Amazing Woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkpoor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I can't get over how efficient these old Nashua's are. My stove top is running 700 degrees and the black pipe out the back 2 feet up is only 100 degrees. I can rest my hand on it. The pipe on my old stove ran close to the same temp as the stove. The way they circulate the smoke before it leaves the box is very efficient at trapping the heat. Makes me wonder how this company went out of business with such a good design? I used to be able to make the pipe red if I wanted, now with the Nashua its not possible. Which has the inverse problem of collecting more creosote since my chimney pipe runs much cooler now. This is my second season on this stove.

Doesn't sound right. If they circulate the hot smoke through a hot stove then how can the smoke possibly be cooler than the hot stove? Is this a cat stove?

Doesn't sound right. If they circulate the hot smoke through a hot stove then how can the smoke possibly be cooler than the hot stove? Is this a cat stove?

This is somewhat of a mystery to me but I'm using the same magnetic temp indicators I did on the old stove. If the old stove top was 700 degrees you could practically light a cig on the stove pipe above. This stove you can put the palm of your hand on the pipe with the same surface temp. Somehow it trappes the heat in the box very well. I will say creosote is a problem and it never was before. Also this stove is 8" outlet and I'm reducing it to 6" right at the back. It must work OK because the chimney is 35' tall.

I have a century free standing in my family room that is the same way.the stove will be around 700 degrees on top and the pipes are nowhere near that hot.
my pipes are six inch single wall,they go about thirty inchs and turn 90 degrees and go thru wall. I used the same pipe for three seasons and decide to change them.They didnt need changing but decide to do it anyway,when i did the price tag was still on the inside turn of the elbow.(outside of pipe)
I use an infrared temp sensor to check my stove temp.

Back