Amsoil added to bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBob99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anybody add an amsoil additive to their bar oil?

I've got an ms461 with 28" bar. The outer edge of the bar tip was flared out a little. My friend said insufficient oil but the flow was open all the way. I thought maybe I neglected to clear out the bar oiler hole. He said they don't clog, I told him mine get dirty. He suggested I add the amsoil to my bar oil so that it would be stickier. Just a homeowner cutting down trees and working on a log deck.

Imo if your using a good bar oil, and you keep the bar channel, and oil hole cleaned out, theres no reason to add something to the bar oil. I would suggest (if your able on your saw) to simply turn up the oil pump a bit.

Can also go to a lighter oil, stihl's bio oil pretty much is as thin as it gets.

Not sure I'll buy another jug of it myself, I seem to run out of bar oil before I do fuel so I keep stopping to check that it isnt low. Then again I've old hardware so maybe I just can't adjust it low enough.

They make a high output oiler for the 461. Comes stock on the R model so if you have the R then you have the HO oiler. If not, you might consider the upgrade. Stihl oilers are stingy.

I like the tractor supply bar oil for viscosity reasons.

I got a deal on a case of this stuff a wile back, last bottle I have. I agree with shorty, on your oiler. I'd upgrade if you dont have the high output pump. And too thin of bar oil has a tendency to fling off. The stuff I have pictured is kinda stringy and soupy. Normally theres a film the whole way down the bar at the end if a cutting session. At work we used the orange bottle stihl labeled bar oil, I thought it worked decent.

Attachments

• 16026188880068174601208789170230.jpg
    16026188880068174601208789170230.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Thanks for the tip on the high output oiler. I've got the oil flow all the way open on my stock 461 and still run out of fuel first

I clean the bar groove when I dress the bar rails. The slightest bit of wear on the bar rails they get dressed. Longer bars the Oiler needs to be turned up. Go by your owners manual.

Thanks for the tip on the high output oiler. I've got the oil flow all the way open on my stock 461 and still run out of fuel first
Not sure how handy you are but there’s a mod you can do to your pump to make it into a HO.
Here's an example of what would need to be done, this is for an 046 (attached link)

Or just buy the 1128 647 0602 piston and 1128 647 4803 control bolt for about $55. Or....you can buy the whole 1128 640 3250 pump assembly new on fleabay for around $110 and not have to disassemble it to change the piston and control bolt. I pm'd you the IPL and SM.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...iler-modified-illustrated.275634/post-5267095
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...460-and-why-not-361-for-ref.64996/post-960221

I run winter bar oil year-round with oilers turned wide-open on all of my modern saws. Old saws, not so much. No additive required. Bar oil additive? WTF?

If I couldn’t get winter bar oil I mixed a little kerosene with the heavier bar oil. But soon after I figured out to warm it near the woodstove in the garage then keep it in the cab in the truck on the way to the forest.

The only time I seen chunks of metal missing from the bar rails is when I tried used motor oil. I scrapped that idea. Even though I got bars and chains at wholesale cost. We can only cut corners so much.

Latest posts

Back