American Made Hand Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im all for USA made stuff...but my problem is COST.

I use my hand tools every day at work...Craftsman, snapon, etc...and they break. They break like any other tool, except they are very expensive, and Im 45 minutes from a SEARS to replace broken craftsman stuff.

So I took 100 bucks to the local harbor freight...and I got.

SAE 6pc Ratchet wrench, colored for Identification

SAE 3/8" drive sockets, (about 12 of em) colored also

Metric 3/8 drive sockets (also about 12, ranging from 10mm to like 21mm)

3 pc allen/(sae and metric) and Torx driver set. all sized fold into the handle.

1/4" drive ratchet, and complete sae and metric socket kit, 5mm-14mm and 3/16 thru 9/16

21pc SAE/Metric go-thru socket/ratchet set.

And so far, 2 months after purchase, with every day professional use at an actual small engine shop, I have yet to break a single tool.

If Id gone to sears and gotten it all from them...Id have paid easily 225.00

The HF warranty is the same as Sears also... lifetime, you break it, bring it back and get a new one.

I hate buying the Chinese stuff...but it says something about american made stuff. Cheaper to ship raw materials to China, make it, assemble it, package it, ship it to america, distribute, and sell it here for outrageously low prices, and still cut a modest profit.

Yeah it says Americans are not willing to live in a grass hut
and eat rice and fish heads and work like slaves for nothing!!

I just got a Helko axe from harbor freight It says made in germany seems well made,wanted this one because made somewhere else than china.

Yeah it says Americans are not willing to live in a grass hut
and eat rice and fish heads and work like slaves for nothing!!

+100

I guess it isn't important to someone until THEIR job gets sent to China - I would rather pay one of my fellow Americans to build me a quality item.

If you are willing to work for $6.00 a month, that is up to you, but I am not!

The Helko axes also have a U.S. handle but are made in Germany. I guess I like things made in Europe alot better than made in China.

I bought a Snap On 1/4" air ratchet and later found that it was made in China.

Was it a real snap on or a blue point. All most all of snap on stuff is still made in the USA and sweden, but the blue point line is all foreign crap.

My blue point pencil grinder was made in taiwan or china.. :(

I use my hand tools every day at work...Craftsman, snapon, etc...and they break. They break like any other tool, except they are very expensive, and Im 45 minutes from a SEARS to replace broken craftsman stuff.

3 pc allen/(sae and metric) and Torx driver set. all sized fold into the handle.

1/4" drive ratchet, and complete sae and metric socket kit, 5mm-14mm and 3/16 thru 9/16

And so far, 2 months after purchase, with every day professional use at an actual small engine shop, I have yet to break a single tool.

The HF warranty is the same as Sears also... lifetime, you break it, bring it back and get a new one.

I hate buying the Chinese stuff...but it says something about american made stuff. Cheaper to ship raw materials to China, make it, assemble it, package it, ship it to america, distribute, and sell it here for outrageously low prices, and still cut a modest profit.

So you buy cheap junk tools and cheap junk saws....... :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm seeing a trend here. J/K

I work out of a service truck and am on call 24/7. I don't care if it is lifetime warrenty when it is 3 am and you are in the middle of nowhere usa. Who is gonna replace it for you at that hour? I have yet to break a Snap On wrench, socket, allen wrench, etc without purposely abusing it. I have broken a fair share of screwdrivers, but when you use something designed to remove a screw as a prybar, it is bound to break at somepoint.

Besides, at least I am trying to be somewhat american, Snap On is one of the few USA owned companies out there.
Most Snap on dealers set their own price and there is often a lot of "haggle room" in the price.

What are you doing to break your Craftsman and Snap-On tools? If this is at all a re-occurring event...99.99999% of the problem is most likely you. It's certainly possible that a tool can break, although, I've not personally seen it happen with these two brands in non powered hand tools without some sort of deliberate effort or abuse involved. I'd be interested in hearing about the circumstances of the breakage. So Harbor Freight is the way to go in tools is it? :hmm3grin2orange:

What are you doing to break your Craftsman and Snap-On tools? If this is at all a re-occurring event...99.99999% of the problem is most likely you. It's certainly possible that a tool can break, although, I've not personally seen it happen with these two brands in non powered hand tools without some sort of deliberate effort or abuse involved. I'd be interested in hearing about the circumstances of the breakage. So Harbor Freight is the way to go in tools is it? :hmm3grin2orange:

Well said.

+1...

I like good tools, but now and then I smack a socket or two with hammer. No real problems but... I busted a few 1/2 to 3/8 adapters, and 3/8 to 1/4, but that's my fault. Most of my sockets are SK Wayne.

Impact wrenches are hard on std sockets. Abuse? usually...

I think everything in the Grainger catalog is Made in USA. At least I haven't bought anything yet that isn't. I think all their handtools are Proto.

I have had a few HF tools. They fit poorly and break easily. Breaking them ain't so bad, it's how they booger up the fastener when they break. And the bloody knuckles. The minimum I'll go on a handtool for the past 10 years has been Craftsman. The one's I use alot, I'll go Cornwell, Matco or Snap-on. Snap-on will replace your wrench if the chrome is peeling. I like that.

So you buy cheap junk tools and cheap junk saws....... :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm seeing a trend here. J/K

I work out of a service truck and am on call 24/7. I don't care if it is lifetime warrenty when it is 3 am and you are in the middle of nowhere usa. Who is gonna replace it for you at that hour? I have yet to break a Snap On wrench, socket, allen wrench, etc without purposely abusing it. I have broken a fair share of screwdrivers, but when you use something designed to remove a screw as a prybar, it is bound to break at somepoint.

