An opportunity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot of work in that pile, but, given you are unemployed right now it looks like a good chance to put some $$$ in your pocket. Hope it turns out well for you.

Does the nursery have a skid steer you could use? Moving all that around is probably your biggest challenge.

Those large diameter peaces are a lot of work and make a lot of splits. I doubt any of it is seasoned. It will be almost as wet as green wood so the split stacks will best be located in a sunny and windy place. It is a great find and it sounds like the owners are special people.

Does the nursery have a skid steer you could use? Moving all that around is probably your biggest challenge.

Agreed.. Moving them around will be inefficient without equipment.

I'd pick up crates and metal posts off Craigslist. They're often listed as freebies and will help you get organized and keep the wood off the ground.

The splitter like whitespider uses, the Log Boss, that adjusts, would bust up those big rounds more or less where they sit after blocking them up. Cheap, too, under two grand with the honda engine.

I see some Black Locust in the pile too, excellent wood. Don't want to go back and reread every thing. I believe you said she owns a nursery? If she does and would let you make small stacks and sell them there, to go, at $10, $20, per stack, or $35 per trunk load, you could make a lot of money. I looked at the stacks a local nursery was selling and figured they were making about $600 per cord. They were buying tractor trailer loads of split Oak at well over $100 per cord. When I was younger I could split and stack 2 cord a day of all straight Oak. You have much more work with your mix. Good luck, Joe.

At first I was thinking that the locust was actually elm. Then looking at the bark on google last night I came to the same conclusion it was black locust as well! We have got BL all over this area! I might be able to see if she wants to try and sell some wood at her place like that for her nursery customers, we shall see.

You might have half that many thrown cords of 12 inch wood at 165 cubic feet per cord. A Timberwolf TW7 with a log lift will manage this with a 12 inch block.

Here is the link to the Rainier Hydraulics home page for you since you could not find it...........................

Firewood Processors Chomper Rainier

I am not a chomper firewood processor dealer and I want to make sure that everyone knows this(They have not had a dealer network since the very early 1980's).

You need a small wood mizer band saw mill with at least two extension rails and a skid steer or back hoe to make quick work of this as the logs are straight.

I have provided you the owners list as of 2005 and the reference and information packet that Mr. Aikin has on the home page.

The sooner you get the logs sized down to 14 by 14 or 16 by sixteen with the bandsaw mill the better you will be whether or not you work with a local chomper owner. The bandsaw mill takes a long bar chain saw for blocking logs out of the math question and reduces the sawdust mess to a minimum before you block them up AND you can split up the slabs with or without a chomper firewood processor.

YOU may be much better off collaborating with a bandsaw mill owner anyway as the owner will have a both a peavey and cant hook as well as a truck and the wood will make great soft and hardwood beams obviously, and you can siphon off the slabs that he or she may not want.

Your going to need some water to wash off the logs and the dirt that are on the ground after moving them if you use a band mill.

Thanks for providing me with that list! The closest is a guy from libby, MT. He has a small one, but heck, better than nothing. I have a family friend that has a bandsaw mill on a trailer. Last night I was talking to my Father in law about it and he said the engine needs work. So I might be able to talk him into using it for repairing it.

Getting these pieces out will be a diff. story. I have my truck to yank them out with some cable and a snatch block. I would really like to get a winch. The owners have a tractor so I might be able to use theirs. Just depends on the variables... But, it might be my chance to talk the wife into getting a couple extra toys! :clap:

Those large diameter peaces are a lot of work and make a lot of splits. I doubt any of it is seasoned. It will be almost as wet as green wood so the split stacks will best be located in a sunny and windy place. It is a great find and it sounds like the owners are special people.

They are SPECIAL! They just called me today and said they are buying a splitter so I can use it. I have my doubts they are seasoned as well. They may look good on the ends, but what about the very innermost? Its gonna get stacked along their line of bushes and be in the full sun with plenty of air.

The splitter like whitespider uses, the Log Boss, that adjusts, would bust up those big rounds more or less where they sit after blocking them up. Cheap, too, under two grand with the honda engine.

I will have to take a look at this as I would like to get back into the market with my own personal splitter.

Thanks for all the good feedback, guys!

