Angry Nasty Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnnybe said:
You should brush up a little on your history...it was an angry nasty dealer that triggered the chainsaw massacre out in Texas
Yeah, nice try. Better luck to you next time.

BlueRidgeMark said:
I have to drive a bit farther for the good guy, but I sure will. He's kinda funny looking, and he's a mere employee, but when I buy, he'll get my business. :D

Hummm ........."Mere employee" the sounds of an old thread . :jester:

BlueRidgeMark said:
They make a big deal about quality of service qualtiy of service quality of service.

That just ticks some people off.

I don't buy Ford because of a local dealer. His advertisement is "Pervice (sp) for service." I've found that not to be the case. Were I to claim distaste for all Fords, or Ford Motor Company because they don't police their dealers to my liking, I'd have to think of myself as being quite the juvenile.

The difference is that Ford doesn't have a different business model than other car makers. Ford doesn't limit a customer's ability to choose from online dealers, discounters, whatever.

Stihl does, and their stated rationale is that they want to make sure that saws are sold by those who can service them.

Then they don't do anything to make sure that said service actually happens. Now, that's not going to stop me from buying Stihl, but it IS a legitimate complaint.

BlueRidgeMark said:
It all depends where you go. I've got the full spectrum where I am. From dirtbag-I-would-drive-across-the-STATE-before-I'd-buy-from-him, to really, REALLY good. I have to drive a bit farther for the good guy, but I sure will. He's kinda funny looking, and he's a mere employee, but when I buy, he'll get my business. :D

But I think part of this is that Stihl holds very tight control on prices and selling over the Internet, and they justifiy that by saying that they want their saws serviced properly and customers instructed on proper use. They make a big deal about quality of service qualtiy of service quality of service.

But then they don't police their dealers.

That just ticks some people off.

Sniff, sniff, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I smell a sale in this thread. Gonna go shine up a 440 and get it ready,hehe.

Mark I must admit you must have some kind of esp or something. Today a guy came in with two FS85 trimmers and a MS290 chainsaw. He wanted all 3 tuned up. I said no problem. I asked do they run and he said yes but the saw he said would start only and not run. Being a 290 the first thing you look for when you hear that is a rotted out fuel hose and sure enough it was split wide open. I pointed it out to him he was wow how did you know that. He goes onto to say I had alot of trouble with that saw. I asked what kind of trouble. He said it caught on fire right after he bought it a few years ago. I think hmmm, chain break left on. Sure enough he said he left the chain break on and melted the housing so bad it caught fire. He took it back where he bought it and went around and around with the dealer because they never told him about the chain break when he bought it. Needles to say he went on and said Stihl Inc. got involved and took control of the situation. They, Stihl Inc, supplied the dealer a new case free of charge and apparently gave the dealer hell for not going over the saw with the guy when they sold it to him. The dealer did the work, Stihl supplied the parts and everyone was happy.

Moral of all that is just like you stated Mark, Stihl is indeed very fussy about making sure the customer is well informed of the product he's buying. That dealer got caught with the take your money and see ya deal and caught hell so what you said is true Mark, 100%. Of last note the guy told me the name of that dealer and not suprising they're no longer in business. They went under last year and I got stuck fixing alot of what was left over when they shut the doors. Did I complain, shoot no, more the better. I picked up alot of customers when they shut the doors and so far I've kept each and every one happy and coming back and will continue to treatem right.

After reading this topic, I'm with you brother. The problem is chainsaws are not a hot seller. The dealer has to sell other items to make a profit. It seems my dealer has become complacement. They do just fine in renting equipment and selling a saw on the side, and make a good living at doing that.
Unfortunately, my dealer charges $70 just to touch my saw no if's ands or but's.

I believe Stihl does not want everone in town to sell Stihl products. They want exclusive dealers. Like many other products (guns, fishing rods, cars, etc.). Does Stihl listen? You tell me.

My impression from reading threads on this forum and just watching who is able to stay in business selling Stihl, I have the opinion that they really want to take care of their dealers. I like that better than a company that will allow their products to be sold in box stores and online. But then again, I have several good dealers around here, and I know who the better ones are...

Latest posts

Back