Besides, at least I am trying to be somewhat american, Snap On is one of the few USA owned companies out there.
Most Snap on dealers set their own price and there is often a lot of "haggle room" in the price.

My dad has a complete 3 tier Snap-on box full of Snap-On tools...not saying they arent nice and all but if I put a 3/8" ratchet on a frozen bolt and lean on it...snap, broken ratchet.

Ive split the open end of wrenches too.

Same deal with crapsman. Those tools are nothing special at all. I took a bunch of broken 3/8" ratchets back not too long ago. The wrenches split, and the allen headed sockets strip to easily for my taste. If im going to pay bookoo bucks for a tool, Id expect it to take some heavy use.

I must admit, I did spend alot of time as a child in a wheelchair, and on a Walker, so Ive always had a terribly strong upper body, ratchets HATE ME:)

But I havent broken a HF tool yet, save for some screwdrivers.

I will be investing in some ALLEN brand T-drivers here in a few weeks.

Cheater Bar

Just how long was the pipe you'd slipped over the handle Red? If you can routinely snap Craftsman or Snap-on ratchets without a cheater there are a few arm wrestling contests I want to sponsor for you.

Chinese wages are only part of the reason for a lesser price. Environmental concerns??? We don't care about the stinking environment! Personal protection for our workers? Whatever they think is required and can afford! Oh yeah; we don't provide MSDS'es or teach them what is hazardous.

Last edited:
My dad has a complete 3 tier Snap-on box full of Snap-On tools...not saying they arent nice and all but if I put a 3/8" ratchet on a frozen bolt and lean on it...snap, broken ratchet.

Ive split the open end of wrenches too.

Same deal with crapsman. Those tools are nothing special at all. I took a bunch of broken 3/8" ratchets back not too long ago. The wrenches split, and the allen headed sockets strip to easily for my taste. If im going to pay bookoo bucks for a tool, Id expect it to take some heavy use.

I must admit, I did spend alot of time as a child in a wheelchair, and on a Walker, so Ive always had a terribly strong upper body, ratchets HATE ME:)

But I havent broken a HF tool yet, save for some screwdrivers.

I will be investing in some ALLEN brand T-drivers here in a few weeks.

If you routinely snap 3/8 ratchets, why not step up to 1/2 and cut down on the frustration?

I've got Craftsman (made in USA) in my box that I've thoroughly used, but never abused. I've also got Proto, Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Bonney Cornwell, among others. These tools are generally built better than the Harbor Freight no-name brands.

My Thoughts

Pretty good thread. Some years ago I had a bunch of stolen tools replaced. As an electrician I tend to buy mostly Klein stuff so when I replaced the stolen wrenches and sockets I told the guy at the electrical wholesale house to get me Klein Stuff. The wrenches I got were works of art, bound in a nifty cloth holder, they are a delight every time I use them. But the socket sets at the time were back ordered so I let the salesman talk me into an "Allen" brand instead. Awful stuff, forever slipping. On one occasion while tightening a mounting bolt for a high bay fixture from scissor lift the darn thing slipped and because I was pulling towards me it flipped back and caught me in the mouth. I now have one fake front tooth:angry2: If I ever get motivated I'm gonna look into those Klein sockets. I have noticed that even Klein has started replacing items in their line with china stuff.
As far as HF goes I do use em for stuff that I only need for a job or two (Compression tester for tractor rebuild, numbered drill bit index for opening up main jet on 3120xp, roofing nailer for residing the house etc) so they are handy for that. Just got a new pair of nice looking Ariat boots for riding and SOB their made Chinka! Found out most of the $150 boots are that way but someday Im gonna get some that are Texas made and extra fancy.
I do think that overall all this import stuff is a plus in terms of American prosperity. The old mom and pop sporting goods dealers are gone and now we have Bass pro shops, Sportsman Whse etc. But if I want real expert advise I go to the local Bow shop or Flyfishing specialty shops. Lots of local hardware lumber guys been pushed out by Lowes, Home Depot but where do I go to get a 5 panel solid wood shaker door and some three piece crown mldg? Why the new door and mldg specialty supplier! When less expensive imported goods come in they dont just displace domestically produced goods the open new opportunity's for capitalism and entrepreneurs. Kinda sucks in the short run for some but consider what it would be like if computer hardware were only allowed to be made and sold in the USA. Probably wouldn't be posting this right now. Bman

Just how long was the pipe you'd slipped over the handle Red? If you can routinely snap Craftsman or Snap-on ratchets without a cheater there are a few arm wrestling contests I want to sponsor for you.

Exactly my thoughts. I am no mechanic, but over the years I have done a few things you are not supposed to do, like using pipes on ratchets. I am pretty strong, so the lady told me when the compensation board tested me once. Anyways, me, just yarding on pipes that extend the handle of Craftsmen and Proto ratchets quite a bit hasn't broken them. Mind you, they are old tools, I picked up most of my hand tools up at garage sales and flea markets. I love it, people selling nice stuff, Snap-on, Gray, Proto, SK, etc for cheap cause they don't want it anymore. I have seen newer Craftsmen ratchets, they seem kind of coarse and cheaper made than the ones I have. Race to the bottom it is, whats that saying about the high price being forgotten after years of good use?

china stuff is expensive because you need to much

normally you buy stuff for live and in china only for a week if you are Lucky
china:censored: :censored: sucks:censored: :censored: :givebeer: :givebeer:

normally you buy stuff for live and in china only for a week if you are Lucky
china:censored: :censored: sucks:censored: :censored: :givebeer: :givebeer:
huh?

its not so cheap to get things made in china any more. they are starting to put in environmental laws and laws to protect thir workers. not to mention the dollar is doing so poor that its cheaper for other countries to get things made in the US. i beleive that we will see "made in the USA" alot more in the near future.

Latest posts

Back