American Horizontal/Vertical Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrori

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone used this splitter? Any feedback appreciated.

Details:

When you buy an American Woodsplitter you are buying the best wood splitting machine made in the USA at an affordable price. All American splitters have USA made 250 lb per square inch structural steel and triple welded wedges. All the pushblocks on each machine are individually fitted by hand to every beam so that wood never gets jammed under the pushblock.This machine is a horizontal and vertical machine with a 6.5 Horsepower Intek IC B&S motor. It has a 12 second cycle time up and back with a 26" log opening. It has an 13 GPM pump and weighs 600 pounds.

Price: $2,266.00

Last edited:
I have looked at them for a couple of years now, saw one demonstrated once. They are a good quality machine, I did not see any problems with it, and it was number one on my list.

The guy I saw that demonstrated it, had a firewood business. He processed "hundreds" of cords with it, he said. I believed him, as the machine is robust. You won't got wrong with it. You can custom order them for a faster cycling time, bigger pump, larger engine, or what ever you want.

When it came time for me to make the purchase, I could not justify spending that much for what I would do - maybe 10 cords the first year to clean up some downed wood, and then 5 or so after that. I almost bought the MTD gold or the Husky 22 ton ( both in the neighborhood of $1000) when I stumbled on the Brave 22 ton (full length beam) at $1500. American made. After all I learned from this site, I knew the "tons" rating was not as important as the cylinder size and pump rating. Those determine the horse power needed. For my use, the Brave looked better. Plus, it's beefy structure included the "toughness" like the American. And the dealer was the regional service center, just in case

I've used the Brave and it meets all my expectations and am happy with my purchase. Decide what you need, how you will use it, and look around the search here. Good luck!

You almost sound like one of Larry’s dealers. That is a better price than I had this spring. I had the coin in my pocket to go get it. I just couldn’t do. I got a 22 husky at TSC $990 + tax, 372Xp/24”bar $720 + tax, and a used trailer. Total cost was about the same for the American. I believe the American is a better splitter, just over the top for a home owner like me.

Good luck.

I have a homemade splitter similar in design to this one. My splittler also has a large steel plate on the end of the beam like this one that the log sets on. On my homemade splitter the I beam started to bend in time. To correct this they welded some more steel along the inside of the I beam. I was wandering if anyone else has had this problem.

On the other brands I've seen like swisher they just have a little round plate at the bottom of the I beam. I was wandering if the large plate at the end of the I beam caused it to bend because of the increased leverage?

I'm not trying to say anything bad about the American Wood splitter. I just noticed the similarities in the design and wondered if it had the same problem.

After talking to Larry I think I have decided on the AM-24V. I get a lot of large diameter wood mostly pine for my OWB. I think I want to beef up the standard 5.5 hp Briggs with 11 gpm pump to a 8 hp Honda with a 16 gpm pump. This will change the cycle time from 12 sec to 10 sec, better engine and more splitting force. Anyone think this is overkill for home use? I like buying things right the first time.

After talking to Larry I think I have decided on the AM-24V. I get a lot of large diameter wood mostly pine for my OWB. I think I want to beef up the standard 5.5 hp Briggs with 11 gpm pump to a 8 hp Honda with a 16 gpm pump. This will change the cycle time from 12 sec to 10 sec, better engine and more splitting force. Anyone think this is overkill for home use? I like buying things right the first time.

I think you'd be fine with the 5.5 and 11gpm for home use especially if you're splitting pine. I've used my current splitter for 6 years now splitting 6-8 cords or more per year of maple. oak, birches, ash and some beech (all hardwoods) and my 5hp 11gpm 2 stage. 20ton Hor/Vert has popped everything I've thrown at it including some rock maple the size of truck tires.

I am not very familiar with the manufacturer and it does look like a high quality splitter, but seems a little pricey for a B & S 6.5 hp and 13 GPM pump. I've been using a friends 34 ton (advertised) splitter with a 12.5 hp honda with electric start that will split through anything you throw at it. I don't know the GPM on the pump, but I believe that splitter can be bought for right around the same price, $2,300-$2,400. It is also set-up the same, horizontal/vertical, using high quality heavy duty parts, as the American you are looking at. Might be worth shopping around a little for a larger unit if you have that kind of money in the budget for a splitter. I've been holding off on purchasing a splitter to replace my broken down unit until I have a little more $ banked. I can't get the youtube videos of the super splitter out of my head. I've been searching for a used one for a few months, but since I can't find one I might have to buy new in the fall.

i would get the Honda 5.5 or 8 HP.

you can get the 6.5 Briggs but i still like the Honda better.

you can get the 13.6 GPM pump on the 5.5 honda or the 6.5 Briggs.works better than the 11 GPM pump.

i wouldn't get the vert/horizontal but to each his own.no 4 way available on that model either.

i will never buy another brand splitter other than American.i love mine.

i wouldn't get the vert/horizontal but to each his own.no 4 way available on that model either.

