An opportunity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need help with the really big stiff hire someone to come in for a few hours with a bigger saw. I had a huge pile of logs a few years back that was not friendly to either my processor or my ms290. A guy who I met on this site came in with a buddy and a few real nice saws and made short work of it. I think they did around 6 cords in three hours (blocked not split) First time I had seen modified pro saws in action. My CAD started that day and I eventually ended up with a modified husky 365. Not sure what you can do with your 041 but I know there are many guys on this site who might help you out.

wood and more wood

I will not be renting or buying any equipment to do this job. The most I will probably need to pitch in for using the splitter is fuel to run it. As for using their tractor, that would probably be the same deal as the splitter. If not, I will use my truck and some cable to yank the logs out to make some working room. I will do my best to segregate the wood for better price potential. As for the large rounds and being able to move them, it may require some noodling, etc. to reduce them.

I have a stihl 044 as my main saw. I have a 20" and a 28" bar for it with 2 new chains and 2 used chains.

Do you work at murphy's? I'm a Sandpoint resident, but this wood job is in Spokane. I was working in the Spokane area doing construction. Looking for a good paying job that will allow me to provide for a family. I'm the only income. I was being paid a good wage. May be still, just depends if I get called back. But heck, I've always wanted to work for myself. Probably a longer winded comment than you were expecting, haha!

I'm looking at making this whole process as quick and efficient as possible. Spending the smallest amount of money possible during the process. If I have equipment at my disposal, no charge for using them except maybe the fuel, better ahead IMO. AS I will save time and my back. I'm looking at milling the majority of this wood now the more I think about it. If I can pull in more money selling it as milled wood than firewood, I will go that route. Otherwise, it would not take much to buck them to length for firewood.

If the family friend is a no-go on the mill, then firewood it is!

Regardless, the more accomodations I get from the owners, the better. I don't think I can get any more of an ideal situation as it is. The guy even mentioned assisting me to CSS the wood!

My wife will be in on this as well assisting me, too. Heres my process of processing. Giving it thought like a production line:

1. Yank the logs, mark and buck.
2. Negiotiate the rounds into a stacked row
3. Run down the row with the splitter and throw the split wood to the other side of the splitter.
4. Take the split wood and stack on pallets maybe cover the tops with tarps.
5. Delivery time comes, load the truck and trailer with ordered amount.
6. Deliver to location and throw wood out of the truck and trailer. Stacking fee applies.

About number one; you will need a peavy at least to roll the logs to try to snag one end with choker cable. The wire rope is unforgiving and if you break the cable it will whip and cut skin and go through truck bodies and glass. The othoer issue is the rear end of the truck and if you have no weight over the axles its a waste of time BECAUSE trying to jerk the log will only work if you have enough weight and traction/adhesion to move the logs.

About number two, reread my telling you about stacking these logs,
stacking rounds and having them roll around with a mind of thier own
when you start splitting......................................

About number three, get some good heavy rolled black plastic to lay on the ground to put the splits before you start splitting and avoid having to dig them out or deal with brush growing up through the pile later(been there dealing with that)
You simply drop the splits where you split the blocks and leave them there because you are doing more work that you do not have to do.

About number four; simply create a wide windrow of wood on the plastic off the end of the splitter and then cover it with high quality plastic and make sure the ends stay down with small pieces of wood or rocks.

About number five; you have to decide whether you want thrown cord or a stacked cord.

About number six; IF you think about buying a dump trailer you could winch the logs into the dump body using a chain come along and take them to the saw mill. I have a five by seven foot dump trailer and I wish I had a larger one. If you can use a car hood all the better as there is less resistance and easy skidding.

My single axle trailer is legal for two tons has 70 cubic feet before you add the side boards
and I wish I had a second axle under it. you could add sides and just sell thrown cords at 165 cubic feet per cord.

I would much rather see you take these large logs to a small
local mill and take the small ones for firewood.

IF you know someone with a flat bed trailer that can be towed with your trucks you can
load the logs and chain the logs to the bed and take them to the local lumber mill.

I dont want you to work harder than you have to. I would call a local small lumber mill
and see if they would be interested in this bunch of old growth logs.

This would be much simpler for you and the owner as you
will make money before you even before you put gas and
oil in the saw.

You have a huge number of of board feet in lumber there
and its worth more to you as rough cut lumber.

Your fortunate that your neck of the woods burns more
soft wood than hardwood because there are more conifers than
decidious trees in Washington so selling the leftovers that the
mill will not take will make firewood.

Last but not least:

The soft wood will be harder to split with a smaller splitter because it is has thicker growth rings and will tend to fight the splitter head unless you constantly peel away the pieces as you split the large rounds and they will not be uniform.

Last edited:
Cut some of those dead pines into Swedish candles for some quick money and low workload. Might want to consider fuel usages in some of the borrowed equipment too. I don't have a bandmill but my 25 hp kohlers in my mowers run just under a gallon per hour, it adds up real quick. I'm sure your family friend isn't going to work his mill for gas money either.

Back