American Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nato

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, hope things are well. Milled this american elm today. 4, 5/4 slabs. 3,12/4 slabs. 7, 12/4 crotch slabs.I never have milled or dried elm before so we'll see what happens. Hopefully the crotch pieces will hold together? 28 inches in dia. It was a shame to cut an elm that (as far as i could tell) wasn't dead or dying, but it was getting a little to big for it's location. My friend will probably plant 5 trees to replace it anyways! It was a good day milling in ohio! enjoy!

I milled up some partly dry elm several years back, and it was pretty well behaved when drying. Those crotch slabs are beauties, but I suspect those deep bark inclusions will work against you. Nice work, and lots of it!:msp_thumbup:

That's some nice lumber. The Elm that I have milled behaved pretty well...no crotches though.

I like the doubletree hanging on the gable end of that building, too.

Yeah when i saw the bark inclusions as i removed the slabs i cringed. oh well. I plan on making coffee tables with the crotch pieces if they dry out nice enough. I really hope to get a bookmatched table out of the 12/4 slabs. The big slabs got cut at 7'6". Hopefully they will finish out at 7' for a decent table length. If not i guess there is always butterfly inlays. I'm glad to hear you guys have had decent luck with elm before. I hate cutting slabs into firewood!

I dont have too much experience in woodworking, I've only had the pleasure of milling here and there. And when i used the wood i had to hand plane it. How do you intend to finish it?

good stuff nato.

i've also had decent luck drying elm although it seems to take a while. don't know if that's due to the interlocking grain?

I saw a couple router jigs on youtube and looked up a couple threads from this website and came up with this setup. I looked at a big floor drum sander a couple weeks ago and just about crapped when i saw the price! Needless to say but, this router jig is going to have to work for a while.

yeah mike the interlocking grain makes sense to me. I know the stuff is a pia to split.

Back