Anchor hitch for double line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adronetree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On a double line can anyone give me a reason not to switch to an anchor hitch on my saddle with the tail going to blakes hitch?? I've been using bowline to blakes but the anchor seems easier.
Anyone use the anchor for this?

If I have to tie (normally use tied eyes) I use a double fishermans knot. The anchor knot it fine. From what I remember the bowline is not considered a safe termination not for attaching yourself.

Would the bowline still be considered a termination knot ("unsafe") if the tail is gonna be used to tie another knot (Blakes)?

Anchor knot is fine. How come you don't use a separate split tail?

Would the bowline still be considered a termination knot ("unsafe") if the tail is gonna be used to tie another knot (Blakes)?

Anchor knot is fine. How come you don't use a separate split tail?

The bowline is safe with the tail continuing to the blakes. Not safe on its own supposedly but I've never seen one come untied...

I don't really see the need to use a split tail for a double line. Most guys I know do not. Being able to replace it when it wears rather than cut the last few feet of your line would be the best reason I suppose?
I'm not that experienced as a climber if there is more of a benefit than that then please let me know what it is...

The anchor hitch works better than a bowline because the anchor cinches around what it is tied to and will not find it's way to loading the gate of a biner.

That being said the split tail is way better than a closed system once you get up in the tree and want to move your tie in point around.

yeah thats exactly it... its not about it untying its about it move down and side loading or even opening the gate on a biner... I dont think it would be a problem if you are tying in to a snap with closed eye...

[video=youtube;-fZH4DrnHnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZH4DrnHnM[/video]

anchor hitch is fine. I use double figure 8 as a termination to my captive eye biner only because thats what i was taught. It is a little bulky but it works. Use a split tail to tie blake hitch.

Hey I was stuck on the way I climbed and tied things because they worked and I felt comfortable, but always considered other ways tried them and If it made sense to change a little I might. when it comes to the using your same rope to tie into and use for your climbing knot..... so out dated. yes it works but can be such a waste of time in the tree and you weaken your knot and rope and may have to cut the rope off to get the right slide again ( but this can take a while or not too long depending on your style of climbing ) Do some research on Split tails and Eye and Eye prusiks. Try a few different knots with it and see how they react to YOU.. change over from one crotch to another then double crotch and see how much time you can save and how much stronger your entire system is over the old ways. You then might start checking out why the industry has evolved so much over the last 10 years.... I personally climb now after 25 years with a pinnacle saddle, a double locking spreader snap, use a blue streak with an eye on each end and Vortex line with one eye, with a Tenex eye and eye prusiks that are long like 60 inches eye to eye I have long arm reach and use a schwabish prusik knot. Some people like the mechanical devices which I do use on my landyard but feel more comfortable using rope with knots while climbing. Double rope and Single rope so many changes. There are endless scenarios with so many different options, start being more observant to find out what you like. Climb safe.

I've used a clove hitch to a tail, per Jepson's book "Tree Climbers Companion". If the rope is terminated with a Blake's or similar knot in the tail, a clove hitch can be tied in-line if clipping to a biner on your saddle.

You do not want to use a clove hitch, that is old old method and heres the reason why, a clove hitch will run slide out, when climbing with same rope tied off and climbing knot system, you should be putting a figure eight identifier in case of an emergency to show where to cut the rope to save a victim. when you cut the rope at the figure eight , you have a clove hitch that has run and dropped a climber in a demonstration with Bartlet Tree and the guy died. before you try all these different knots check with the standards too. knowledge is your friend. this is another reason the split tail system is much improved as well. :msp_sneaky:

I don't use a split tail system anyway. I'm all mechanical.

Anybody notice that the guy at 3:05 looks like he has to use the bathroom real bad? :hmm3grin2orange:

Then his starts shuffling like "Oh gosh, I'm gonna crap my pants!" Then the other guy leaves to talk on his phone. Good students!

Back