American beech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im trying to figure out this beech wood too. Everyhing I read conflicts with other things I read. You say splits easy some say hard to split. Who knows at his point.:laugh:

maybe because it was soooo cold it split so easy. maybe because i was using the fiskars x27? who knows but this beech split super fast. i had this smirk on my face while i was spliting it because it was going so well. a 20 inch diameter piece by 18 inches long, took about 30 seconds to split from first hit to the last hit. it ususally took 2 hits to split in half, then one hit to half that, and so on and so on. i split to about 3 or 4 inch rounds (or squares as they come out). and once you get to the quarters, i was taking half swings so thats another reason why it was going so fast.

maybe because it was soooo cold it split so easy. maybe because i was using the fiskars x27? who knows but this beech split super fast. i had this smirk on my face while i was spliting it because it was going so well. a 20 inch diameter piece by 18 inches long, took about 30 seconds to split from first hit to the last hit. it ususally took 2 hits to split in half, then one hit to half that, and so on and so on. i split to about 3 or 4 inch rounds (or squares as they come out). and once you get to the quarters, i was taking half swings so thats another reason why it was going so fast.

I hope it works out for me that way. My luck I will have to noodle everything up.

Kevin that's an impressive tree but i have to ask one question: was it hollow?

Around this part of ohio, they all seem to be hollow. In fact i dont think i've ever cut one over 20" that wasnt hollow, or punky at the bottom.

cool pic either way

Kevin that's an impressive tree but i have to ask one question: was it hollow?

Around this part of ohio, they all seem to be hollow. In fact i dont think i've ever cut one over 20" that wasnt hollow, or punky at the bottom.

cool pic either way

No, it was not hollow. It was solid all the way down. Such a shame as you say, pretty rare to find a nice one, let alone that big. Winds snapped off the top about 25 ft up so it was just a huge totem pole. We cut the totem 2 years later as it wasn't coming back. Used a backhoe to get the rounds in the splitter.

Here is the rest of the pics of JUST the top.

85588d1231027719-mvc-008s-jpg

85589d1231027752-mvc-010s-jpg

85788d1231179622-mvc-023s-jpg

106004d1249866285-mvc-024s-jpg

Last edited:
I am Seeking to find an American Beech Tree log aprox 20-24" in Diameter. Can anyone help me. I live in Indianapolis IN area

I have a huge beech tree to cut up that fell in Sandy. I never delt with beech before. I was wondering how it splits and season time. Oh and does the wood stay good for long time or does it get punky.
Thanks, Tom
Beech is very good fire wood,seasons nicely in a year and not bad to split unless its twisted.Keep in mind that if you are felling a beech tree and its a big one it will probably have rot in the middle.Beech is one of my favorite fire woods.

i'm in the process of splitting a 24" base beech and 3 white oak trees that came down during hurricane sandy and last years irene. i'm just about all done with the beech but have probably a cord left to split of the white oak. overall, i have about 3 cords split and stacked.
now with regards to splitting the beech, i did the entire thing by hand and i was amazed how easy it was to split.
now this wood is going to be for the 2014/15 burning season. i've never had this much beech before so how will it be seasoning with the white oak? i know theres been some talk about it getting punky and getting insect. what makes the beech attract insects over anything else?
oh, i'm in northern NJ and the wood is stacked on pallats with at least 6 hrs of sun.
Hurricane Sandy? That was 6 years ago.

So is this thread.:). The new poster is looking for a log. Since he didn't ask about burning qualities, I'm assuming, he may want it to mill, Joe.

Yes Thank you! I am Looking to create a native american style drum. Planning on hollowing out the center and using the outer rings as the drums Frame. Needing a 20" to 24" Diameter log (the rounder the better of course.) I need as little as a 5" section of the log but if a longer log is available I will take that and make more than one drums.

Welcome to the site, sounds like a cool project. Where are you located? I'm im MD. A couple years ago a friend told me he had a big White Birch blow down in the woods behind his mother's house. I went to look at it and it was a massive American Beech. I don't think my 36" bar will come close to cutting the main trunk. It has limbs in the 20"-24" range. The main trunk is very round and some of the big limbs might be. The last time I looked at it the bark was still tight and a lot of it was high and dry the way it fell over other logs.

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for but your right. Unfortunately Maryland is a long 9+ hour drive from Indiana. I couldn't even guess the cost of shipping something that big. Lol I really appreciate your thoughts on this tho!

Thats why I was asking about it. Everything I read has mixed views on the spliting but say its good firewood.
It's very good firewood.
I think you'll do ok with the electric splitter. I have a 4 ton electric splitter and have about 30 cords of all hardwoods put through it so far.
Just split, stack and let it season a year and see.

He's not looking for firewood or splitting it. He wants a round piece to make a Native American drum. The quote from Tld400 was from 5 years ago. :) Just messin with ya. Happens to me all the time when an old thread pops back up, Joe
Yes reading back I see that. Sorry.
But it is good firewood. I've burned it from time to time.

No "Sorry" needed. I was just teasing. Happens to me all the time when old threads pop up. I find myself writing a reply and read on, and see I already said the same thing, back when it was fresh. Has it started to thaw out up your way yet? Calling for rain and freezing tonight, but it's bright sunshine right now, feels good outside. I'm ready for Spring, Joe.

No "Sorry" needed. I was just teasing. Happens to me all the time when old threads pop up. I find myself writing a reply and read on, and see I already said the same thing, back when it was fresh. Has it started to thaw out up your way yet? Calling for rain and freezing tonight, but it's bright sunshine right now, feels good outside. I'm ready for Spring, Joe.
Yep. I have answered many old threads not knowing until I look at start dates. Silly me.
Our weather is pretty normal here this spring. It's raining all day today, just a sprinkle type really.
Still cool at night and ground is thawing and most of the snow is gone. Some still left around and in the bush.
It's muddy on the surface right now.
I have so many outdoor jobs to do, I'm itchin'
Guess the indoors ones will get done this week.
What's your weekend weather look like? Stan

I'm afraid to look ahead, I make plans, and MD weather changes every 5 minutes. Wind is howling, but it's still sunny out. I'm going to go play with some old chainsaws in the garage, Joe.

I'm afraid to look ahead, I make plans, and MD weather changes every 5 minutes. Wind is howling, but it's still sunny out. I'm going to go play with some old chainsaws in the garage, Joe.

The wind was howling in most of NYS yesterday and last night.And how about the hangar that was destroyed in Dallas ,Tx.Some 5000 customers without elec. power in St.Lawrence county New York this AM.

Back