Ames True Temper 4lb maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashy larry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Nobody mentions this one, but for 35-40 bucks and a lifetime handle warranty, its a pretty good deal. Mine has split a lot of wood, but i still need to find a 6 and 8lb maul for gnarly stuff.

I had one of the Collins versions similar to that.

It did ok but the shock transmission was terrible. My hands/wrists/forearms were painful for a few days after using it.

That's awesome it works well for you. That's a good price. It just comes down to the individual like anything else.

I can't see a 4lb maul being very effective in wood that wasn't straight grained. I much prefer a 6lb myself, it's balanced well and has plenty of splitting force without wearing you out like an 8lb or "monster maul" will. But if it works for your application...hang onto it!

I own about 5 mauls, the Fiskars X27 is great on some stuff, but I have split more wood than anything hands down with a nice 6 Lb maul. I also have graduated to a Speeco 25 ton, the mauls are all but retired.

I had one of the Collins versions similar to that.

It did ok but the shock transmission was terrible. My hands/wrists/forearms were painful for a few days after using it.

That's awesome it works well for you. That's a good price. It just comes down to the individual like anything else.

You sir, have posted what appears to be both the least biased and the most reasonable response I have ever seen on this site. :numberone:

Latest posts

Back