Amsoil in your chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched over to Amsoil in all my two-strokes several years ago, intending to do the same with my Stihls. But then I got a coupla shrink-wrapped bricks of Stihl oil for dirt cheap on clearance and will probably use it up by next summer and would switch to Amsoil Saber then.

Anyone running Saber in their saws and, if so, at what concentration and with what results?

I'm using Saber in my main boat outboard (100:1), kicker motor (75:1) and ice augers (75:1). I also use the Amsoil HP injector oil in my sleds. I've been very happy with decreased smoke as well as apparent increases in engine performance.

Thoughts on chainsaw applications for Saber?

I'm a dealer and run it in everything I own. I mix one can of fuel at 75:1 and that goes in all my premix equipment, saws, trimmer, ice auger etc, new or old, Zero issues.
With all the emissions regs coming into play in the saw world, I would bet if the saw manufacturers would require a full syn oil and lean out the oil mix ratio, they could meat the new standards without cats and strats or god forbid four strokes

Bullitman.

Amsoil info is not BS. It has proven out time and again by many people with many different applications. I have run lots of 100:1 in my chainsaws and it is great. I currently run it around 75:1 just because. The same mix goes into weedeaters etc.

I change my vehicle oil once a year (6-15,000 miles depending on the vehicle). The oil saves your engine, saves the environment by extended oil changes(read that as less used oil), and saves money. YES I said it saves money. Every vehicle that I have completely switched to Amsoil (trans, diffs, and engine) have gotten at least 2 percent better fuel economy. I had one pickup go from 18 mpg to 25 mpg when we did a complete changeover.

As I have said many times, if you aren't willing to try it, fine, but don't badmouth something as being BS if you are not willing to try it.

Synthetic oil certainly has changed the old paradigms that old schoolers live by. I was some what skeptical with synthetics until we began using them in Worthington High Pressure 3,700 psi air compressors for circuit breakers for a major utility company. The dinosaur oil would cake the valves with carbon in less than 50 hours of run time. When we swapped to a synthetic oil we could go 2,000 hours before servicing the valves and even then--NO CARBON!

The synthetic oil does not form hard carbon deposits like dino oils. It has made a believer out of me. When we disassemble a compressor for routine maintenance, the entire unit is clean and wear is minimal, especially when compared to foreign oil lubricated compressors.

After I saw what synthetics could do to improve the high temperature, high pressures of these old work horse compressors, I began using synthetics in all of my equipment from trimmers to my high mileage GMC. I had to replace my intake manifold gasket on my '03 Pontiac Grand Prix, and upon disassembly, the engine looked like it had just come from the factory. It was so clean and absolutely sludge free.

So in a 2 stroke application there is no carbon build up what so ever. I am sold on the synthetics--- using Sabre at 75:1 works for me and all my 2 strokers. You might give it a try---- you just may like it!

Plus, we are reducing our dependence on the Middle East oil barons! Long live the USA!!!!

:blob2:

LMAO:D

I have found sooo many benefits to running synthetics. Hell, I switched over alot of people to synthetics and they thanked me.

I look at it this way. The people that can not believe it or are to closed minded to see the benefits of running quality products, just do NOT desirve my time. They are the dinosaurs that have gotten it BEAT in there head that this way is normal.

For me.......I can see and have seen the benefits of running quality oil. So far for me.

1. 1998 Kia sportage....over 220k. Drive train great, died cause of accident (wife).
2. 1985 ford f250, 460 @250k (speedo broke for the last 10 years)
3. 02 mustang with @116k, still running perfect
4. 07 caliber @60k perfect
5. 42cc zenoah pushing rc boat
6. 25cc zenoah weed eater
7. 06 stratus 90k perfect

These are my own. I push thing to the max:rockn: You add the cost up front and it is cheaper to run quality oil over the long run.....period..END of story!

For those that want to argue......Do your own homework and open up your wallet........step out of the dark ages and get a clue:blob2:

I have been using Amsoil for the last 8 yrs in everything.I usually run 40:1 or so.My Amsoil dealer said he believes in the stuff but does not go anymore than 80:1.

Used to run amsoil at 100 to 1 in early eightiesfor convenience, one bottle in 5 gallons of fuel. Saws ran without a problem for several years. Don't cut nearly as much now so use stihl ultra at 50 to 1 now.

Why is it taking so long for husky to come out with a full snythetic ! using there XP right now with 92 octane and 0 ethanol at 45-1 , I like amsoil products just couldn't get my head around the 100-1 thing and was afraid if you bump it up to 50-1 your going to get alot of carbon just like regular oils , I agree with another post , if amsoil would have made the sabre at 50-1 they would have doubled there sales , can't believe they don't see that or are to stubborn to do it.They sent out a big report on it not to long ago , they sent out I think it was 6 brand new saws to a logging outfit and had them run them on there amsoil at 100-1 and 6 saws to run on dino oil , after so many months they tore them all down and the 100-1 saws were clean as a whistle and the others were carboned up . What I would like to no is what about bearing wear !. yeah they were clean but at what price , did they mic the crank , plastic gauge the rod , that would have been nice to no , but no mention of that !!! If anyone wants me to post the test let me no I'll try to find it .

