An introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Acer said:
Are you planning to set up on your own? If so, I recommend you get your units and work for a decent firm for a few years, to get your experience. I know of a lot of people who come out of college clutching their NPTC certificates thinking that they know it all, and that they are going to set up a tree firm and make a mint in their first year. 'Fraid it doesn't happen like that.!

Good luck, anyway.

Not planning to set up myself yet because i just wouldn't have the experence. I'm going to do work experence with a local firm through my final year of uni. Also i'm going to run an team at the place i work at the moment if they need any tree work.

As for hedge laying i've not been involved in a contract were a customer has payed. I went on a Free course with the Herts Countryside managment serivce and they large section 100' or so. We managed to lay it all with all the volenteers so they didn't have to get a contractor in. The stuff we lay is only for educational purpous so we don't charge.

I'd imagin that its quite expensive because its quite labor instenive. I supose if you were to use a clearing saw and chainsaw it would cut the time taken back masively. Therres also quite a lot of knowledge involved what to remove and knowing the regonal style of laying.

hey brushcutter, just go for it. get a saddle (climbing harness), a couple clips, a piece of rope and get up there! start off slow and low. you will pick up on it as you go. there is, of course much more to learn than could possibly be outlined here. a great 1st step to take would be to visit a retail outlet. start out w/ a simple set-up. you're a smart guy. i'm sure you'll pick right up on it. it is LOTS of fun. enjoy, good luck..jj

jason j ladue said:
hey brushcutter, just go for it. get a saddle (climbing harness), a couple clips, a piece of rope and get up there! start off slow and low. you will pick up on it as you go. there is, of course much more to learn than could possibly be outlined here. a great 1st step to take would be to visit a retail outlet. start out w/ a simple set-up. you're a smart guy. i'm sure you'll pick right up on it. it is LOTS of fun. enjoy, good luck..jj

Well i've decided that its something that i want to do and i'm just going to regret it if i didn't go for it. Its better to try and fail rather than not try at all (i'm feeling positive today) so i've booked a basic tree climbing course which starts on Monday! All the gear provided so i'll be away. What kind of gear would i be looking at getting? Saddle with floating Ds? Acenders/decenders? nylon rope karbiners

if you take a class, you are gonna want to go out on your own all the time. like a walk in the park, except vertically :) definitely, get to the retailer. look for something like this...(forget about the blue and white coil on the right, until you plan on operatining a chainsaw aloft)

Back