...And the rings aren't even broken in yet!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantwolland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's pics n vid of the freshly restored Remington super 754! 88CC of old school muscle! And the LOUDEST saw of any in my collection...I could literally feel my eardrums vibrate in sync to the rpm's of the saw.
DSCN3371_zps1eaa759e.jpg

DSCN3372_zps1f61a825.jpg

DSCN3373_zpscb320b55.jpg

DSCN3374_zps07281cf3.jpg

DSCN3375_zpsa4e70b0e.jpg

DSCN3376_zps6aa399c8.jpg

Remington Super 754 - YouTube

I have one of those, and it needs fuel lines or a carb kit. Yours is missing the muffler screen/baffle as is mine. LOUD they are :msp_ohmy:, just like the Homelites with open stack "mufflers". The Remingtons are definitely sleek.:msp_thumbup:

I have one of those, and it needs fuel lines or a carb kit. Yours is missing the muffler screen/baffle as is mine. LOUD they are :msp_ohmy:, just like the Homelites with open stack "mufflers". The Remingtons are definitely sleek.:msp_thumbup:

I don't think they had any baffle , just a screen over the end .
GWolland, did you tear down the motor ? How much of a PIA was it doing the linkages , etc ?

It's a very nice job :rock:

I have seen a couple versions of the muffler, mine just has the screen. There is one with an additional deflector.

Regardless of the screen, it is very loud.
11-04-06007.jpg

this thing was a PITA!

I must say after all the saws i've redone the engine on this one was the hardest! I could have used a couple of extra hands to hold the block/side cases to line everything up and get the four main bolts in. I think i had the main rod bearings(that are loose all 28 of them!) fall off the conn rod 6-8 times! thats even with using grease to hold them in place. this was a resto a long time coming...one of the first saws i ever picked up at the yearly town auction back in 2008. took two years of saved searches on ebay before NOS rings came up. I bought a donor late model Bantam that looked almost identical. The bantam was 82cc i think due to a shorter stroke on the crank. the piston and cylinder on the 754 had irrepairable damage to it so i used the piston/conn rod/cylinder from the bantam that looked like new. The 754 has only two rings and the bantam uses three... My NOS ring set only had two for the 754 so i reused the bottom ring from the bantam just to fill the bottom ring land. I figured that would give it enough compression. the reason i had to use the conn rod from the bantam is that even though the part number cast on both rods was the same, the bantam had a smaller piston pin and corresponding bores in the conn rod and piston. the cylinders were identical. after installing the setup into the cases and cylinder the piton hit the top of the cylinder just before TDC. I had to disassemble everything and take some off the top of the piston. It is an older style piston ive seen on power products engines where the intake and exhaust ports are directly across from each other and the piston has a huge ridge in it to keep the intake charge from blowing out the exhaust ports. After modifying the piston down some and reassembling it it cleared just fine. The rest of the assembly went fine even though there are more parts to this saw than any ive worked on! everything must go in a certain order or you end up removing something to install something else.

I tried!

I tried fitting a piece of screen in the groove in the end of the muffler but it just blew out upon throttling it up! the original owner welded the two halves together making it one piece so an original screen/baffle wont go back in it. I have seen some with the plate with holes in it.

sorry no before photos..it wasnt scratched up that bad. the decals i just taped over during repaints. I cleaned it up and repainted it before doing this resto a couple of years ago but my colors were more like a creamy white and pale red...I didnt like them at all. So i used the colors i use on my homelite restorations and i think it pops out better.

#but my colors were more like a creamy white and pale red...I didnt like them at all. So i used the colors i use on my homelite restorations and i think it pops out better.

I agree! I did that on my pioneer. That pale yellow was ugly. Painted it a nice warm yellow! Very nice saw. Extremely well done resto.

PITA

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:Kudo's to ya for bringing one of these beautiful beasts back from the dead . You have a lot of patience , resto'ing an old Remmy . Some of them want to run forever , it seems . :msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back