Slow down and think. This might all go south in a hurry and you could be in a worse boat, laid off and more debt.
You don't need a tractor or a skid steer to move that stuff, it would be nice but it's not necessary. You don't need a portable bandmill, or a wood processor. People on here who actually have a processor and make money with it will tell you that this wood is not processor friendly, you will spend more time making it fit onto a processor than you will splitting it.
If it were me I would spend my money on a big enough saw, saw supplies and a used hay elevator to use as a conveyor to pile it up. Either buy a splitter or do a "payment to own" deal with the nursery owners. DO NOT BORROW ANY EQUIPMENT TO DO THIS JOB. You will end up paying to fix someone's else's property and will end up with nothing. I would use the saw to cut the logs into rounds right where they lay. When you get enough rounds cut, pull the splitter and elevator up and start splitting. Keep working down the line of rounds until you get to the end. The splits will pile up behind you and will be low enough that they will dry out. If possible throw the spotwood off to one side as you move along to separate the firewood and the campfire wood. Stack the campfire wood so it dries quicker so you can sell it (dry stuff) right away for some quick working cash. If the birch is a good seller in your area I would also throw it aside for separate sale.
I have tons of equipment to process firewood but it sure isn't the most cost effective way for me to do firewood. See my thread for pics of my conveyor. This pic shows my conveyor and a buzzsaw. My speeco splitter was $1550 taxes in, cheap for the quality. The other pic is equipment I use for those really big logs.
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/153256.htm

View attachment 288413View attachment 288414View attachment 288415

Last edited:
Slow down and think. This might all go south in a hurry and you could be in a worse boat, laid off and more debt.
You don't need a tractor or a skid steer to move that stuff, it would be nice but it's not necessary. You don't need a portable bandmill, or a wood processor. People on here who actually have a processor and make money with it will tell you that this wood is not processor friendly, you will spend more time making it fit onto a processor than you will splitting it.
If it were me I would spend my money on a big enough saw, saw supplies and a used hay elevator to use as a conveyor to pile it up. Either buy a splitter or do a "payment to own" deal with the nursery owners. DO NOT BORROW ANY EQUIPMENT TO DO THIS JOB. You will end up paying to fix someone's else's property and will end up with nothing. I would use the saw to cut the logs into rounds right where they lay. When you get enough rounds cut, pull the splitter and elevator up and start splitting. Keep working down the line of rounds until you get to the end. The splits will pile up behind you and will be low enough that they will dry out. If possible throw the spotwood off to one side as you move along to separate the firewood and the campfire wood. Stack the campfire wood so it dries quicker so you can sell it (dry stuff) right away for some quick working cash. If the birch is a good seller in your area I would also throw it aside for separate sale.
I have tons of equipment to process firewood but it sure isn't the most cost effective way for me to do firewood. See my thread for pics of my conveyor. This pic shows my conveyor and a buzzsaw. My speeco splitter was $1550 taxes in, cheap for the quality. The other pic is equipment I use for those really big logs.

Finally some common sense on this thread. Hopefully you have a decent saw that will pull at least a 24" bar. Use their splitter and pile it where it is.

wood and more wood

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/153256.htm

View attachment 288413View attachment 288414View attachment 288415

Finally some common sense on this thread. Hopefully you have a decent saw that will pull at least a 24" bar. Use their splitter and pile it where it is.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The reason I suggested the bandsaw mill was because the logs are old growth and not uniform in diameter where the bandsaw mill can simply cut the logs down to a manageable size to process them later with a processor or buck them up with saw.

SIMPLY conmmon sense is labor is saved using a tractor and a bandsaw simply because the logs are brought to the band saw and the slabs are taken away/moved with the tractor.

He said he does not have wood splitter and I would assume he has little money to venture into this! A small splitter will be more of hindrance as you will end up moving the chunks to the splitter and large rounds are a lot of work and they are fifficult to move.

If he can use their tractor the better it is for him because it is a piece of equipment he can use quickly.

All a bandsaw mill needs is water to clear the blade if I remember correctly to keep the teeth clean and if he can quarter the logs with help he will be done quickly as long as he has machine to set the slabs aside.

I suugested the bandsaw as it would permit him to roll the logs to the carriage of the band saw and then simply saw the logs down and then saw them again to a 14by 14 or 16 by 16 size for the chomper AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY.

He could simply saw them into beams and then decide if he wants to sell the beams as is or block them up and split them as they are a uniform size.

He may be better off selling the green wood beams to local wood shops as unseasoned wood for their milling use anyway.

The slab wood could be set aside and used to make camp firewood so no loss there.

I am trying to help him simpy to reduce the amount of work he would have to do; If one of these logs decides to roll and he does not realise it when he is working on it or a log nearby........... he is going to lose more than he planned on.

