Angry Nasty Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
...will a manufacturer investigate an angry nasty dealer if enough people complain? There's a shop in a great part of town and it sure would improve a bunch of peoples quality of life if we didn't have to drive across town to get decent service and an actual inventory of new tools. I think it's an old guy not wanting to close his doors but he's too old & sick to manage the place and everybody there could just care less. ...I've busted them 4 or 5 times telling me that a part for an old tool was no longer available when it actually was right there in their books. On a couple of occasions I just went back in on a different day and asked a different person and twice the part was actually in their old stock.......Everybody complains and it's a running joke at the shop across town....

I tend to say its his business let him run it like he wants to, if he wants to be a d-bag, vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere. That's what I do, I have a couple dealers like that in town, and I try to go there as little as possible and frequent the guys shop that treats me like a valued customer.

had the same problem

went to dealer with part numbers in hand, got told that it was the wrong time of day to check with warehouse for availability. so as i was looking at the plastic on display, he says now your talking, just buy a new saw.
hahaha if you think that I am going to buy a new one from someone that won't try to get parts for what I have, then think again

josgmctk said:
went to dealer with part numbers in hand, got told that it was the wrong time of day to check with warehouse for availability. so as i was looking at the plastic on display, he says now your talking, just buy a new saw.
hahaha if you think that I am going to buy a new one from someone that won't try to get parts for what I have, then think again

Funny, I was told the same thing last time I went into my local stihl dealership. I told him not to worry about ordering ANY parts for me and left. Ended up finding what I needed on ebay.

...i guess at the big boxes the employees are getting paid the same amount whether they take 15 minutes to look up a part for you OR sell you a $500 saw...and no possibility of a boss who's severely overextended. ...never dealt with any of their service departments but don't see why they couldn't do a decent job....

Big Woody said:
You are just enjoying Stihl's custumer appreciation policy.:rockn:

Now Woody you know I appreciate your business, lolol. Wait a minute you never came and got your saw, talk about bum customers,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,lololol

Its a no win battle ...... #1 You get bad service from your local dealers and then you shop off the internet and then you get hammered "HERE" becasue you didnt support your local dealer. BLA!........ If you cant get good service local ... take youre business to the internet , F--- them . If a local dealer dont want to take care of business , let him go out of business . If a local dealer dont want to find parts , fix your saw that you didnt buy there , F--- them , take your business to the internet . If you do have a local dealer that will take care of business ....... Your lucky .

If he's really as bad as you say, the problem will solve itself.

In any case, get it off your chest, Call Stihl and ask for the name of the area sales manager. Have a chat... They won't know unless someone tells them.

Rspike said:
Its a no win battle ...... #1 You get bad service from your local dealers and then you shop off the internet and then you get hammered "HERE" becasue you didnt support your local dealer. BLA!........ If you cant get good service local ... take youre business to the internet , F--- them . If a local dealer dont want to take care of business , let him go out of business . If a local dealer dont want to find parts , fix your saw that you didnt buy there , F--- them , take your business to the internet . If you do have a local dealer that will take care of business ....... Your lucky .

It may not be safe to sell this guy any more large saws!

Rspike said:

I agree whole heartidly with you, if the dealer sucks, the dealer sucks!!! I have 4 dealers around me, one is real close, I won't go in, he's an idiot!! The next closest I don't like because I have seen him rip people off, other members here think he is great, go figure! The one I frequent I enjoy, remebers me, talks to me and puts up with me drooling all over his saws!! The other one I haven't been to but a handfull of times, seem like a nice bunch, but it's 45 minutes away, so I don't get in a lot. As I have always said, the dealer makes it!! If the internet is what you have to do, do it, just watch out when warrantee time comes!!
Andy

I'm seriously not trying to start a beef here however, I wonder why it is always implied that Stihl dealers seem to be the worst of the lot? I have 4 in my area and they are all very pleasant and accommodating. They are even good with pricing once they know who you are and appreciate your business. Perhaps I'm just lucky.
The Dolmar guys are another story! You would think they would try a little harder to attempt to gain some market share. I believe they subscribe to a new approach; ignore and treat your customers like scheiss and they will spend big bucks with you! I wrote a long detailed letter to the appropriate rep group and have never gotten a response. I really like their product but..........
Jay

If that dealer wants to run his business like that, let him. he'll be gone soon enough because of nobody buying from him. what goes around comes around.

josgmctk said:

We appreaciate customers like you and ALWAYS make a point of thanking people who have made the effort to get part numbers. We've even toyed with the idea of a discount. This is in contrast to the many people who often don't even know the BRAND they have, let alone the model number. You should ask this goofball what the correct time of day for checking parts is. I wonder if it's tough to get a parking space at that hour!

Some of you guys know my thoughts on internet and box store purchases,(see my post on "E-bay and warranties"), but I fully understand what some of you are up against dealing with some of these idiot dealers. It's a shame that for some of you, a good local dealer just isn't an option. And, I'd venture to say that rotten dealers aren't as rare as the OEM's would like to think.

We have many customers that drive a good ways, past other dealers, to do business with us. There is a joke about one local dealer that nobody has ever seen him smile. EVER. Guys get talking about it and they'll say "Gee, come to think of it, I've never seen him smile either". I love competition like that!

NapalmDeath said:
That was a stupid thing to say.

You should brush up a little on your history...it was an angry nasty dealer that triggered the chainsaw massacre out in Texas

BIGBORE577 said:
I'm seriously not trying to start a beef here however, I wonder why it is always implied that Stihl dealers seem to be the worst of the lot? I have 4 in my area and they are all very pleasant and accommodating. They are even good with pricing once they know who you are and appreciate your business. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

It all depends where you go. I've got the full spectrum where I am. From dirtbag-I-would-drive-across-the-STATE-before-I'd-buy-from-him, to really, REALLY good. I have to drive a bit farther for the good guy, but I sure will. He's kinda funny looking, and he's a mere employee, but when I buy, he'll get my business. :D

But I think part of this is that Stihl holds very tight control on prices and selling over the Internet, and they justifiy that by saying that they want their saws serviced properly and customers instructed on proper use. They make a big deal about quality of service qualtiy of service quality of service.

But then they don't police their dealers.

That just ticks some people off.

We have a few stihl dealers...

I use 1 more than others.It is the largest shop..costs a little more but quality is there, and turn around is tremendous.They carry i believe every part for stihl you could imagine and they can order whatever i need for other saws.Now when im in another part of town and need somethin quick ill hit another store,but for repairs you cant beat there service,quality,and get it back to customer speed.:D

Latest posts

Back