Synthetic in everything, I simply cannot afford to replace my stuff..a few extra bucks save my stuff.

These links below have been on AS in places before. Good reading. I have posted some real experiences before also on Amsoil. Never a failure.

The Stihls didn't like 50:1 even after tach and ear adjusting the carb settings. Mixing 89 Marine fuel no ethanol + Stabil.
80:1 seemed to sound strained to me on the engine and now have settled to 64:1, 2 ounces per gallon. The performance seems to be just right. After numerous plug checks, exhaust port/piston inspections everything looks like new. (Don't trust your can markings for measuring a gallon, nor the pump output. The Blitz can I use, to the fill line is 144 ounces!! Not the "one gallon + 4 ounces as advertised!) Mixing a bit under an oil's max ratio gives you a built in fudge factor. I made this mistake and it took my mix up to 71:1 from 64:1!!

Being that it is rated at 100:1, which I have run a 076 on Opti 2 at 80:1 for years and the piston/cyclinder looked perfect, it has to do with the rating on the oil, fuel/air mix adjustment, and the feel of what is right for the saw.

The way I see it running Amsoil at 64:1 is like running Ultra at 32:1 since Ultra is only rated at 50:1.

10 years ago people scoffed at any sythentic oil for two strokes, and those same people are now praising STihl Ultra even though it is synthetic. It is almost 3 times the cost of what my Amsoil costs for those concerned with the price. Which in an expensive saw is somewhat irrelevant to me. With EPA and the World getting more stringent, Stihl is this evidence of changover with their Strato saw changover, eventually Stihl will have an even higher Synthetic ratio than 50:1 and the dino oils will completely disappear from the shelves.

I measure success by no breakdowns, everyone has their own ways of feeling comfortable with what they do. The great thing about this site and the knowledge here is that we can all share and learn from each other.

Just my opinions of what has worked for 30 years for me, not to mention the tweeking along the way from other's suggestions.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/articles/oil_test/index.htm

http://www.amsoil.com/news/2009_june_saber_professional.pdf

Happy Holidays. :cheers:

Porsche , thanks for posting the sabre test , I wasn't sure where I put it !! It just seems like there more concerned with less carbon than less wear !!! Any oil would produce less carbon at 100-1 !!

Chug,

You raise a good point about wear and carbon. I have read somewhere that excessive carbon will cause lower end wear and problems.

Finding that balance is the trick.

A good test would be to tear down the test saws after 1000 hours and inspect the bottom ends. But so many variables go into everyone's operation. Fuel, type of work, style of operating a saw, etc. I'm glad the saws built today can take most anything we throw at them with reason.

For me this is a great Hobby, don't do it for pay, just supply others and myself with Firewood!

When you have success stick with it, whatever that may be!

Saw Safe.

If I read your amsoil research data correctly it seems that the amsiol 100:1 seemed to protect the chainsaws better than the regular 50:1. Is that correct. :confused:

I have used Amsoil Saber at 50-1 in my equipment with pretty much no visible smoke that Ican see, plus it smells good too. So I can run that stuff in anything that calls for 16-1 up to 50-1 mix ratio to keep only one mix around. I don't trust any oil at 100-1.

There is a dealer a couple minutes away from me that stocks that new blue marble oil. I might have to check that stuff out.

I have used Amsoil Saber at 50-1 in my equipment with pretty much no visible smoke that Ican see, plus it smells good too. So I can run that stuff in anything that calls for 16-1 up to 50-1 mix ratio to keep only one mix around. I don't trust any oil at 100-1.

There is a dealer a couple minutes away from me that stocks that new blue marble oil. I might have to check that stuff out.

I was thinking the same thing.

Well if less carbon is an indicator of the top end, and perhaps the bottom end, I would think so. But also keep in mind that they didn't specify in the test that the Manufacturer's oil was either the old dino oil or the new Ultra sythenic oil. Just have to be cautious with tests and sometimes more about what they don't say...

Here is a great example of things just not being set up exactly fair, but the sensationalism about takes your breath away and forms your opinion without thinking about what is being used:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b49_1186200691

What to note here is that both are the same H.P. but the Evinrude is a two stroke and the Yamaha is a fourstroke. Notice they didn't compare TWO two strokes. Two strokes make more power and rev faster than a four stroke. BOTH of these engines are good engines in my view.

I'm still sticking with Amsoil because of the success over the years. My 90HP Merc two stroke runs much better as well.

And no, I don't distribute or work for Amsoil.

Why I run Amsoil

I pay about $27/gal for Amsoil.I use it in everything and have yet to blow up a motor.I run it between 40:1 and 50:1.I even mix it about 100:1 in my splitter when it is super cold out since my splitter usually has 30wt in the crankcase.I save an empty six pack case of husky bottles and just keep refilling them from the gallon jug as needed,that way I always have some ready to go.I just fill them to the top so that is why I say it is between 40:1 and 50:1.

Latest posts

Back