Amsoil in your chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I challenging anyone, but do you have a link.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1985.pdf

Listed as 'Very Good', under chainsaw column, I choose this as opposed to Saber because of the 100:1 ratio.
I think my smoking is due to Seafoam in my 4-cycle can before I prep the 2-cycle mix from the same can, make sense?

The 100:1 sounds like snake oil to me, did not want to risk the saw or other equipment that I run from the same can. I could be wrong - would not be the first time my fellow posters:)

Used Amsoil products now for 7 years in all my applications. Do use the Saber at 50:1 which is 2.6 oz. to gallon. No excess smoke, clean plug, one gas can in barn for all 2-strokes, no confusion. Top notch products in my opinion.

Not that I challenging anyone, but do you have a link.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1985.pdf

Listed as 'Very Good', under chainsaw column, I choose this as opposed to Saber because of the 100:1 ratio.
I think my smoking is due to Seafoam in my 4-cycle can before I prep the 2-cycle mix from the same can, make sense?

The 100:1 sounds like snake oil to me, did not want to risk the saw or other equipment that I run from the same can. I could be wrong - would not be the first time my fellow posters:)

I am no expert but like you I had trouble with the 100:1 concept. I called Amsoil about it. My impression was that their oil had been tested and ran the best at that ratio. They said they had used it in Lawn boys at 300:1 and had no issues. They did not say this but my theory.
Most oil in other Mfrs. mixes does burn a bit and adds to the combustion energy. I notice in their pro mo material their oil does not burn off at working temp. Well if it does not burn it would not smoke and more oil would be left to lubricate the engine. I wonder if this is correct?
We are use to the 50:1 because more is being burned and less is left for lubrication. I use one packet to one gallon which is 75 or 85:1. No problems.

Just stick with good oil ! At the recommended ratio or perhaps a little richer. My thoughts on amsoil.... Very good oil, but alas .... there is better out there. I use many different oils. I like different things about each. Research the oil threads and you will see oh so many thoughts about oils and oil brands. Gary's posts on oils are very trust worthy.... he is perhaps "Thee Authority on oils". Myself I am an oil "junky" and blend my own oil in my garage. If you are having trouble deciding what brand to use, just pick a reputable brand and mix it at the proper ratio or richer. Your saws and gas equip will tell you what they like by the way they run and behave. Would I run AMSOIL at 100:1 in a saw that commands 50:1 ? No way in hell ! I don't doubt that it is good oil... But it isn't that good ! Maybe 70:1 tops. I have tried my poulan on about 90:1 echo oil and it still worked great. It smelled pretty hot after with no visible damage from about 5 liters mixed this way. I would also watch what your spark plug and exhaust port tell you. Myself i know AMSOIL would have an excuse why my saw broke using their oil at 100:1. Echo, Husky and Stihl would laugh my arse out the door when she broke at 100:1 or 75:1 Amsoil mix. If amsoil is so good how come my cars don't run well on 2.5 liters of amsoil instead of 5 ? Yep they will still run with half the oil. For how long who knows ! My opinion is if you run it at 100:1 and have no problems for years.... Bow down to who ever made your equipment for making something so tough ! Also if you change your mix you should re-tune your saw as well !:cheers:

Not to get off the Amsoil topic but has anyone ran Blendzal ultra in your saws? I ran out of Husky oil so I mixed up a batch of Blendzal at 40.1 and so far so good.

I have run Amsoil in all motors for years. I ran it when there was only two options-100:1 or injector. I now run the Saber Professional in all of my 2-cycle applications. I have run it at 100:1 and 50:1. I have settled on 75:1 and all of my chainsaws run great on it. My 257 is 12 years old-much of which was on 100:1-and out of my own ignorance, I ran it too lean much of the time. The saw still cuts like crazy in spite of me.

The guy that got me going as a dealer years ago knew a bike racer that ran the original 100:1 at 125:1 in his dirt bike and never touched the engine for an entire race season.