You are not the first person to tell me this, other than the 4 way why wouldn't you get the vertical?

My issue is if it is too large or heavy to lift into my outdoor wood boiler I need to split it. In some cases this means I will only have to split it once. Other than that whatever I can lift I throw in the beast whole. So that's why I think the vert would make more sense to me or maybe I am wrong. I wish I could try them all but instead all I can do is get some feedback and hopefully choose the right one.

i just think they are a pain.

You are not the first person to tell me this, other than the 4 way why wouldn't you get the vertical?

My issue is if it is too large or heavy to lift into my outdoor wood boiler I need to split it. In some cases this means I will only have to split it once. Other than that whatever I can lift I throw in the beast whole. So that's why I think the vert would make more sense to me or maybe I am wrong. I wish I could try them all but instead all I can do is get some feedback and hopefully choose the right one.

seemed harder on my back trying to muscle them in to the splitter.only time i ever heard and felt my back pop is trying to do it in vertical mode.i'll never split that way again! i'd buy a bigger saw to rip up the rounds into halves or quarters,then set them up on the machine.plus,it's more saw time.who wouldn't want that.not to mention the curlies are great for starting fires.you should be able to buy a bigger saw used if new is out of your price range.i use a 372 XP with a 20-24" bar.

i have the 24hh with a 5.5 Honda with the 13.6 GPM pump.it's quite impressive.even with the 4 way.i love that friggin' 4 way let me tell you.if you're ever over near Hartford CT,you're welcome to try my machine.

soon it is going to have a 9 HP Robin/Subaru with a 16 GPM pump.i have everything to convert it except the Hydraulic oil and the time.

Last edited:
another thing about the American.............

they make longer stroke machines for wood boiler owners.

seemed harder on my back trying to muscle them in to the splitter.only time i ever heard and felt my back pop is trying to do it in vertical mode.i'll never split that way again! i'd buy a bigger saw to rip up the rounds into halves or quarters,then set them up on the machine.plus,it's more saw time.who wouldn't want that.not to mention the curlies are great for starting fires.you should be able to buy a bigger saw used if new is out of your price range.i use a 372 XP with a 20-24" bar.

i have the 24hh with a 5.5 Honda with the 13.6 GPM pump.it's quite impressive.even with the 4 way.i love that friggin' 4 way let me tell you.if you're ever over near Hartford CT,you're welcome to try my machine.

soon it is going to have a 9 HP Robin/Subaru with a 16 GPM pump.i have everything to convert it except the Hydraulic oil and the time.

I have a 362 XP with a 20" bar. As far as the splitter if you put it back in the horizontal position will that save your back or is there still a disadvantage other than the 4 way on your 24hh?

You answered my other question on the 6.5 hp with the 13 gpm pump. If you are upgrading I should just do it right the first time and get the 8 hp honda w/ 16 gal pump.

Last edited:
saw should be more than enough.

I have a 362 XP with a 20" bar. As far as the splitter if you put it back in the horizontal position will that save your back or is there still a disadvantage other than the 4 way on your 24hh?

You answered my other question on the 6.5 hp with the 13 gpm pump. If you are upgrading I should just do it right the first time and get the 8 hp honda w/ 16 gal pump.

yes,there are other advantages.you can get the larger tires on the horizontal model and i don't like the wedge on the ram.some folks do though. also the log lift is not available on the vert/horizontal.

One advantage of the horizontal only type is being able to push the wood through the wedge onto a table that eventually fills and starts pushing into a tractor bucket or trailer. My splitter is a horizontal only and it's set up pretty low to the ground so I set it up on the driveway and use a small stool with wheels to sit on. It ends up saving my back from a lot of abuse. I've been using a borrowed horizontal/vertical splitter and found using it vertically is nice for large pieces. They can be rolled over and split without ever having to be lifted. Using it horizontally with the wedge driving into the wood and the location of the valve doesn't feel natural to me, but that's just a personal opinion. I think by having the option of being able to go vertical you sacrifice the four way wedges, splitting tables, log lifts, etc.

Does anyone know how much $ a log lift would add to a 25HH splitter?

OK I am starting to think realistically now. If I don't I will spend a ton of money and have all the bells and whistles on a log splitter that I am only going to be splitting 10 cords a year with.

I think I am making the right choice going with the American splitter but for 10cords a year and probably 7 out of the 10 will be Pine the AM-24H or HH will be sufficient for me. I am not in the business, but I want something that will be sufficient enough for what I need it for and get the job done. We all know the Honda is the better engine but I have had the Briggs intek and it ran just fine.

So now I just need to decide if I want the (H) working height of 15" or the (HH) working height of 25". The tires on the HH are obviously bigger but is there more of an advantage working at this height? I do see the disadvantage of having to lift a heavy log that much higher.

Any feedback appreciated.

Back