Amsoil in your chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I switched over to Amsoil in all my two-strokes several years ago, intending to do the same with my Stihls. But then I got a coupla shrink-wrapped bricks of Stihl oil for dirt cheap on clearance and will probably use it up by next summer and would switch to Amsoil Saber then.

Anyone running Saber in their saws and, if so, at what concentration and with what results?

I'm using Saber in my main boat outboard (100:1), kicker motor (75:1) and ice augers (75:1). I also use the Amsoil HP injector oil in my sleds. I've been very happy with decreased smoke as well as apparent increases in engine performance.

Thoughts on chainsaw applications for Saber?

What kind of :censored: oil had you been running that you noticed a decrease in smoke and increase in performance? A better question, what ratio were you mixing it at?

None of my two strokes smoke, maybe for a second right when I start them. :monkey:

clearance, I did a search and couldn't find anything on point in past oil threads, so figured I'd post the question. Hope you don't lose your mind over it. Being new to this site, it's quite possible I missed a thread that discussed the pros and cons of Amsoil in chainsaws, and I'll happily end your pain and click on a link if someone will provide one. :)

wood4heat, outboards smoke. Ice augers smoke. Chainsaws smoke (though not as much as some other two-stroke motors). Amsoil cuts down on smoke partly because it's run leaner than the 50:1 typical for most outboard applications and most conventional oils. I ran my augers at 32:1 because that was manufacturer specs, and they always smoked (well, it's always cold weather when you're running an ice auger). I run my Stihls at manufacturer specs, too, and especially in cold weather I see exhaust smoke. The sleds are oil injected, so that's a consistent 50:1 no matter which oil is used, but in that application Amsoil smokes less at 50:1 than conventional oils at the same proportion.

And I've never run junk two-cycle oil in any of my machines. The outboards got OMC premium oil before I switched. The saws, which are Stihls, get high performance Stihl oil. The augers only ever got top-quality oils before conversion as well.

I'll be converting to Amsoil next summer one way or another. I just wanted to hear others' perspectives in their experiences with synthetics in chainsaws.

Last edited:
Amsoil Sabre Prof here. half price of stihl dino, can't find Stihl ultra close by.

50:1 saws blowers 60:1 vintage air cooled trials mc, 80:1 water cooled modern trials mc

or Gary Goo, but hard to find

The Amsoil Saber debate has been very a very hot topic on this site. One way to find the threads is to click on my user site and look at the threads that I have been involved in.....there have been several on Saber.

I switched to Saber mixed at 100:1 in my trials motorcycle when I was getting too much oil in the exhaust when mixing Mobil 2T at 80:1. The Saber did help make the bike run cleaner. Trials motorcycles run at low speeds most of the time......or atleast they do when I am riding them. I do not run my chainsaws at these low oil ratios.

I have been using my weedwacker and leaf blower with Saber mixed at 100:1 and they are doing fine - I am not yet brave enough to try that mix in my Stihl saws yet. I am running the Mobil 2T at 50:1 in my chainsaws and I have enough oil to last for years.

Amsoil Saber is a good oil in my opinion.....and it has a loyal following. There are also a lot of people that would never use it. My own opinion is that the Saber is more concentrated and can be mixed at much higher ratios than more conventional synthetics. If Amsoil were to add some solvent and thin the oil out a bit and recommend it to be mixed at 50:1 - I bet more people would be willing to try it.

In the spring I swiched I we to amsoil synthedic mixing oil and mix it 100:1 for everything. I also started using amsoil for other things but that's for another thread sometime. It is a better oil. My .2 cent

Thanks, banjo. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. Amsoil gets to be a hot topic on most any thread discussing synthetic vs conventional motor oils. Considering how happy I've been with it in all my other motors, I don't have any qualms about switching to it next summer with the Stihls.

However, your comment about it being so concentrated makes me wonder if it'll mix well at 50:1 for the Stihls, which is what I'd planned on running. Any thoughts on that?

Edited: I checked out some of those previous Amsoil threads and it looks like I did my search here when I should have done it in equipment-chainsaws. Sorry, didn't see that forum at all in the directory and didn't know it existed until I looked through some old threads banjo was involved in. I'll be running Amsoil Saber in my Stihls next summer at 80:1. Thanks again for helping instead of rolling your eyes, banjo. I'd probably not run Saber lean in modded or high performance applications, but my saws are stock saws and likely always will be.

