An introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Brushcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

I've just signed up to the forum i found it through a search as i was looking for a place to answer some questions that i have. I'm from St. Albans in Hertfordshire ,England. I'm currently doing a degree in Geography and i'm on a work placement this year. I'm working at a place that does lots of different work but we do it with people with learning difficuties and mental health problems.

After working there for 6 months i realised that someone with chainsaw quilifcations would be so useful. Not just to make things easier when hedge laying and other jobs we do. But also as a way to make money from doing tree work jobs.

So i've signed up to do CS30+31 and am going to do CS38, 39 and 40 as well. After i graduate i'm also going to do the ABC arborculture (theory) course as well.

I've already had some experence with working with chainsaws i cut down a magnolia tree which was causing great problems to my parents hourse. I used a Husky 365 with a 20" bar on it. Standing in the tree chopping it up i thought i'd really like to be able to climb as well.

This leads me on to my question. I've not really seen much tree climbing and don't know whats involved in terms of strengh required fitness. What kind of equipment you need and how its all done. I'd like a quick breiif so i can make a decision if its something i'd be able to do.

Thanks

Andy

Take a look at some of the pictures, Master Blaster just posted one and I think Jason. These guys are STRONG: look at the muscels

i'm sure in terms of over-all strentgh, the blaster has me beat- guns down. but certainly, physical strength is key to success as a climber. i might have a little reach on butch though. my wingspan is about 6'6" (i wonder how much that # means to a brit). i am long and lean- i dont weigh much. i can really get out there. flexibility is also important in maneuvering around the canopy. then there is the mental toughness factor too- almmostas importantas anything else. how's your strategy deparment. another dept. i may have MB licked in is the cardio-vascular...hehehe. in any case, welcome, brushcutter! this is a good place to learn the equipment and technique required for effective, SAFE, climbing. poke around a while. i like the "let's get this party started" thread on the picture forum, and so "whatdja do today" in the climbing forum. lots of frieldly, helpful people here. good luck, jj

Wow thats a lot of mucle. i've got no wear near as much as that. Stratery wise i think i'd be ok. So far with all the tree work i've done my stratergy worked out and got the job done. Cardio wise i'm pritty fit do a lot of cycling prehaps i should run a few miles see exactly how so.

Fingertip to fingertip i'm probaly around 5'10" (I tend to use inches more than meters) probaly around the same in hight. When climbing in the tree what kind of equipment do you use to pull your self up?

My wings play out to 6'7" (just measured). I am 6'1" tall and around 220.

Mr, buy Tree Climbers Companion, look at the top, you can pick it up from sherrill, well worth the money.

16217.jpg

Last edited:
HEy Butch, go easy on the juice, we don't want you doing a Canseco on us. :rolleyes:

Bruhcutter, yes, running is great conditioning for climbing. Lube the joints; flexibility and stamina are more important than brute strength; look at Strasser, Chisholm etc; no blobs of beef there.

You don't have to be huge and powerfull, I know a guy that is about 5'8" and about 150lbs. he can outwork almost anyone, in the tree anyways. He just uses his head more than his little brother who is the same height but full of muscle from wieghtlifting. I'm 5'11" 195lbs. and I try to use both. Muscle is good for pushing off blocks or logs, and it's good to have strong hands and forearms. There is more than one way to skin a cat, everyone I work with climbs with spurs. With spurs you just walk up the tree, so we use our strength doing treework, not exhausting ourselves humping up the tree. The tree you cut down was a removal anyway so it is o.k. to use spurs (I wear them all the time, couldn't care less what anyone thinks) according to the almighty I.S.A.. Sure sounds like a workout humping ropes, you are pretty well planted in a tree with spurs. What you need is a climbing belt, steel core lanyard, nylon climbing rope and some spurs. Also, you already have experience with mental health problems, this will help if you go to work for a tree company. I am sure you will do well, good luck.

clearance said:
everyone I work with climbs with spurs. With spurs you just walk up the tree, so we use our strength doing treework, not exhausting ourselves humping up the tree. The tree you cut down was a removal anyway so it is o.k. to use spurs (I wear them all the time, couldn't care less what anyone thinks) according to the almighty I.S.A.. Sure sounds like a workout humping ropes, you are pretty well planted in a tree with spurs.

Maybe you couldn't care less what ISA thinks, but what about what the tree thinks?

Why not use a pantin and a pair of ascenders if you don't like humping?

Chucky-hate to break it to ya but trees don't think, and if they do think they sure don't say anything. That would be cool if they screamed when you cut them down though. Anyways I'm just giving buddy ideas.

clearance said:
Chucky-hate to break it to ya but trees don't think, and if they do think they sure don't say anything. That would be cool if they screamed when you cut them down though. Anyways I'm just giving buddy ideas.

I think it's pretty well established that spiking live trees is not good for them. Why would you want to injure trees needlessly when there are alternatives to humping available to you?

alright clearance, i've letcha be, so far, w/all yer anti-arborist/pro-spike chatter. now, tell me how ya gonna do this in spurs...

Funny, funny Old Monkey. I love AC/DC Angus is awesome, cool picture. Jason, I could do that with spurs, why not? Climb up high, tie in with a tautline, swing around and cut away. Whats up climbing in shorts, whats next, sandals?

barefoot's best- i got toes like a monkey. i'm just rec. climbing in those two pics.yeah i know you can do that w/ spurs, but i'd like to see it done w/out a rope. dont get me wrong. i own and use spurs too- alot. sometimes theyre irreplaceable. but you just made it sound like tying in and gettin around that way was not in your playbook. :cool:

Mr_Brushcutter said:
This leads me on to my question. I've not really seen much tree climbing and don't know whats involved in terms of strengh required fitness. What kind of equipment you need and how its all done. I'd like a quick breiif so i can make a decision if its something i'd be able to do.

Thanks

Andy

1)Buy the "Tree Climber's Companion."

2)Don't worry about your physique, climbing will make you strong. My wife loves what its done for me.

3)Aptitude for climbing is found in trees, not in books, classes or on line. You said you enjoyed your tree removal you did. That's a good sign, your already catching the bug.

4)BE FOREWARNED! You could become a tree junkie. Look at how many times Master Blaster posts in a given day. Do you want that to happen to you? :angry: :angel:

Hi Andy,

About fitness, working fitness is something you build up. I've seen blokes who look in great shape keeled over by dinnertime on work they're not used to. Those units you mentioned should cover you for most climbing operations, but they teach you the basics and assess your basic competence. With those units, and a bit of luck, you should survive your first few months intact. They can't substitute for experience, which comes with time, and after making a fair few mistakes.

Are you planning to set up on your own? If so, I recommend you get your units and work for a decent firm for a few years, to get your experience. I know of a lot of people who come out of college clutching their NPTC certificates thinking that they know it all, and that they are going to set up a tree firm and make a mint in their first year. 'Fraid it doesn't happen like that.!

Good luck, anyway.

PS What rates do they charge for hedgelaying down there these days, on average?

Latest posts

Back