the case instead of swapping out bars also to get the larger cutter?.

Personally i switch most .043 saws over due to customer complaints about how short the chain life is, .043 seems to stretch faster than .050

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have a few small chainsaws but I have not had the opportunity to use a chain smaller than 3/8 lp 0.50 "

Back