AmeriCorps... humboldt or conventional?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the privelege of working with some fine Americorp folks when I got sent to Joplin for state emergency duty after the tornado. (I still play soldier on the weekends) Most of the Americorpers I saw were unbathed hippies who looked like they were on their way to OWS. We're talking white kids with dreadlocks. They were clickish, a tad arrogant, and had a bit of a chip on their shoulders. I didn't get to watch any of them cutting, my duties kept me elsewhere, but the sawyers I observed were carrying homeowner grade saws with 12 to 16" bars. Hopefully your crew will be of better stock than ones I saw. Good luck!

I should think that most people in disaster areas would be "unbathed". I have come in black from head to toe after a few days out on a fire line. It is hard to keep clean in such circumstances, especially if no shower facilities have arrived.

I should think that most people in disaster areas would be "unbathed". I have come in black from head to toe after a few days out on a fire line. It is hard to keep clean in such circumstances, especially if no shower facilities have arrived.

Agreed, but such was not the case. These people had access to facilities, showers, laundry, etc. They showed up having no haircuts, dirty clothes, unshaved, unbathed and unkempt. After they got settled in it didn't get any better. They simply didn't care. The displaced citizens were cleaner than these folks. Now they were there to help and that is honorable. Maybe they were honorable helpful dirty hippies!

===

There's a big differance between being dirty from hard work and living filthy...

Well, maybe I can shed some light...
I'm a program manager of a Youth Conservation Corps in CO. We have an AmeriCorps operating grant and run our older (18-24yr old) crews (service crews, conservation crews, weatherization crews, saw crews, etc.) under the AmeriCorps banner. AmeriCorps is a federal grants program that looks different all across the country- after school programs, various human services for low-income populations, etc. And just like the crews you'll be working with, environmental impact crews. These crews are most often run through a "conservation corps" program model. Here in CO, we have a youth corps association, with ten different youth corps serving different service regions in the state.

All the corps I know of (CO, UT, AZ, MT, WY...) are running their saw programs through S-212 (or equivalent) level training.

As far as hoods in the woods- you're right on the money with JobCorps... not to be confused with a conservation corps, or AmeriCorps. Leave stereotypes at the door, but there's a good chance that you'll come across your fair share of "green hippies" ;) But not the tree hugger type

I typically hire two crews a year- that means 16 young people in total. I hire 95+% local, but as is typical with an AmeriCorps program, you'll mostly have young people from all across the country the crew.

I try, each crew, to re-hire at lease two from the previous season. It helps to have some experience back on board. Unless the crew has been on previous saw projects before you get them, you will probably have a beginner crew- most of whom have never run a saw before, and if they have, probably not in any sort of production capacity.

I'm fortunate to have a full-time staff Crew Leader for our saw program who has been with us three years (we ran a saw crew 10 months last year). This will probably not be the case with you. From what I know of other CC's in the rocky mountain region, Crew Leaders will have experience under their belt though. They've either come up through the CC world on saw crews, or have run saws for the FS or BLM as seasonals. I know of very few that come from any sort of professional full-time falling background.

As was said, most AmeriCorps members are volunteers- there are some capacities that they are earning a regular hourly wage- often $10-$12/hr vs. the meager living stipend most AmeriCorps members earn.

My advice- Be open to working with opinionated, but still impressionable young people. A high number of corps members working on a saw crew want to pursue wildland firefighting. Getting the saw experience with a CC is a great way for them to get their foot in the door somewhere.
I don't know you- but if you're good- then teach them everything you can. What I like to see is a corps member who has learned how to sharpen a chain the right way, who has picked up basic saw maintenance, who has learned how to tune a carb, etc., etc.
Make the most of- because for most of them, it will be one of the most memorable experiences of their young-adult lives.

I've got former corps members running saws on fire crews for the USFS and the BLM. I've got a guy- didn't have a GED, out of prison... punk by any standard. Earned his GED while working for us and now is a bucket-cutter for a local tree company- one of the few that has the reputation and business to stay open year-round.

Great post skier. I was just on the phone to our parks dept leaving a message why last week's project didn't turn out as I had said it would. It was a Boy Scout conservation project clearing non-native invasive cotoneaster.

Great post skier. I was just on the phone to our parks dept leaving a message why last week's project didn't turn out as I had said it would. It was a Boy Scout conservation project clearing non-native invasive cotoneaster.

That's another outlet I need to look into for hazard tree projects.

I enjoyed my time in Boy Scouts (got my Eagle). A good organization!

That's another outlet I need to look into for hazard tree projects.

I enjoyed my time in Boy Scouts (got my Eagle). A good organization!

Life. OA.

Long, long time ago did far amount of volunteer land clearing for scout camp for a waterfront and extra sites. There was a great guy back then, Dave Geer, that was involved in that camp. Some of you old-ens might remember the name Geer.

Life. OA.

Long, long time ago did far amount of volunteer land clearing for scout camp for a waterfront and extra sites. There was a great guy back then, Dave Geer, that was involved in that camp. Some of you old-ens might remember the name Geer.

I never got picked for OA. My pops did though. He's the one that pushed me to get my Eagle.

A turn back in time. Just a pack rat. Thought these might of interest.
My Scout manual is mislaid someplace along with some Arrows. It will be found.
Just to make this somewhat legit in F&L there's a Ropes Knots and Climbing. Used that for a Merit badge taught by a neighbor that was old school logger. Much later went to work for him on a clearance and take down crew with the old Bartlett outfit. Henkels and McCoy were running a lot of new ROW stringing for the nuclear stations just coming on line. Lot of work. 3.25 hr to start. Air floppers, Macs and sitka spruce extensions and Skyworkers. Manila rope for climbing, rigging. Saddles were three loops of canvas and a leather climbing belt. New ROW was strip clearing piled and burned. ROW widening was apita lot of climbing.
Sorry bout that runaway. must be losing it or its cabin fever set in. onto manuals
attachment.php

View attachment 226342

attachment.php

View attachment 226343

attachment.php

View attachment 226344

attachment.php

View attachment 226345

Latest posts

Back