Torque, RPMs, Porting...My Philosophy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be curious about that 395xp I have sitting on Terry's workbench, but it will have zero hours on it other than what Terry puts on it post porting. I think I'd like to break it in on wood before doing something like that to the poor thing, and getting 10 tanks through it might take a bit. :)

I gotta share something here........

We all like to think that we are building saws that are the strongest, fastest, meanest, etc.....

I have another consideration. After all, I just build saws for work.

Safety.

The days of getting every ounce of power I can find out of the work saws I build are pretty much over......and have been for a while now.

That's not something I really post about, but there it is. Can I make a saw that's a little faster? Oh yeah......I call those "extra spicy".

Here's the thing though.......a guy starts the backcut on a heavy head leaner.......the ultra high compression finely tuned "on the edge" machine in his hands decides to take a dump......

That's a bad day.

I still build the "extra spicy" saws for guys that want a "GTG" saw. But my true work saws are a little different. Toned down a wee bit....

These days I'm looking at ways to make them perform at least 30% better than stock, while keeping the unit as quiet as possible. Fuel economy is also a consideration, but most importantly is the unit's dependability.

Just keeping it real.......

On that note... starting a cut with less than good footing on a side hill with a large bar and a saw that has explosive acceleration is not only hard... it's dangerous.

Outstanding promotions here.
Chad, you took another leap to replacing guesstomate opinions with fact.
The DP muffler addition to 660's is big time real (hurry, buy stock in the manufacturers).
Porting the 361, and I'm sure others, will be more popular.
Great work.

I enjoy seeing dyno #s graphed. Nice work Chad!!! I'd like to see a before and after port work graph on the same saw. Not to say who builds the stronger saw but it would be kinda cool to see the increase in power on paper so to speak. (or on my puter screen)

Just make sure you get all the Stihls tested and written down before you put that 395 of Randy's on the dyno ok???
Cause that saw is gonna melt that contraption down...
From then on, all it'll be able to do is whimper and leave puddles of hydraulic oil all over your shop...

You may have to take it out back and put it down...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just make sure you get all the Stihls tested and written down before you put that 395 of Randy's on the dyno ok???
Cause that saw is gonna melt that contraption down...
From then on, all it'll be able to do is whimper and leave puddles of hydraulic oil all over your shop...

You may have to take it out back and put it down...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:ices_rofl::clap::bowdown:

Chad did you have any luck with putting together the stock vs mm vs ported 361 chart?

Brad would you mind sharing your numbers and if you had any pictures what they looked like. We port saws knowing they will be stronger but not know how much stronger and where the power will show up.

Nice work

Chad did you have any luck with putting together the stock vs mm vs ported 361 chart?

Brad would you mind sharing your numbers and if you had any pictures what they looked like. We port saws knowing they will be stronger but not know how much stronger and where the power will show up.

Nice work
That's something I have to do yet. I cut abunch of wood with this 361 and it sure is a dandy.

Latest posts

Back