Even if he cut 12 inch thick slabs with the band saw he would be better off as he can always saw them up for firewood later AND packaged firewood bundles with zero bark!!!!!! The idea is to save him labor and the bandsaw will do that for him as long as he has machine to move the uncut logs and slabs to cut them up later.

ABOUT A NEW SAW.
What if he does not have the money to buy a saw with a 24 inch bar what does he do then? If he can use the bandsaw mill he will save work and money and be out a few replacement band saw blades.

Big rounds have minds of their own despite all the work it takes to move them. What are you going to tell him when they fall over pushing them to the splitter? noodle the blocks and bury thre bar in the dirt in the process and then have to clean the bar and sharpen the chain??????!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
You don't need a tractor or a skid steer to move that stuff, it would be nice but it's not necessary. You don't need a portable bandmill, or a wood processor. People on here who actually have a processor and make money with it will tell you that this wood is not processor friendly, you will spend more time making it fit onto a processor than you will splitting it. I would use the saw to cut the logs into rounds right where they lay. When you get enough rounds cut, pull the splitter and elevator up and start splitting. Keep working down the line of rounds until you get to the end. The splits will pile up behind you and will be low enough that they will dry out. If possible throw the spotwood off to one side as you move along to separate the firewood and the campfire wood. Stack the campfire wood so it dries quicker so you can sell it (dry stuff) right away for some quick working cash. If the birch is a good seller in your area I would also throw it aside for separate sale.

I will not be renting or buying any equipment to do this job. The most I will probably need to pitch in for using the splitter is fuel to run it. As for using their tractor, that would probably be the same deal as the splitter. If not, I will use my truck and some cable to yank the logs out to make some working room. I will do my best to segregate the wood for better price potential. As for the large rounds and being able to move them, it may require some noodling, etc. to reduce them.

I have a stihl 044 as my main saw. I have a 20" and a 28" bar for it with 2 new chains and 2 used chains.

What kind of work are you looken for?

Do you work at murphy's? I'm a Sandpoint resident, but this wood job is in Spokane. I was working in the Spokane area doing construction. Looking for a good paying job that will allow me to provide for a family. I'm the only income. I was being paid a good wage. May be still, just depends if I get called back. But heck, I've always wanted to work for myself. Probably a longer winded comment than you were expecting, haha!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The reason I suggested the bandsaw mill was because the logs are old growth and not uniform in diameter where the bandsaw mill can simply cut the logs down to a manageable size to process them later with a processor or buck them up with saw.

SIMPLY conmmon sense is labor is saved using a tractor and a bandsaw simply because the logs are brought to the band saw and the slabs are taken away/moved with the tractor.

He said he does not have wood splitter and I would assume he has little money to venture into this! A small splitter will be more of hindrance as you will end up moving the chunks to the splitter and large rounds are a lot of work and they are fifficult to move.

If he can use their tractor the better it is for him because it is a piece of equipment he can use quickly.

All a bandsaw mill needs is water to clear the blade if I remember correctly to keep the teeth clean and if he can quarter the logs with help he will be done quickly as long as he has machine to set the slabs aside.

I suugested the bandsaw as it would permit him to roll the logs to the carriage of the band saw and then simply saw the logs down and then saw them again to a 14by 14 or 16 by 16 size for the chomper AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY.

He could simply saw them into beams and then decide if he wants to sell the beams as is or block them up and split them as they are a uniform size.

He may be better off selling the green wood beams to local wood shops as unseasoned wood for their milling use anyway.

The slab wood could be set aside and used to make camp firewood so no loss there.

I am trying to help him simpy to reduce the amount of work he would have to do; If one of these logs decides to roll and he does not realise it when he is working on it or a log nearby........... he is going to lose more than he planned on.

Even if he cut 12 inch thick slabs with the band saw he would be better off as he can always saw them up for firewood later AND packaged firewood bundles with zero bark!!!!!! The idea is to save him labor and the bandsaw will do that for him as long as he has machine to move the uncut logs and slabs to cut them up later.

ABOUT A NEW SAW.
What if he does not have the money to buy a saw with a 24 inch bar what does he do then? If he can use the bandsaw mill he will save work and money and be out a few replacement band saw blades.

Big rounds have minds of their own despite all the work it takes to move them. What are you going to tell him when they fall over pushing them to the splitter? noodle the blocks and bury thre bar in the dirt in the process and then have to clean the bar and sharpen the chain??????!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking at making this whole process as quick and efficient as possible. Spending the smallest amount of money possible during the process. If I have equipment at my disposal, no charge for using them except maybe the fuel, better ahead IMO. AS I will save time and my back. I'm looking at milling the majority of this wood now the more I think about it. If I can pull in more money selling it as milled wood than firewood, I will go that route. Otherwise, it would not take much to buck them to length for firewood.

