american log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam s

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a log splitter,I split 30 cords a year.Was wondering if I buy a $1200 spitter if it would last a long time or spend the extra up front on something like an American splitter.What is it about them that makes them worth the extra money?

As stated, its the quality and architecture that sets the American apart from the field. It lends itself to the zen of splitting in all the right ways.

I would like to get by with the cheaper one and save the money. Anybody use a lower quality splitter then upgraded to a higher grade machine and wish they would of done it sooner even if it was more than twice the money? Does the lay out and the extras of the American make it that much easier on the body at the end of the day? I just want to make the right choice the first time without wasting the money?

Last edited:
At 30 cord a year

The increased quality and speed will pay huge dividends in the long run. The American splitters are commercial grade machines designed and intended for use with a 4-way wedge and an outfeed table, both options that are invaluable for increased productivity. What model(s) in particular are you considering?

One feature I would recommend adding if you go with the American, is adding a second hitch to the motor / hydraulic end of the splitter. This set up allows you to hook up and move the splitter without having to move a pile of splits to get at the hitch on the wedge end of the machine. This was one feature, along with auto-cycle function, that made the decision to invest and upgrade my T'wolf TW-P1 to my current TW-2HD.

All splitters hold their value pretty well, but American splitters are highly valued in the used machine market meaning if you ever decide to upgrade, you won't take a big hit when selling it.

Take Care

I would like to get by with the cheaper one and save the money. Anybody use a lower quality splitter then upgraded to a higher grade machine and wish they would of done it sooner even if it was more than twice the money? Does the lay out and the extras of the American make it that much easier on the body at the end of the day? I just want get the right choice the first time without wasting the money?

When I have done that in the past it has always turned out to be a waste of money. When I buy tools and equipment I find that it always better to spend the extra and buy the best. I don't like having to deal with stuff that breaks when I am trying to get something done.

We have an American splitter that was made up near Ft Drum somewhere...no problems with it. Got it back in the 80's.

When I have done that in the past it has always turned out to be a waste of money. When I buy tools and equipment I find that it always better to spend the extra and buy the best. I don't like having to deal with stuff that breaks when I am trying to get something done.

Good tools arent cheap, and cheap tools arent good!

I was looking at 25hh model. I think the height of that machine would work good for me except for the big stuff which I do have a fair amount of. They do have log lifts, Are they worth the money? How often does a big round not split all the way and get stuck on the stationary wedge? If I get the Honda motor how many hours would it last if taken care of?

Are you burning 30 cords of wood or selling it? I cut and split 12 cords a year that we burn. I have two homemade splitters both run 28 GPM two stage pumps so there pretty fast. Spent the money and buy the best splitter you can afford. It will last a life time and will save you a lot of time a year as you are making 30 cords of wood. For you needs buys a $1,000 dollar splitter is a waste of time and money.

Plenty of log processors using multiple Troy Bilt splitters running hundreds of cords a year through them.

Plenty of log processors using multiple Troy Bilt splitters running hundreds of cords a year through them.

Yep, I have a friend that runs a Troy Bilt and an MTD splitter and he clears 400 full cords a years. Feeds them with cheap labor and the splits go up the conveyor into a huge pile. When the cheap splitters die he just buys a new one and keeps on making money.

Not the way I like to run, but he moves more wood than I do and makes plenty doing it so I'm in no position to argue.

Mr. HE:cool:

I recommend a dedicated horizontal splitter where the wedge is fixed to the beam. A log lift & out feed tables will be much easier on your back. The way I work, the auto cycle valves would be a waste of time/fuel & money. I use the log lift as a staging table when not splitting huge pieces by setting the log lift half way up, fill it up with wood then start the splitter. If I have a helper, one of us will keep the lift loaded & empty the out feed tables while the splitter operator can split non-stop.

Box store splitters have the wedge on the cylinder 95% of the time. This is not an option to me.

John

My American splitter is built a lot stronger than the $1000 ones at TSC and other places. I would buy the American and not look back. It will split 4 foot sticks like this with ease. I have only had to replace 1 hose on it and it is about 20 years old.

View attachment 296880

View attachment 296881

If you could sit that round on the splitter, I would say you could do with an axe with a 8 way mounter on it..

Back