Am I the only one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the saws in my stable are 'old'. Most came to me in non-running condition. Most of the satisfaction I get from CAD comes from bringing old saws back to a working (ameture) life. At any given time, I've got about 10-15 good runners in the stable, with 5-10 being 100% ready to go cut right now. Those numbers fluctuate due to several factors.

Sometimes a runner get's taken out of the rotation for a carb kit, fuel line replacement, a new loop of chain, or some other minor issue. When I go cut wood, I'll take a couple saws to do most of the work, and at least one (often 5-6 if there's room in the truck) to handle 'special tasks' that the job may entail (such as ripping, or wearing a LONG bar for some big wood) and/or for a bit of fun, noise, and exercise. These old saws need a little attention, tinkering, and 'shakedown' from time to time. Got MANY projects waiting for parts and/or the time to finish them up. There's also a shelf of parts donors to keep the runners up and going. Unless I'm cutting on my property, I never just take one saw...:cheers:

A retired geezer has to have something to do in the winter so I fix 'suff', mostly chainsaws since last October.

I have no reason to cut wood. Don't burn it. Wife won't let me suppliment our winter heat with either one of our two fireplaces. Wood smoke bothers her sinus she claims. So, no need to even own a saw much less 16 of 'em. Yikes! A year ago I only had one little red Homie XL2.

The only time I cut wood is to tune my rebuilt wrecks. I have to drive out to a friends farm and test/tune while building him up a winter supply for his machinery repair shop. Take three or five at a time. He is amazed I get so little cut up in three or four hours.

I am going to talk him into hauling a length of that 24" shag bark hickory into town for a test log and find something to trade him for his 041 Farm Boss.

Wait till he sees my latest XL-101 chew wood.

Oh, I love to run the old saws, as do many of the rest of you. But as asked in the OP, when I'm headed out to cut wood, I'm not taking one that I don't believe in perfect running condition, regardless of age. I don't have a workbench in the field to fix it on, or the tools. Fix that old magnesium at home, get her running perfect, and then go cut wood.

I am such a pain in the assumption but my saws are all near as perfect as they can be.I have several new chains ready to run but I sharpen the old worn out ones to a high degree of perfection.I also listen to the saw. Is it running to rich? Can I gain a bit more power with a small adjustment?After every job cutting, I pull the plug and examine it, clean the air filter, resharpen, and ready to go.I ran my 028 against a friends Home lite XL 12. Well all I can saw is that this man will never shoot his mouth off in front of me.I just have a bad habit of over doing my maintenance practices.I have been know to use a file on a brand new chain.I wish I was able to make some $$ at it. Ken

:givebeer:

Oh, I love to run the old saws, as do many of the rest of you. But as asked in the OP, when I'm headed out to cut wood, I'm not taking one that I don't believe in perfect running condition, regardless of age. I don't have a workbench in the field to fix it on, or the tools. Fix that old magnesium at home, get her running perfect, and then go cut wood.

We heard you the first time Brad. Now go fix that 750 tank!:jester:

I take several saws with me when I go to cut. While I like modern saws, I take every opportunity to run my old magnesium. Some run great and some require occasional tinkering and adjustment. If I am in a hurry to get the work done (which isn't often) I don't bring anything that I know is not near 100% reliable. If i'm not then I always grab the old saws first.

I don't cut for a living, but I do live to cut!:rock:

I'm slowly building my collection. Chainsaws are like guns-each one is a little different, has different applications, and you can never have too many :laugh: I'm currently trying to set each saw up for a specific type of work along with a good way to store them in my truck so that when I go out to collect firewood I always have the right tool for the job whether that's cutting up tops, bucking medium sized trees, or noodling monster rounds into movable pieces. I'm no zillionaire so I love picking up dead saws and getting them going. It's a lot cheaper than buying new ones!

I have my good saw, and another one that I'm still tinkering with. I think you need at least one known good saw especially if you're cutting your winter wood. It's also a good time to fine tune and test out a repaired saw. So bringing it along isn't a bad thing.

I have a 024 that I was troubleshooting, and ended up cutting with that instead of my 290.

I always take a non running saw with me to go cut wood. The exercise I get from sawing on a tree with a dead saw can not be beat. Plus I don't have to carry all that gas and oil. Boy howdy I tell you what.:D

I always take a non running saw with me to go cut wood. The exercise I get from sawing on a tree with a dead saw can not be beat. Plus I don't have to carry all that gas and oil. Boy howdy I tell you what.:D

Is that because you like running Homelites?:hmm3grin2orange: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Latest posts

Back