If the family friend is a no-go on the mill, then firewood it is!

Regardless, the more accomodations I get from the owners, the better. I don't think I can get any more of an ideal situation as it is. The guy even mentioned assisting me to CSS the wood!

My wife will be in on this as well assisting me, too. Heres my process of processing. Giving it thought like a production line:

1. Yank the logs, mark and buck.
2. Negiotiate the rounds into a stacked row
3. Run down the row with the splitter and throw the split wood to the other side of the splitter.
4. Take the split wood and stack on pallets maybe cover the tops with tarps.
5. Delivery time comes, load the truck and trailer with ordered amount.
6. Deliver to location and throw wood out of the truck and trailer. Stacking fee applies.

Last edited:
I havent been at murphys for a year now, The guy I working for needs a log truck driver and skidder operator, but you gotta have a little experence in those fields too.

Yea, I've been giving heavy machinery operation a big thought on pursuing. Wouldn't happen to be for the Bennet family, would it? :smile2:

Right on brother!

That pile is alot to process for one guy. The large rounds complicate the matter.

I get the feeling some of the folks giving advice on here don't work with many larger, 3 foot + trees.

Depending on species, one round can weigh 300 pounds. Theres no way a one man operation is gonna handle those all day long, with out equipment.

Sure, you can quarter each round with wedges, or saw (noodle) each piece up but man that is adding double, triple to your time.

To the OP, ask if you can use their bobcat, or loader tractor to move the rounds to the splitter. IF not, head on down the road. I know it seems like they are trying to help you out., but its not worth injuring your back for life just to split up some fire wood.

Trust me, big rounds suck, even using equipment. And they suck worse with out it.

Right on brother!

That pile is alot to process for one guy. The large rounds complicate the matter.

I get the feeling some of the folks giving advice on here don't work with many larger, 3 foot + trees.

Depending on species, one round can weigh 300 pounds. Theres no way a one man operation is gonna handle those all day long, with out equipment.

Sure, you can quarter each round with wedges, or saw (noodle) each piece up but man that is adding double, triple to your time.

To the OP, ask if you can use their bobcat, or loader tractor to move the rounds to the splitter. IF not, head on down the road. I know it seems like they are trying to help you out., but its not worth injuring your back for life just to split up some fire wood.

Trust me, big rounds suck, even using equipment. And they suck worse with out it.

Thats why I recommended he look into that Log Boss splitter like Whitespider uses. You can roll it up to a big round, adjust and tilt the beam around it, and start busting. Bust rom either side, the top, or any angle really. No lifting or quartering, etc involved. He said it is so light it is easily moved one handed as well. I have looked at every splitter mentioned here for over two years now (keeping to factory offerings), that one looks to be the best thought out, lightest weight, just about the smallest size, yet still able to do most any size round.

wood and more wood

I will not be renting or buying any equipment to do this job. The most I will probably need to pitch in for using the splitter is fuel to run it. As for using their tractor, that would probably be the same deal as the splitter. If not, I will use my truck and some cable to yank the logs out to make some working room. I will do my best to segregate the wood for better price potential. As for the large rounds and being able to move them, it may require some noodling, etc. to reduce them.

I have a stihl 044 as my main saw. I have a 20" and a 28" bar for it with 2 new chains and 2 used chains.

Do you work at murphy's? I'm a Sandpoint resident, but this wood job is in Spokane. I was working in the Spokane area doing construction. Looking for a good paying job that will allow me to provide for a family. I'm the only income. I was being paid a good wage. May be still, just depends if I get called back. But heck, I've always wanted to work for myself. Probably a longer winded comment than you were expecting, haha!

I'm looking at making this whole process as quick and efficient as possible. Spending the smallest amount of money possible during the process. If I have equipment at my disposal, no charge for using them except maybe the fuel, better ahead IMO. AS I will save time and my back. I'm looking at milling the majority of this wood now the more I think about it. If I can pull in more money selling it as milled wood than firewood, I will go that route. Otherwise, it would not take much to buck them to length for firewood.

If the family friend is a no-go on the mill, then firewood it is!

Regardless, the more accomodations I get from the owners, the better. I don't think I can get any more of an ideal situation as it is. The guy even mentioned assisting me to CSS the wood!

