An Introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckinOhio

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Casstown Ohio, Home of the original two headed cir
Greetings to all,

I've been lurking in the archives and using the search function so much that I plum forgot that there was a real time interactive part of this site. I figgered that I had better introduce myself, and share what I learned.

I am a homeowner and heat with wood(I got really tired of the utility bills that come with electric heat!)

I thought that my old SXL-925 was dead in the water and didn't want to pay someone to fix it, being as old as it was. Lo and behold, a Google search brought up the AS archives and I was on my way. A carb cleaning/rebuild kit, some tygon fuel line and a little tuning and the old girl is back at it. I OWE YOU FELLAS for that. I am a mechanic for a major railroad but for some reason small 2 cycles seemed like rocket science. Well that has since been proven a fallacy and I'm on to muffler mods!

I was trying to decide between Stihl or Husky for new saws, and after reading the pros and cons of each(Not much of that in the archives either let me tell ya) I went out and bought both, SO THERE. I took the opinion BUY WHAT FEELS GOOD AND RUNS GOOD FOR YOU to heart and like em all.

Really I have always had a favorable opinion of Husky stuff(Dirt bikes) so I bought a 142 and a 350 for small saws. I also bought an MS310 to try since Stihl has such a loyal following(plus a buddy that said if I didn't like it he would give me what I paid for it if it didn' tickle my fancy)

After running all the saws, the wife asks me which one I am going to keep.
Of course I answer DUH, ALL OF THEM!(Which I am sure you all would agree was the 100% correct answer) I am now debating which model of big Husky I am going to buy for the chores that are beyond the 350.

You guys should have seen my cutting buddies faces when the old Homelite made its reappearance in the woods, true kodak stuff there. two of them had never run a homelite let alone a big one and they were to a man WOW, YOU CAN'T STOP THAT THING! I thought of you guys on here, and that you all would have been giggling over that.

Well anyways, you fellas are a true bunch of swell chaps for sharing what you know, and THANK GOD FOR THAT LITTLE SEARCH BUTTON UP AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

Now someone tell me which 2 cycle mix is the best!:monkey:

Chuck

Since you have made yourself familiar with huskies and like them, id suggest you grab 357xp/372xp/390xp depending on how big wood you will be cutting, or if those models seem expensive or too much of saw for your chores theres always 359/362xp around...

Oh, and welcome to the site and put your wallet away while you still can :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The Dolmar seems real appealing

But I am pretty resolute in sticking with a Husky. There is no one around here(West central Ohio) that deals in Dolmar that I am aware of. I've read alot about the 7900 on here and it seems to be a whale of a saw. Perhaps I will have to just buy both and decide!(Dont tell the wife I said that)

The chores would be trees that go beyond say 24 or 25 inches diameter. My Homelite can handle them fine, but there is the whole, more power, more speed, I need a bigger motor thing going on. Plus there is alot to be said for spending less time in the wood, and more time splitting and hauling.

Believe it or not, we get into quite a few dead standing trees that are fairly substantial in diameter, and I just plain want to be the guy with the biggest saw:)

You should not be brand loyal.

Buy the 7900, That way you will atleast always have a saw that will run.
No all kidding aside. dollar for dollar that 7900 is a bargain. Happy cutting

Believe it or not, we get into quite a few dead standing trees that are fairly substantial in diameter, and I just plain want to be the guy with the biggest saw:)

The 372 and 2171 are fine saws!!! If you want to make a lasting impression a 395 with a 36" bar should do the trick!!! You could grab a 3120, but I bet you would use a 395 more. They are a bit easier to lug around...

The 372 and 2171 are fine saws!!! If you want to make a lasting impression a 395 with a 36" bar should do the trick!!! You could grab a 3120, but I bet you would use a 395 more. They are a bit easier to lug around...

I will have to agree with Hired Gun here. I have a 395 that I use for milling and it is one heck of a saw. I looked at and fondled a 3120 when I was shopping for a BIG saw and decided to go with the 395 instead. For what you are looking at doing I would suggest the 395. Good luck and welcome.