It is exactly what it says it is and more.

run an oil (klotz)that has clean burn technolgy of a synthetic but added protection of castor ..also a huge benefit castor has more btus than gas does it actually makes more power! ,just becuase yo u have ran amsoil for a decade without the saw blowing up or in your 79 gremlin doesnt mean its the best oil or that the saw is performing to its potential ,amsoil runs these high ratios becuase it has a very high flash point unlike the premium better oils on the market ,at low rpms it is not burned off efficeintly and gums up transfers and exhaust tracts also makes starting a bit harder and can run choppy till the rpms are up enough to burn it off the dome ..its known for their aggresive marketing (free oil giveaways) with automotive/truck applications and really comparing a 4 stroke engine to a 2 stroke does not apply in this conversation considering this is about premix oil ,you guys that are concerned about smoke need to know that oil choice is critical to the way a saw runs its about the only thing protecting your internal parts.dont be fooled more oil always makes more power ..its dyno proven and not just what feels~ stronger in your hand and makes less smoke.despite what some manufacturers claims ..its a fact to reduce internal friction will always increase power and reliability

Last edited:
my 2 cents..... Amsoil is awesome for 4 stroke motors. If you want the best 2 stroke oil, go with blue marble.

http://www.bluemarbleoil.com/

I am no, WAY, involved!! with the company, I have only used the oil in my rc boat turning 14,500 rpm and was involved with the testing to let snowmobiles run in yellowstone park. This stuff let me get another 500 rpm!! to win a boat race while running 100;1 ratio. In my boat and snowmobile testing we had almost no oil residue and a complete burn.

I have used Saber in my Lawn Boy mowers and other 2cycle equipment and I have and have been pleased. The Lawn Boy mowers would really smoke using the Lawn Boy oil at the rate suggested but only smoke a little with the Saber. I use Stihl Ultra in all my saws at 50:1, just what I feel most comfortable with, but I think Saber is fine and would do a good job. I just don't want to risk going into my Stihl dealer with a blown up MS660 after using Saber at 100:1 ratio, it might work but that is a heck of a gamble.

Steve

I have used Saber in my Lawn Boy mowers and other 2cycle equipment and I have and have been pleased. The Lawn Boy mowers would really smoke using the Lawn Boy oil at the rate suggested but only smoke a little with the Saber. I use Stihl Ultra in all my saws at 50:1, just what I feel most comfortable with, but I think Saber is fine and would do a good job. I just don't want to risk going into my Stihl dealer with a blown up MS660 after using Saber at 100:1 ratio, it might work but that is a heck of a gamble.

Steve

I'm not comfortable with it a 100:1 either that is why I run it at 50:1.

I gotta ask a dumb question. Why is one engine recommended to run 16.1 and another 50.1 . Always seemed to me that engines should be the same as far as lubricating needs go. But then again I've just never really understood this. My 2 stroke golf cart is oil injected so I have no real idea what it is running but I fill the oil resevoir up about a year and after many tanks of gas there is still plenty oil left.

run an oil (klotz)that has clean burn technolgy of a synthetic but added protection of castor ..also a huge benefit castor has more btus than gas does it actually makes more power! ,just becuase yo u have ran amsoil for a decade without the saw blowing up or in your 79 gremlin doesnt mean its the best oil or that the saw is performing to its potential ,amsoil runs these high ratios becuase it has a very high flash point unlike the premium better oils on the market ,at low rpms it is not burned off efficeintly and gums up transfers and exhaust tracts also makes starting a bit harder and can run choppy till the rpms are up enough to burn it off the dome ..its known for their aggresive marketing (free oil giveaways) with automotive/truck applications and really comparing a 4 stroke engine to a 2 stroke does not apply in this conversation considering this is about premix oil ,you guys that are concerned about smoke need to know that oil choice is critical to the way a saw runs its about the only thing protecting your internal parts.dont be fooled more oil always makes more power ..its dyno proven and not just what feels~ stronger in your hand and makes less smoke.despite what some manufacturers claims ..its a fact to reduce internal friction will always increase power and reliability

Pretty much believe this whole thread has been about 2-stroke engines, have seen no mention of a 79' Gremlin...
Not sure about most here, but I am not worried about oil burn off in low rpm situations... I do not have a 2-stroke anything that does not run 90% of it's operating time at maximum rpm...not that I find any merit to this statement. Same as the day they were new no more than three pulls at full choke...then sputters...turn off choke ...one pull and in business.
Amsoil 40 years in the synthetic oil business before there was even a synthetic oil market...Pretty much created the premium better oil standard IMHO. Also this thread is like talking politics...

ran BM in my jonsered since new...lots-o-firewood under its belt,then one day mixed a gallon of gas with the stihl oil....started saw,went about cutting,set the saw down...wouldnt idle....turned up idle....went about cutting....used the gallon of mix and went back to bluemarble...had to turn idle back down.

ran BM in my jonsered since new...lots-o-firewood under its belt,then one day mixed a gallon of gas with the stihl oil....started saw,went about cutting,set the saw down...wouldnt idle....turned up idle....went about cutting....used the gallon of mix and went back to bluemarble...had to turn idle back down.

Nice! I just wish BM was easier to get:bang:

The stuff just plain works!

Latest posts

Back