My wife will be in on this as well assisting me, too. Heres my process of processing. Giving it thought like a production line:

1. Yank the logs, mark and buck.
2. Negiotiate the rounds into a stacked row
3. Run down the row with the splitter and throw the split wood to the other side of the splitter.
4. Take the split wood and stack on pallets maybe cover the tops with tarps.
5. Delivery time comes, load the truck and trailer with ordered amount.
6. Deliver to location and throw wood out of the truck and trailer. Stacking fee applies.

Right on brother!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you so kindly Old Soul for the comment.
I only wish to help this young man as I have had to deal
with messes like this before and I am extremely lazy
when it comes to making firewood when I am the one
doing it-Hence the 12 inch lengths and splitting to near
kindling size with my commercial splitter to dry them quickly
AND be easier haul in the house with 5 gallon pails to reduce the mess.

I am trying to save you work as I have been there dealing
with rounds and a relative that did not, and would not listen!!!!!

You need to set up a central processing area for all the logs.

1. you do this by creating a cleared flat area to work in.

2. you bring all the logs to the area and simply roll one behind
the other rather than end to end and this avoids having logs roll on you.
It also reduces the chance of being visited by hornets and yellow jacket wasps
(landed in the in the intensive care unit after that episode and near death experience).

3. If you can drag logs to the central pile using a car hood and move them with a peavy
or a tractor all the better as they stay clean.

4. Rolling them one behind the other will permit the rain to wash them for you.
a. rolling the log from the pile directly on to the tray table of the bandsaw will
reduce the handling and the work and the amount of dirt you will have to
contend with if you were cutting and noodling anyway.
5. If you can use the band mill for making the firewood the central location of the log
pile works to your advantage.
a. If you make 4 12-inch thick cuts per log(as needed) this gives you smaller wood to buck with
much less chance of spoiling a chain quickly-been there, done that, and I have
eight plus spare chains.

6. Taking away the larger slabs as you mill them if you leave them like that will make it
easier if you have a hard surface to work on if they have a forklift you can use.
a. You may or may not have firewood customers and leaving the wood in thick slabs
will make it easier to cut them to length and avoid dealing with dirt or small stones
dulling the chain(s).
b. Milling these logs into thick slabs will permit you to stack the slabs on an end slab of
wood to permit quick drying for firewood as the end slabs will simply become stickers
separate the slabs and they will evenbtually be cut up for firewood or made into beams
so no loss there.

I want you to work smarter not harder. If you can use the band mill to your advantage
do it and set up the logs only in one long narrow row if possible or two smaller rows one
behind the other to make it easier to move them to the band mill. YOU DO NOT WANT
TO STACK THESE LOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to remember bucking is going to take you a long time and the use of the
band mill eliminates fifty percent of the work as the slabs will be ready to be cut
simply because they are smaller in size and the majority of the work was done by the
band blade or blades with very small kerf.

Last edited:
View attachment 288543View attachment 288546

Yep you guys got me. No experience here. Despite my obvious lack of knowledge I did mange to cut around 5 cords today. The kids are out stacking now. View attachment 288549

So far they have 2.5 cords on skids ready to deliver.

View attachment 288558

Throw the 28 inch bar onto your 041 and get busy. Maybe spend 20 bucks on a cant hook to roll the logs. Make sure they get you a spitter that can go vertical. Good luck.

I would rethink it a little myself. Minimize handling, maximize fast cash flow.

Cut and split on the spot, load your truck as you go, and try to have buyers lined up to take it as is. This time of year it can be stacked at their place, and dry over the summer.

This way you get some cash coming in to finance the expenses, but can also stockpile some for sale later in the season. And minimize some of the handling. The other advantage is that this will make more working space quicker, as instead of creating more piles that cover more space, some of it leaves right away. Don't forget there will be more coming soon enough.

blackdogon57, I hear you there. I'm thinking HeXOrz is sifting thru the info we have suggested and will quickly learn which advice to take especially after he starts into the pile. The reason I suggested he start with minimal equipment and to " borrow" as little equipment as possible because it seems that equipment is designed to break as soon as it's lent out to someone. At least that has been my experience.

There is no way I would take on that job, except if the old lady was tour mom, grandma, etc.. You will spend a week or two cutting and spitting all that wood. Then you will have whooping 2 cord profit if you are lucky. Some of that wood looks like ponderosa/bull pine to me and that will take about a week to split in itself. Plus most people don't want ponerosa pine, I would take lodge-pole any day over it. I would consider taking it on as a weekend project...maybe, then spend the weekdays looking for a paying job.

Back