I'm thinking XP

I'm trying to ignore all the glowing reviews and positive comments that the 7900 receives and stick to my guns with a Husky. All my friends run them Teutonic Panzer saws and I like to be different.
I'm more or less thinking 372 or 395 for a big saw(big for my use, you PNW guys leave me alone on that one:) )

Chuck

Stick to your guns Chuck if you want a Husky gosh darnit get a Husky, nothing wrong with that! :clap: You are the one that is going to be running it. Let me tell you it is refreshing to read a thread from someone with some decisiveness!!!

Last edited:
The 2171 is a fine saw, but maybe you need something bigger?
attachment.php

This site done it

It was originally either Stihl or husky when my SXL quit. I ran a hand full of stihls( 031 041 029 MS290 044 MS440) and some Husky's(350 460 359)
went out and bought the 142 husky because I liked it and it felt good,bought the 350 Husky for the same reason and an MS310 to compare against it.
I was pleased with how the Stihl stuff ran, but was not bowled over like it was the second coming of salvation or anything. Good stuff, not my cup of tea!
I am stubborn, I ran that SXL-925 for everything up until it quit earlier this season, and be danged if I needed one of them new fangled saws. Now I realize that I need one of every one ever produced and 10 chains for each one and new files and more brands of mix oil yada yada yada.:jester:

Anyhoo, one thing I learned lurking on this site and reading endless threads after threads was, it came down to what I liked and was comfortable with, and I ran with that notion!

Chuck

Greetings to all,

I've been lurking in the archives and using the search function so much that I plum forgot that there was a real time interactive part of this site. I figgered that I had better introduce myself, and share what I learned.

I am a homeowner and heat with wood(I got really tired of the utility bills that come with electric heat!)

I thought that my old SXL-925 was dead in the water and didn't want to pay someone to fix it, being as old as it was. Lo and behold, a Google search brought up the AS archives and I was on my way. A carb cleaning/rebuild kit, some tygon fuel line and a little tuning and the old girl is back at it. I OWE YOU FELLAS for that. I am a mechanic for a major railroad but for some reason small 2 cycles seemed like rocket science. Well that has since been proven a fallacy and I'm on to muffler mods!

I was trying to decide between Stihl or Husky for new saws, and after reading the pros and cons of each(Not much of that in the archives either let me tell ya) I went out and bought both, SO THERE. I took the opinion BUY WHAT FEELS GOOD AND RUNS GOOD FOR YOU to heart and like em all.

Really I have always had a favorable opinion of Husky stuff(Dirt bikes) so I bought a 142 and a 350 for small saws. I also bought an MS310 to try since Stihl has such a loyal following(plus a buddy that said if I didn't like it he would give me what I paid for it if it didn' tickle my fancy)

After running all the saws, the wife asks me which one I am going to keep.
Of course I answer DUH, ALL OF THEM!(Which I am sure you all would agree was the 100% correct answer) I am now debating which model of big Husky I am going to buy for the chores that are beyond the 350.

You guys should have seen my cutting buddies faces when the old Homelite made its reappearance in the woods, true kodak stuff there. two of them had never run a homelite let alone a big one and they were to a man WOW, YOU CAN'T STOP THAT THING! I thought of you guys on here, and that you all would have been giggling over that.

Well anyways, you fellas are a true bunch of swell chaps for sharing what you know, and THANK GOD FOR THAT LITTLE SEARCH BUTTON UP AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

Now someone tell me which 2 cycle mix is the best!:monkey:

Chuck

Welcome fellow chainsaw addict! Wonderful to hear how you have faced the inevitable pull, and jumped right in!:clap: You'll fit right in here:greenchainsaw:
Obviously a man of sound mind!

I was pleased with how the Stihl stuff ran, but was not bowled over like it was the second coming of salvation or anything. Good stuff, not my cup of tea!

Chuck

Get your flack jacket ready! The get a 361 crowd will be rallying on the border!! :sword:

The 2171 is a fine saw, but maybe you need something bigger?

It sure is, but the 372xp has a bit more power according to specs (lol - pee in the ocean), and more important - the right angle on the handlebar.......:greenchainsaw:

...but I admit that the Jred look better.......:givebeer:

Last edited:
I'm trying to ignore all the glowing reviews and positive comments that the 7900 receives and stick to my guns with a Husky. All my friends run them Teutonic Panzer saws and I like to be different.
I'm more or less thinking 372 or 395 for a big saw(big for my use, you PNW guys leave me alone on that one:) )

Chuck

I have a 372xp. Great saw. I like the Huskys too, good choice. Welcome!

Back