Last edited:
i can speak with authortiy on this subject as I build high performance 2 stroke engines for atvs sleds and dirtbikes my company is called flotek performance ,over the years i have seen first hand the damage amsoil (mostly dominator)does (esp,crank bearings ),dont kid yourself by reading the back of a bottle ,more oil always ~equals less friction(a 2stroke losses 30% of its potential power by friction) more oil makes more power as well as extends relibility the best premix oil i have found is klotz supertechnaplate at 32-1 on a dyno and on the track it will make the most power and contains castor which offers superior protection at high rpms

I tried Amsoil synthetic oil in my car and I was really impressed. As soon as I started my car much of the engine noise quite. That just told me it cut down on friction.

I have tried the Sabre and I like it. If you look at their oils in general they do not burn at high temps. My theory is that in their two cycle the oil does not burn. Hince the decrease in smoke. My thought is there is more oil left to lubercate the engine parts. Downside is you have to retune your chainsaw for better performance because the oil is not burning. I did have to retune my saw. I could not say if I noticed any performance difference but it ran just fine. I used the little packets and mixed 75:1. I think that was the mix. I will use this oil again.

Thanks, Adirondack. I've never had to retune any of the motors I've converted from conventional to Amsoil. We'll see if I need to do that to my saws. What did you have to do for the retune?

Been running sabre in my husky at 70:1. I agree with most that more oil equals longer service life and a cooler running motor, but the it doesn't make a differance if I drop it to 50:1. My leaf blower and weed wackers like the leaner ratio better as well. I really like the bar and chain lube, but my saw goes through it like water

I've been running Amsoil Sabre in my Stihl chainsaws, and ice auger for about 5 years. I run them both on the same mix of 80-1 to 100-1 and have had no problems whatsoever. Very little smoke, and good running machines. I've got some Stihl oil that just sits on the shelf, and it probably will for a LONG time!

Thanks, Adirondack. I've never had to retune any of the motors I've converted from conventional to Amsoil. We'll see if I need to do that to my saws. What did you have to do for the retune?

I guess the only true way to be really sure I actually "had" to retune my saw was if I had a tach and measured the WOT rpms before and after the oil change. I did not do that.
I can not remember why I felt the need to retune after I mixed up the amsoil. I think there was some hesitation on the trigger. I remember going through the paces with the L adjustment. When I finished tuning the L adjustment it seemed to rev up just as good as on the dolmar oil.
I will pay much better attention when I change back to amsoil again. I just have a lot of dolmar oil to use up so I am mixing every other tank with amsoil. I also plan to buy a tach soon.

Amsoil Products

First I don't sell or work for Amsoil.

For over 10 years I ran Amsoil Diesel oil in Mack, Cummins, and Detroit diesels in my fleet. No problems, cold starts much easier, mileage and consumption improved.

Have used their oils in Porsche engines on the race track, no engine problems whatsoever.

Use Amsoil in all my gas vehicles for many years, no problems.

Use their HP Injector Oil in the Saltwater Merc, better performance, less smoke, better mileage.

Used for approx. 15 years their Sabre product in my Chainsaws from 30cc to the mighty 076, 111cc, and weedeaters/blowers, no problem, and never have had a fouled plug. I mix at 64:1 have have mixed at 80:1 but just feel better at 64:1. (I am very particular with equipment and use Marine Fuel, no ethanol, in all two stroke applications @89 octane.)

This has just been my experience with a company that makes more than just two stroke oil, and I have run it in engines with a replacement cost of over $30,000 (Porsche) let alone a $800 Stihl like my 066.

All that being said, I believe that the quality of fuel, and careful mixing of ANY good quality oil will serve the end user in success. Couple that with the proper tuning with a tachometer and you have great performance. It is often the carelessness of the user that brings the mechanical failure more than anything.

In summing up, the quality people on this site, I have learned more about chainsaws than from any other source, of which I'm grateful to be a part of ArboristSite. My thanks to you all.

John

50:1 Dominator in the two-strokes, not too happy with the smoke. Felt I had a better mix with the Echo Pro-Blend.
Running Formula 4-Stroke 10W-30/SAE-30 Synthetic in the 4-cycle equipment and very pleased indeed.

50:1 Dominator in the two-strokes, not too happy with the smoke. Felt I had a better mix with the Echo Pro-Blend.
Running Formula 4-Stroke 10W-30/SAE-30 Synthetic in the 4-cycle equipment and very pleased indeed.

Are you running Dominator in your chainsaws?

Back